Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Arriaga_04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Child support/giving up my rights
    I have 2 kids with my ex. I have been paying $400.00 for child support monthly, but I don't have contact with the kids.I was wondering if there is any way I can sign over my rights. I tried talking her into it , but she won't because she wants the child support money. I have moved on with my life. My wife and I have two kids together and are happy.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Arriaga_04
    I have 2 kids with my ex. i have been paying $400.00 for child support monthly, but i don't have contact with the kids.i was wondering if there is any way i can sign over my rights. i tried talking her into it , but she won't because she wants the child support money. I have moved on with my life. My wife and i have two kids together and are happy.

So you are remarried, have 2 kids, are happy, you don't have any contact with the first 2 children, want to cut all ties with your first 2 children and no longer pay any part of their support - and you don't know how to accomplish this because your first wife won't allow you to relinquish your rights.

Is that the question?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Signing away your rights does N0T get you out of paying child support. It only takes away any say/rights you have in their lives.
    Ladyviper Posts: 221, Reputation: 36

Nov 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
    It sounds as though your ex just wants the CS money, but it sounds like you just don't want to pay it anymore. You can sign off your parental rights, but that has to be a decision she agrees with.

This is a link that will give you some more information on waiving your parental rights, I hope it helps.
    WikiAnswers - If you sign over your parental rights to a child do ...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Basically the only way you can get out of paying child support if she remarries and the new husband adopts them.
    Some states may differ I think Minnesota is one.

Signing Off From Parental Rights
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 20, 2007, 05:34 PM
    If the mother is not in agreement, you aren't going to get anywhere.

The only way you can voluntarily sign away your rights is if the mother agrees and has someone to adopt the child in your place.
    Questionshelp Posts: 153, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 22, 2007, 10:41 AM
    What matters in the case is that if you love your two kids with you ex then it would be in the 2 kids best interest for you to keep paying for child support. The children will respect you latter on in life. Kids always need there parents.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 23, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Questionshelp
    What matters in the case is that if you love your two kids with you ex then it would be in the 2 kids best interest for you to keep paying for child support.
    Hello again, Questions:

What is in the best interest of the kids is that they EAT. It doesn't matter whether he loves them, nor does it matter if they respect him.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 23, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Hello dead beat dad, sorry why are you not seeing your own child,

Well the bad news is that giving up your rights, unless a new partner will adopt, has nothing to do with child support at all. You can give up your rights, if you can, but your obligation to pay child support does not stop.

So even if you could give up your rights, ( that is rights, to visit, to have a say in the child's life)
    So write the check and try to justify why you will not stand up and be a father and visit your children

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support / giving up rights? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old, I have a 5 year old daughter, she is raised very well, by myself and my parents. I filed for child support when she was born and never received anything. Now I just want to end everything I started. I don't care about money and I certainly don't need it. I have come a very long...

Giving Up Rights and Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex-girlfriend is pregnant and she's saying that its his. He believes that it is his. He wants to give up his rights but does not know what the law is in North Dakota. Would he still have to pay child support. We have both heard that he would but have not had any valid sources. I also...

About child support and giving up parental rights in Florida [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all! I am in need of serious help and have no where else to turn at this point. When I was 6months pregnant. My son's father sat on my stomach in attempt to hurt the child. He does not want anything to do with the child really, his mother is behind all of it. In Florida the grandparent's...

Giving up rights to a child [ 3 Answers ]

:D when a father gives up his rights, does he still have to pay child support? Is that the law in Illinois?

Child Support - Giving up Parental Rights [ 2 Answers ]

If the biological farther signs his rights away to avoid paying child support - does he has to go to court for this and will this be legal and will he no longer have to pay child support?

View more questions Search