Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tilo126 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2004, 07:03 AM
    Reboot PC
    Hi, I have p4. It is working slow last few days. I ask some expert he said it might have virus problem and he advice me to reboot system. I don't know how to reboot and what to do after that.
    Anyone please help me that
    Thank you in advance
    PCgamer Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2004, 10:25 AM
    Reboot PC
    A reboot simply means to restart your computer.

A virus or a worm can certainly slow down your PC, and even your internet connection. I recommend downloading AVG virus scanner, (a free virus scanner). Also download Ad-Aware (a program that detects and cleans adware and spyware that you may have picked up while surfing or downloading files. Both of these are freeware programs and can be downloaded at the following websites:

AVG antivirus: http://www.grisoft.com/
    Ad aware: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Hope this helps.
    alicka Posts: 110, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2004, 11:40 PM
    Re: reboot PC
    If your running your PC without virus protection and spybot protection, you would already be infected.
    Trend micro systems offer a free virus scan of your PC.
    visit, http://www.trendmicro.com

Also get SpyBot Search & Destroy, this will pick up most bots and remove them from your PC.

Also run Scan Disk, Disk Cleanup and then Defrag your hard drive. These are all in your system tools. You should run disk cleanup & Defrag regularly to maximise your PC's efficiency.

Hope this solves your prob.

mazharkhan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 06:31 AM
    Having difficulties with my PC
    I opened the box of my new PC yesterday. I turned it on and it was working fine. Whole night it was on. In the morning, I found no windows appeared. I moved the mouse but nothing happened. I shut down improperly and tried to turn on. I experienced it alarms thrice and no windows appear at all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2005, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mazharkhan
    I opened the box of my new PC yesterday. I turned it on and it was working fine. Whole night it was on. In the morning, I found no windows appeared. I moved the mouse but nothing happened. I shut down improperly and tried to turn on. I experienced it alarms thrice and no windows appear at all.

Sounds like you had a power issue. You could have fried the Mobo or something. Did you have it on a surgestrip or UPS? Can you try a different monitor to see if that's the problem? You may need to have it checked by a tech. I hope your warranty covers power surges.

By the way, it would be better to have started a new thread then piggy back on a year old one.
    mazharkhan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2005, 06:28 PM

Yes it was on surgeprotector.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2005, 05:38 AM
    Reboot PC
    Hi,
    It is always a very good idea to have some Spyware/Advertising programs installed. If you wish to use them, here are some good ones, with step by step on how to run them:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3
    (If you use the Spyware Blaster free program, then don't set SpyBot to the Immunization feature)

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE V 1.06

CWShredder at:
    http://www.intermute.com/products/cwshredder.html
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run. Download the free version by clicking on "Download stand alone version of CW Shredder".

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    Spyware Blaster 3.3
    This program stops this stuff from getting into the computer in the first place, by placing URL's in the browser, stopping them instantly.
    You do not have to do scans with SpyWare Blaster, just update it every week with new "definitions".

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

Best wishes,
    fredg

Jun 23, 2005, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    It is always a very good idea to have some Spyware/Advertising programs installed. If you wish to use them, here are some good ones,
    What does this have to do with the question, Fred? Its bad enough that you echo answers, but now you just post random answers that have nothing to do with the question.

Jun 23, 2005, 08:55 AM
    Yes it was on surgeprotector.
    I still suspect a power issue if you can't get it to boot to windows. You might try booting to Safe mode.
    jocase Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2005, 12:33 PM
    New Computer
    Before you do anything, call the seller and tell them the symptoms. If it is brand new from a reputable dealer they will take it back. At the very least, they will fix it. Don't tell them what you think may be wrong, just give them the symptoms.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC Reboot Randomly by itself [ 7 Answers ]

Hello Guys, I have a problenm with my machine. I have Asus MotherBoard with P4 1.7 CPU, 1 G DDR Ram , 64 MB All in WOnder ATI Radeon 8500 DV, Audigy Sound blaster Platinum , D Link Fax Modem , USB Hub , DLink Network Card. My Problem is that while working on Windows XP or 2000 Pro , the system will...

Reboot PC [ 3 Answers ]

::) I just got Hp Brio ba PC. When I first pluged it in it booted up. When I shut down can't boot up. Twice I got it to boot up by unpluging it and pluging in again, pretty iffy. Any ideas for a fix? Thanks Jim. I didn't tell that I had pressed switch on front panel, Also checked switch &...

Reboot [ 1 Answers ]

My computer starts booting into Windows 2000 but won't go past the initial screen. I replaced the power supply and tried reinstalling the OS but it still won't boot into the OS. I have tried replacing the hard drive also and nothing doing. What should I do?

The system reboot automatically [ 1 Answers ]

The system reboot automatically when it runs in the window envirnoment, it has no problem when it runs in DOS mode. Therefore, I formatted the drive, and try to install win 2000 all over again on the system, the system has no problem when it runs in DOS mode, but when the system runs the welcome...

XP reboot [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have this problem for over 2 weeks now. I own a pentium4 1.5mhz 512mb of ram and a 40gig hard drive with WinXP Home Ed. The probem is that it reboots by itself anytime it feels like it, an average of twice on 4hrs of usage. Sometimes it comes back to my desktop and sometimes it will give...

View more questions Search