Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creativegoth Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

May 4, 2014, 01:07 AM
    vista updates
    I've read in the magazines that Microsoft is going to stop updates for Vista, will this leave my computer open to attack, I use AVG free.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 4, 2014, 01:10 AM
    Yes they will End of Life it at some point in the future.
    This is perfectly normal and recently happened to XP.
    It's all part of the upgrade path to push you into getting a more reliable machine and OS.

May 4, 2014, 01:14 AM
    So does that mean I need to buy another computer, or I could be hacked.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 4, 2014, 01:31 AM
    You could be hacked whatever you do anyways..
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 4, 2014, 05:47 AM
    No you do not need to buy another computer. But I would recommend upgrading your PC to Windows 7. A Vista machine should run Win 7 without a problem. As long as your Anti-Virus program is up to date, you have reasonable protection, but no protection is foolproof.

As Ben noted, all versions of Windows eventually become "sunsetted". This means that Microsoft will no longer work on updates to the OS. Vista Support will continue to April 2017, so there is no rush for you.

But Win 7 is a better, more stable version of Windows.

As noted, There are many ways to "hack" a computer. An anti-virus is only one protection. You need a firewall and anit-malware protections as well. What exactly do you fear happening?

May 7, 2014, 06:27 AM
    I use the free AVG am I protected, or do I have to have one of those paid versions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 7, 2014, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by creativegoth View Post
    I use the free AVG am I protected, or do I have to have one of those paid versions?
    I am not a big fan of free anti-virus tools. New viruses come out daily. To be protected, the anti-virus company needs to constantly research, catch, test and release new signature files regularly. This takes money So I don't see how the free ones can do it.
    donnaknight Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2014, 07:22 PM
    Free AVG does offer some protection as long as they keep updating it and you keep yours updated. It's certainly better than nothing. However, some security holes cannot be plugged by antivirus software. They need to be fixed by an update to Windows. If this type of security hole in Vista is discovered, you will be vulnerable to hacking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Copy Vista (not working) User folder to another working Vista HD [ 1 Answers ]

Solving: 1) How to Copy Newest User Data (12-12-09) from Newest C Drive whose operating system will no longer boot up and the HD now is in a USB exteral storage unit; 2) Copy into working restored older Acronis backup of 9-10-2009. Best Strategy please:? Other strategies? I have available...

New Updates [ 8 Answers ]

Sometimes when I log on to my computer,a window will pop up that says,"new updates are ready to be installed to your computer". My question is should I always install these new updates,and how can I tell when to install or not to install.

Vista NLA Service won't start after installing updates [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just installed some Vista updates yesterday and now I can't get online. When I bring the mouse over the connectivity icon at the task bar I get this message: "Connection status: unknown The dependency service or group failed to start" I figured out that the service failed to start...

Vista gets error message that "vista has timed out" while trying to back-up [ 2 Answers ]

This machine has been doing this for over a month and I can't solve the problem. When I attempt to back-up disk onto external drive I get the meesage that back-up is not complete because Vista has timed-out.

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

View more questions Search