Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcarr111 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Trane XL Series Heat/AC only blowing cold air
    Here is the scenario:

House is 13 years old with Trane XL 14i central heat/air unit.

We have lived in the house for 7 months and a/c worked fine and heat worked great until last night.

With the system turned to auto and set to 69, the fan blows nothing but cold air and the house will not warm above 56 degrees. I must admit I checked the air filter and it was horribly dirty, I admit I dropped the ball and haven't changed it in the 7 months.

So, the system is not coming on at all outside- only the fan inside.

Could I have damaged the system by running it so long without changing the air filter?

What would you suggest I try to do prior to calling service?

THanks.
    wayne0418 Posts: 51, Reputation: 9

Dec 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
    First check the power source. Then check your control panel. Normaly there are 2 motors on heating and air. One out side on the unit and the outhwer is a blower unit inside the house. Becarful thouw ac ar 220v 60hz. It can kill! Check the motor copacitor. Be carfull. Discharge it properly then use a multimeder to check the cap. It should go down tord being closed then should read open. Is it gas or electrick. If it is electrick it normaly has heating elements lick a stove. But if the out side fane is not turning on it is probably the cap. Or the motor.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trane Heater.blowing air, ONLY 62*F Heat [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Trane Electric Central Heater/AC. The heater portion has worked fine (maintains 70*F temp) since we moved into our new house, then all of a sudden yesterday it will not heat above 62*F. There is strong air coming from the floor vents on regular heat and emergency heat, but it does...

New Trane AC/Htg - AC not blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I had a complete new Trane AC/Htng system installed in August 2006. We've been in cooler temperatures but have warmed up. Today, I turned the thermostat to "cool" and it has been running and running but the temperature is just rising, rising, rising. It's at 77 now - not too bad, I know, but...

Heat blowing cold on a Rheem RCBA3765AS17 [ 3 Answers ]

My Rheem central heat and air is not working. Most important now is the heat. The heat comes out, but the air blows cold. Before I spend the money for an expensive expert... is there any hope of me fixing it myself... or doing some checks so I have an idea what is wrong to save time and money if...

Trane XL80 blowing cold air [ 3 Answers ]

My mom's Trane XL80 is blowing cold air. Not always, just sometimes. The first serviceman said it was a dirty filter. So, the filter was changed, and it started happening again. The second serviceman (different company) said it might need a fresh air intake. Mom's house is approx 90 years old, the...

View more questions Search