Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Feb 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
    There never was a Jesus? God?
    I'm an atheist and have been since I was very young. I always had a great argument due to being brought up in a religious home, but never had the answer as to how religion came into play. My friend brought this video over to my house and it seemed a little boring at first, then about ten minutes into it, I realized this may very well be the answer to my question! I've researched arguments against the facts here and have found none that out weigh the obvious. The thing is, I'm shocked at how it was in my face and every ones face all this time. Please watch this segment and tell me what you think and if you can see another truth. Best regards, Greg Q

Zeitgeist - The Movie, 2007
    nicki143 Posts: 187, Reputation: 22

Feb 21, 2008, 12:45 AM
    I have never believed in god or jesus it is just some story made up years ago like cinderella

Feb 21, 2008, 12:52 AM
    Just watched a little bit its quite good will watch the rest later its true the beginning why does he need money? God I mean
    deeva28 Posts: 23, Reputation: 9

Feb 21, 2008, 02:04 AM
    First off let me say that although I am a firm believer in God, I do not knock the fact that you are a non-believer. I actually went through that phase when I was younger and then I realized that there is a God or some other type of higher being. God has worked in my life so many times and in so many different ways, that I know that it was not a mere coincidence or happenstance. I haven't viewed the movie link yet, but I will. I will state that although I know that God is real, I also don't believe everything that was written in the Bible. I realize that things change in translation as well as through people like the ever popular telephone game. That doesn't mean that there isn't a God to me, it just means that the Holy Book is tainted with the translations of other people. It all depends on a person's vantage point when they tell a story and that is how I view the Bible, but I KNOW that there is a GOD.

Feb 21, 2008, 02:58 AM
    I do believe there is more out there than us and I would never knock anyone else's beliefs each to there own.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Would you care to share with us here why you are an atheist, Greg. I am just curious. By the way, my first name is Craig. So, I do think that we have something in common there!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 07:05 AM
    I am normally shocked that people can't believe in God, the facts are too obvioius in their face he exists. I respect everyone right to not believe but do feel very sorry for their loss in their life. Even non Christian writings like the Quran even accept Jesus as being a real person,
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    ...do feel very sorry for thier loss in thier life.
    There is no loss in our lives. You may feel a loss if you didn't have a god to worship and rely on but that does not mean that others are like that at all. We don't go around saying that we feel bad for your wasted time worshipping something that doesn't exist. Don't worry about us, worry about yourself. :)

Feb 21, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Would you care to share with us here why you are an atheist, Greg. I am just curious. By the way, my first name is Craig. So, I do think that we have something in common there!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Craig. There are endless reasons, I have gone through flaws in the bible and other routine arguments a thousand times with family and it always comes down to debating against faith. I believe faith is believing in something as fact when it simply is not. After watching the first segment of Zeitgeist, I believe the missing pieces to the puzzle are finally visible.
    I was pushed from a very young age to believe in something as questionable as Religion is. I chose look beyond faith, that was difficult to do when there was no Internet. Religion is passed down from generation to generation with very little question from its followers. What a system to have, in fact it is very much like a virus. Its rules are to get them almost at birth, and then get their children at birth and so on. The fact is, I usually don't come on here going off on a subject as sensitive as religion. It usually leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths in the end and no one gets converted either way... But after watching this compelling movie, I wanted to share it with fellow atheists agnostics and also share it with people who are of faith. I'm not sure, but I have never been made aware of this view of where religion came from. And I must say it is not the most wonderful feeling learning that I have a whole new fantastic argument to support my beliefs. I would love there to be a god, a saviour but the evidence simply does not exist. The majority of the world believe there will be a day when Christ will come back and save us from ourselves I believe Christians call it "the second coming," in the mean time lets burn burn burn. I'm afraid my daughter one day will have a 02 mask on her face looking up at the sky waiting for a holy ghost.

Zeitgeist part 1 is the clearest, logical and easy to understand explanation to how something like an object (the sun) could be celebrated 3000 years BC and how translations have gone to where they are now. A ten year old boy could follow this 20 minute evidence full documentary, I'm still researching this to prove that it it may be false. So far my catholic school teacher girlfriend and I are convinced it is authentic.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2008, 11:34 AM
    You'll also like this movie: "The Power of Nightmares: The Rise of the Politics of Fear" (2004)
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Might I say that, umm, people have become brainwashed?
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicki143
    just watched a little bit its quite good will watch the rest later its true the beginning why does he need money? god i mean
    Why in the world would G-d need money, better yet how dose he get it?? The church has his mailing address and they send it to him so he can fund "Go to H-e-l-l projects" or "Wings for Angels projects"
    Really G-d dosen't personally use the money, how would he? The church does. So they can pay their preachers and preists and then give it to the poor. The point is to give money to people who need it so they can buy food, have homes, etc.

I watched the movie, and it has just as many flaws as does the Bible. I think you need to take in to account that it was written well over a thousand years ago, it has changed since it's been translated over and over again... books have even been left out. Just because all of it might not be true, I'm certain that there is some amount of truth. For even in lies there is truth.

Another thing. Some religons don't believe in Hell. They think that if G-d really loves you then he wouldn't sentence you to eternal pain and misery. (this was in part of the intro)

Believe whatever you want, I'm not here to stop you. But if your going to allow yourself to be brainwashed by a movie meant to encourage atheism then be warned. Try to make your own assumptions about weather there is a G-d or not, it's easier to truly believe something if you are the one who makes the asumptions about it... though I think you already have.
    anamia Posts: 25, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Hi. I'm a good Southern Catholic girl ;) - a contradiction in terms it seems. I think that whatever your beliefs may be, especially unpopular beliefs, it takes balls to share them.

Feb 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    Why in the world would G-d need money, better yet how dose he get it??? The church has his mailing address and they send it to him so he can fund "Go to H-e-l-l projects" or "Wings for Angels projects"
    Really G-d dosen't personally use the money, how would he? The church does. So they can pay their preachers and preists and then give it to the poor. The point is to give money to people who need it so they can buy food, have homes, ect.

I watched the movie, and it has just as many flaws as does the Bible. I think you need to take in to account that it was written well over a thousand years ago, it has changed since it's been translated over and over again...books have even been left out. Just because all of it might not be true, I'm certain that there is some amount of truth. For even in lies there is truth.

Another thing. Some religons don't beleive in Hell. They think that if G-d really loves you then he wouldn't sentance you to eternal pain and misery. (this was in part of the intro)

Beleive whatever you want, I'm not here to stop you. But if your going to allow yourself to be brainwashed by a movie ment to encourage atheism then be warned. Try to make your own assumptions about weather there is a G-d or not, it's easier to truly beleive something if you are the one who makes the asumptions about it...though I think you already have.
    ------------------------
    -----------------------
    I was hoping for a better response. I'm not really sure if you did watch the movie, or if you only watched the first 2 minutes. You seem a little angry, the movie does take into account when the bible was written. This documentary clearly shows the mistakes in the translation. In fact, that is what the movie is about. I'm not interested in fighting someone over this, I'm here for a discussion. If you feel you are too busy to watch the video, then move on. My question is directed at people who are willing to view it, and share their views. The joke at the beginning of the movie is the last thing I would have expected come up as conversation after having watched the first segment.
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Sorry I didn't specify... I watched part of the movie and I may have been doing something else while listening to it. That thing is an hour long!! :)
    My point was the movie could be biased just as much as the Bible.
    Not fighting, just warning that some things are biased. Kind of like you can't trust a politician to tell you the truth about the government because they'll give there version which really isn't the truth. Same with this, you can't be objective about making a movie or a book (Bible) about your own religon.
    Sorry if I came off as mad (it's been a horrible day :))

Feb 21, 2008, 06:30 PM
    BEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE disagrees: Why do you need evidence to believe in something? Do you demand your girlfreind or wife every night that you need evidence that she loves you? No, and that sounds just darn right silly. She would probably reply, 'You need to have faith that I love yo
    ___

OK... That would come down to "TRUST" not faith. If my girlfriend cheated on me and abused me and showed me so much (EVIDENCE) that she hated me, and then if she were to say "you need to have faith that I love you." that would be ridiculous, she earns my trust everyday based on how I treat her and how she treats me. What a silly uneducated reason to go tossing around your reds. If your liberal views of not needing evidence to believe in something was as broad as the ridiculousness as that statement... there would be a lot more innocence in prison, frankly the entire world would fall apart.
    It seems you simply did not like my question and wanted to express it by blindly throwing stones. If people didn't ask questions we would still think the earth was flat. Get on topic or move to the next thread and quit picking at straws in mine.
    Expert

Feb 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn

OK... That would come down to "TRUST" not faith. If my girlfriend cheated on me and abused me and showed me so much (EVIDENCE) that she hated me, and then if she were to say "you need to have faith that I love you." that would be ridiculous, she earns my trust everyday based on how I treat her and how she treats me. What a silly uneducated reason to go tossing around your reds. If your liberal views of not needing evidence to believe in something was as broad as the ridiculousness of that statement... there would be a lot more innocence in prison, frankly the entire world would fall apart.
    It seems you simply did not like my question and wanted to express it by blindly throwing stones. If people didn't ask questions we would still think the earth was flat. Get on topic or move to the next thread and quit picking at straws in mine.
    I think they did answer your question though. The point was to get an opinion about if we could see a different truth and well they answered with the truth they saw. Maybe not what you personally wanted to hear, but all the same an answer.

Personally I think trust and faith are one in the same, with faith you trust that there is a
    G-d with just trust you trust that your girlfriend is being loyal or that she loves you.

This whole thing basically comes down to one of the biggest questions man kind has ever asked, is there a G-d? And answers are bound to be different.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Haven't watched the clip yet, but I will. I just really wanted to comment on this:

Gernald agrees: Balancer: He's talking about religons brainwashing us. They probably are but that's not the point is it? Atheism is a type of religon (like it or not) and it to has the ability to brainwash.
    I know this is a bit off topic, but please read this article:

Atheism Myths: Is Atheism a Religion?

/threadjack over

Feb 22, 2008, 06:57 AM
    I have seem the first part of zeitgeist and it was very intresting and I am a not beliver in god.
    One thing for sure is when the end of the world happens some people are goona be disapointent christians believe in god jesus jehovahs believe in him muslims believe in Allah and so on but which one of these people is going to be there if any
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2008, 06:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quinn

OK... That would come down to "TRUST" not faith. If my girlfriend cheated on me and abused me and showed me so much (EVIDENCE) that she hated me, and then if she were to say "you need to have faith that I love you." that would be ridiculous, she earns my trust everyday based on how I treat her and how she treats me. What a silly uneducated reason to go tossing around your reds. If your liberal views of not needing evidence to believe in something was as broad as the ridiculousness of that statement... there would be a lot more innocence in prison, frankly the entire world would fall apart.
    Hello Greg,

I, myself, watched the entire clip (yes all 2 hours of it!) and might I say that although there were some good 'pointers' in it, people endlessly try to find excuses not to have faith. Why? Because something that is not 'physically' there is unreal. Because you posted this thread, expect to hear the worst. Don't assume that you are going to read what you want to. You asked for opinions; you asked for a discussion and now you are going to get one.

I apologize if I offended your beliefs and do not want to 'argue' over this matter. In my opinion, faith and trust walk in the same shoes. I can understand why it is difficult for most people not to believe something that isn't even there. At one time I did question my beliefs as well, but then decided that if I didn't trust the lord, then I didn't trust myself.

Do you believe in the afterlife? Resserection? Armegadon? Revelations? Ghosts? Entities? Spirits? Souls? I would love to hear your opinion on those!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did Jesus Ever Say He was God? [ 252 Answers ]

:confused: Is Jesus Christ God? Investigate these interesting claims... The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said...

Are Jesus and God the same? [ 43 Answers ]

I have learned that Jesus is God's son but I have also seen where people talk about God and Jesus as if they were the same person. Does it depend on the religion?

Did Jesus say I'm God [ 47 Answers ]

Did Jesus say to himself I'm God

Jesus and God [ 12 Answers ]

1 John 2:1 MY little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: An advocate is someone who pleads another's case before a judge, in this case God. I remembered this verse two days ago and...

View more questions Search