Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scout11 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
    Never signed lease, landlord suing for back rent, but I paid it!
    I rented a trailer for 2 years, told the landlord I was moving out. The electricity was in his name, not mine. Rent was paid up until the 1st of August. I got an eviction notice at the end of July, called the landlord and he said it was a mistake! I then moved out two weeks later.

Now he has filed a small claim trying to sue me for back rent. The thing is, sometimes I gave him a check, sometimes I gave him cash. I do have a handwritten note he gave me stating I owed 350.00 in rent and also electric, but the electric is in his name, not mine! He now says it is 900.00 in back rent! BS!

There was never an agreement in writing and I never got a receipt. I know how stupid this sounds but I am 23 and this was my first rental.

I decided to move when he offered to take the rent out in trade.

Scout

Does he have a case?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 01:04 PM

He has a case, sure. Will he win? From how you explain it, doubtful. You don't have anything that proves that you paid, but he doesn't have anything proving you ever agreed to.

You say he offered to take it out in trade? Is that to infer he was making a sexual proposition?

Mention that in court. It won't play well for him.
    scout11 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 01:19 PM
    You say he offered to take it out in trade? Is that to infer he was making a sexual proposition?

Yeah, he always said creepy stuff like that, I just paid him his rent and ignored it

I need an attorney I guess but I can't afford one what to do?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2009, 01:21 PM

You can't take an attorney to small claims court. You just go and tell them your side of things. There is nothing formal about it. Its 'mostly' like the peoples court or judge judy... just more boring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Friend & I signed a lease, paid rent & deposit, now I am not moving in [ 2 Answers ]

My Niece and her "friend" signed a lease to rent this home together, my niece can not move in due to her roommate has invited her boyfriend and another man to live with them. Both men are not on the lease, nor do they have a job and are refusing to leave. My Niece moved all her belongings in and...

Rent increase with signed lease? [ 5 Answers ]

Living in Tioga county PA. My daughter is about 7 months into her 3 yr lease. She received a visit from her landlord. He stated that she was in violation of her lease. The violations would have to be corrected and her rent is going up $50 a month. She has a signed 3 yr lease that includes the rent...

Lease renewal - roommate hasn't signed new lease but will not leave or pay rent. [ 6 Answers ]

My roommate/best friend and I have lived in the same three bedroom apartment in New Jersey for 4 years. This past year we took in a 3rd roommate that we had met through friends. Upon her moving in the 3rd roommate signed the current lease agreement, which is now due to end in a few days. About...

Never signed lease. Behind on rent. [ 6 Answers ]

Never signed lease on current apartment. Current apartment #10 wasn't available when I moved. Landlord gave me smaller apartment #5 (I did sign lease on #5) & I then moved into #10 a month later. (He just handed over keys to #10). Due to a whole different mess, my checks to landlord didn't go...

View more questions Search