Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hinjon Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2009, 02:57 PM
    Garage Opener recognizes remote, but door won't open
    I have a Craftsman garage door opener in the house I just bought. The wireless remote worked for about 2 days and is no longer working. I have replaced the battery, but no luck. The remote part number is 13953681B, if that helps.

I got up and looked at the main box on the ceiling and when I hit the remote, the receive light blinks, but the door doesn't open. I tried syncing the signal again by following the directions on it, but that didn't work. I also cleared all codes and then synced it, but still it won't open. I am not sure what to do.

The attena is sticking out and seems fine. Nothing has changed since it last worked expect for the fact that it won't open.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 3, 2009, 03:01 PM

Has anyone press the lock button by any chance?

Sep 3, 2009, 03:19 PM
    I didn't, but my wife just informed me she "may have bumped it." Should we assume she did? THen what?

Sep 3, 2009, 05:02 PM

Unlock it by pressing again. If it is locked there should be a little light that indicates that it is locked. It is a electronic lock that prevents remotes from working.

Sep 3, 2009, 09:12 PM

The light on the panel was blinking. When I push the lock button, it stops blinking, so I'm guessing it was locked. However, the remote still doesn't work.

Do you think I need to sync it after hitting the lock button?

Sep 3, 2009, 09:38 PM

Yes, do you need instructions.
    Attached Images

Sep 5, 2009, 02:06 PM

Still nothing. Same as before, the light blinks on the receiver when I push the button on the remote, but it doesn't react.

Sep 5, 2009, 03:10 PM

By remote are you talking about the remote mounted outside and has the soft buttons on the key pad?

Sep 5, 2009, 03:33 PM

No, sorry, I thought you knew I was talking about the wireless remote (one you would keep in a car).

Sep 5, 2009, 07:24 PM

That's OK. The reason I ask is the soft buttons on the wall mounted remotes can be very frustrating. You have to press the buttons very hard at times to make them work, especially the enter button.
    Have you tried to reset the code using the Learn button as instructed above.

Sep 5, 2009, 07:29 PM

Yes, that's what I've been doing. I haven't had any issues with the soft buttons or the keypad, just the wireless remote.

Sep 5, 2009, 08:38 PM

All indications are that the door is still electronically locked. If the opener did not recognize the code I don't think the light would blink. The electronic lock only prevents portable keys from working. The wall pad and the remote mounted on the outside will still work even if the lock button has been pressed. That is the situation you have isn't it?

By light blinking you do mean the light on the opener don't you?

Sep 6, 2009, 05:27 AM

The wireless remote does not have a light... when I push the button, the tiny light next to the "learn" button blinks. The light on the wall pad (not the outside one with soft buttons) currenlty is not blinking,it's solid, but when I push the lock button it blinks. WHen I hold the lock button for a short while it stops blinking. I have tried to sync the remote with the learn button under both conditions.
    Fix-er-rite Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 10:51 PM

You had mentioned that the lights on the receiver were flashing. Do you mean the lights on the powerhead? If so, the opener might be in the up position and may sense there is something in the way. Ensure there is nothing blocking these sensors from seeing each other. These machines will flash about a dozen times when there is something in the way or if they are not aligned properly. Check your photo eyes. There is a small led on each. For normal operation they should both be on. If it is relatively new machine there will be one amber light (sender) and one green light (receiver) If they are misaligned the green one will go out.
    Hope this helps
    Brad
    Fix-er-rite Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2009, 10:55 PM

Sorry one other thing... If you press the remote and that tiny light flashes next to the learn button it is receiving the signal. Just push the learn button to accept the code and it should work.
    Brad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost Garage Door Remote Opener [ 4 Answers ]

I lost my garage door remote opener. Unfortunately, this is a detached garage, i.e. garage by itself with no door or windows to get in beside the garage door itself. I can buy a new garage door opener but without being able to open the garage, how can I reprogram this new opener to open my...

Remote garage door opener (reprogram) [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Can't find owners manual to Craftsman 1/2 remote garage door opener. I believe I accidentally erased codes from garage ceiling unit. There is a learn button, I know how to change the code on the outside keypad, but how do I reprogram the unit on the ceiling of the garage to accept the new...

Noisy garage door opener, it will not open [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, we are experiencing unusually cold weather, the garage door opener started making a really loud noise, and the opener will not open the door. Please help if you can.

Remote control for garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

I have an "Overhead Door, Model 656 Garage Door Opener" and I ran over the only remote I have. I bought a universal opener that turns out not to be so universal. I want to try resetting the dip switches, but I can't find them. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Remote garage door opener [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a home with a Craftsman remote garage door opener that is outside the garage. Model # 139.53876 with push bottons 1-0 (no # and no *). I know the old four code number but need to know how to change the code with a new code number.

View more questions Search