Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    careann25 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2010, 10:29 AM
    No custody order and out of state jurisdiction
    Ok I lived in Oklahoma from the time my daughter was born until this past October when I moved to flee a very emotional abusive situation. My husband helped me pack my things into a friends van and move. He was currently in a online relationship with someone so he didn't care that we left. My daughter is now three years old. He has made little effort until this past week to talk to her, hasn't sent any type of support not a birthday or christmas present or card or anything. Now because I refuse to come back he is trying to take custody of her. My problem is Oklahoma has jurisdiction over her but it is not safe for me to go back there to file paperwork on him. Is their anyway that I can get Virginia to take jurisdiction over her for safety reasons. I have always been her main care giver. He couldn't even keep her for two days while I had a hysteroctomy back in March, I have papers from Dr's stating how abusive he is. Please if you can give me any advice I'd greatly appreciate it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2010, 10:40 AM

You made a big mistake by just moving out without filing for divorce. At this point, OK does have jurisdiction and I'm not sure you can get it changed without the father's consent.

You will need to retain an attorney to represent you in OK and either try for a change of jurisdiction or allow you to appear by phone. Use your documentation of his abuse as support for this.

Jan 2, 2010, 11:36 AM

Yes I know leaving Oklahoma without filing was a huge mistake but in the situation I had to leave to be safe for not only myself but my daughter. I'm wondering if my mom can represent me through power of attorney as well as appearing by phone.

Jan 2, 2010, 11:59 AM

You can certainly give your mom limited power of attorney to act for you in this matter. But I would still recommend her hiring an attorney.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 03:09 PM

You can hire an attorney over the phone to do the legal work, but when there are court dates, you will be required to appear in court and the child may well be required to be in court. With a power of attorney she can do some leg work for you, but in court the other side has the right to question you, the judge will have to be able to ask you questions, so you will have to return there for court.

Also sorry "not safe" why, don't go see anyone who is harmful, can't you perhaps stay with mom if needed when in court

Jan 2, 2010, 04:14 PM

I don't plan on going to see anyone who is not safe. Problem is that I can not afford to make it back to Oklahoma to file things on him. I am researching and saying a lot of prayers that this all works out in the best interest of her. I'd love nothing more then for her to know a loving caring father but he is not. He is using her as a pawn to get to and hurt me. He's never been a care giver for her and she barely even knows him even though I lived with him for almost all of her first three years of life.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 04:21 PM

Has he filed papers already for custody and/or divorce ? Its not clear if something has been filed or if he is threatening to file.

Jan 2, 2010, 05:09 PM

He is threatening to file he has not filed anything as of yet...
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 2, 2010, 05:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by careann25 View Post
    He is threatening to file he has not filed anything as of yet....
    That changes everything. Your against the time clock and if you become a resident of the state your currently in and nothing still has been filed you can file there. You may be able to now but its slim even with the safety issue because you have been away for months and right now he is no danger to you so long as your apart.

Jan 2, 2010, 05:20 PM

Check with VA about how long you have to establish residence. Generally its 6 months. Jurisdiction will remain in OK until you have established residency. If he files before then, jurisdiction will remain in OK. So the minute you qualify as a VA resident you need to file, if he hasn't.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which State has Jurisdiction? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation: Exhusband we will refer to as "EH" and minor child "K" EH is active duty military member stationed in California, but is a RESIDENT of Missouri, his home state. I left him in January 2002 and moved to Mississippi with "K" who at the time was 4 years of age in order to...

We are married and no custody order,can I move with the kids out of state? [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I have been legaly separated for almost 3 years and have agreed to do rotating custody which he broke last year for 3 months when he left the state but now he's back and I want to move out of Florida to be near my family for help and a job. Am I allowed? We have no divorce decree or...

Child Custody Jurisdiction [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know what state has jurisdiction over child custody modification case? The state that parent filing for modification lives where divorce was ordered in 2004, or the state that other parent and children have lived for almost 3 years.

Leaving State with Child without Custody Order [ 3 Answers ]

My question is complicated. My child's father and I separated. The child stays with her Dad during the week because her father caused me to be in such financial turmoil that I have to work 2 jobs to pay the bills for the house and I can't afford daycare. I have my daughter on the wekeends and...

Moving with my child out of state with no custody order. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I I could take my daughter to Washington considering me and her father have no custody order or visitation.. Is there anything he can do in stopping me if I just bring her with me?

View more questions Search