Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    syphon_filter Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Foreign income exclusion
    Hi All,

Quick question:

I am a Canadian citizen who was working in the US (H1B Visa) from June 2006 to March 2009. From March 2009 - March 2010 I have been working in Japan and after this, will return to continue working in the US.

When I file taxes in the US as a Resident Alien in 2009 can I ($91.4K) claim the foreign income exclusion given I have satisfied physical presence test but am not a US citizen or green card holder?

Thanks,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 09:06 PM

If you were away from U.S. for 330 days in a row between March 2009 and March 2010, you can use Form 2555 Foreign Income Exclusion.
    You must also report any foreign interest earned.
    Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Income Exclusion [ 2 Answers ]

I am using Turbo Tax for tax planning. I wanted to see how the foreign income is treated, so I put the following scenario: Ordinary US income of $10,000 and foreign income of $4,000 I see that Turbo Tax calculates AGI as $6,000. I thought "foreign income exclusion" means that you don't pay...

Am I eligible for Foreign Income Exclusion? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India and on H1B visa. I was working in US from Aug 2006 to Aug 2007. During the year 2007, I was paid in India as well. For the period, Jan 07 to Dec 07, I was paid about 8000$ equivalent of Indian rupees in India. Can I claim this amount as Foreign Income Exclusion? If so, which...

Foreign income exclusion test [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir Please let me know if I am right in claiming foreign income exclusion for 2006. I am a resident alien and I hold a faculty position in a university in USA. In September 2006, I moved abroad after obtaining leave from my present job. 1) I pass the tax home test because I have taken...

Foreign Income Exclusion [ 11 Answers ]

Hi experts I am an Indian national, entered the US on July 16th, 2006 on H1B visa and continued to work in the US for the rest of the year. Prior to that I was working in Singapore for over six years continuously since 1999, of which the last 3.5 years were as permanent resident there (including...

View more questions Search