Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CPiehl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Requirements for Elementary school?
    I am unsure of if I should put my son through preschool before entering kindergarten next year. He is very well socialized so that is not a problem. What is or at least should be required for him to know before starting kindergarten?? :confused:
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Nov 29, 2007, 07:13 AM
    I think it depends on your school. Is it all day kindergarten? How old is your son?
    Preschool not only teaches social aspects of school but it helps them learn structure and what is required of them in a classroom.
    beefstew88 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
    Pre school can really good for teaching school procedures and to prepare your child to enter kindergarten.

It really helps if your child knows how to say, not sing, the letters of the alphabet. Make sure lmnop does not come out as 1 letter. Many kids do not realize that m and n are different because the song "blends" than together. Knowledge of some sounds and some rhyming words is a plus as well.

Your child should be able to count to 10 or 20. It also helps if he can count object to at least 10.

Knowing their full name, address, birthday, parent's names, and phone number is good also. Be sure when teaching their name they can distingush 1st, middle, and last.

Hope this helps.
    xavier johnson1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CPiehl
    I am unsure of if I should put my son throught preschool before entering kindergarden next year. He is very well socialized so that is not a problem. What is or at least should be required for him to know before starting kindergarden???:confused:
    Help kids do beter in school
    Luv2Dance Posts: 56, Reputation: 7

Aug 4, 2008, 10:16 AM
    Hi... I'm a Kindergarten teacher... I think Pre-K is a great foundation for K... but it's really your choice on if you want your son enrolled or not. I don't know where you live, so expectations may be different, but this is what I look for entering Kindergarten:
    That a child:
    *can independently pack and unpack schoolbag
    *zipper pants/ jack
    *share/take turns
    *talk one at a time
    *sit on carpet pretzel style quietly (this would be learned in pre-school) for lessons or stories
    *Count 0-15
    *Write first name and read name
    * Say alphabet
    * Recognize letters
    * Recognize numbers 0-10
    * Recognize circle, square, diamond, rectangle, oval
    * can recognize rhyming words if given to him (cat and hat)
    *Can trace over dotted lines
    *Can draw a face
    *Understands words such as over, under, inside, outside, next to, etc
    * Knows primary colors

Hope this was helpful. Good luck to you and your little cutie!! :)
    Hahlife Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2010, 08:14 PM

Well I think you shouldn't because preschool is basically for socializing and if your son is very much socialized then there's no need to waste money.. And well if you have other children or anyone in the house not really busy then just daily teach him his alphabet and basic stuff that's easy to learn like shapes and like do something like a scavenger hunt
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 05:33 PM

Pre-School is a great way to introduce your child to a whole new world. I have found the children who attend pre-school are better prepared for Kindergarten. He will LOVE it.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 06:37 AM

Uh... people, do you realise that this question was posted 3 years ago now? :rolleyes:
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2010, 08:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Uh... people, do you realise that this question was posted 3 years ago now? :rolleyes:
    Excuse me... we're not all Einsteins.:rolleyes: AND the question was answered on August the 1. I answer what comes up on my alerts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to claim tution fees for elementary school kid. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending my 4th grade son to sylvan tutoring classes as he needs some help with language arts, when I enrolled him they said I can claim this in taxes and gave their tax id too, ( I didn't request). But when I was filing my taxes online - I see the options only for college going kids. Can...

Elementary Education [ 3 Answers ]

Call anyone tell me all they know about Elementary Education? Please it is for a project thank you. :)

Elementary School Convocations [ 1 Answers ]

I am responsible for scheduling convocations for our 3rd through 5th grade Elementary School. Does anybody know of any programs or convocations that they would recommend? I specifically am looking for convos that pertain to physical education, art or music. Has anybody seen any neat programs that...

Elementary Algebra [ 1 Answers ]

If the length of a rectangle is doubled does the area double? Why?

My elementary school sweetheart [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, So my elementary school sweetheart pops back into my life about every 5 years. When we were kids we had a crush on each other but we did the usual kid things, he picked on me and I was mean in return. Both of our mothers are close friends so over the years of us not seeing each other and dating...

View more questions Search