Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fuzzbutt28 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 10:19 AM
    Failed toilet vent inspection( Help!)
    We have a newly constructed building(bathhouse) added to or home septic system.It has a shower stall,toilet ,sink,kitchen sink and hot water heater added on.Every thing passed inspection except the toilet(even the waste line to the septic passed).The inspector said its NOT holding pressure.It might be the vent or the toilet ,pull up the toilet an see if its leaking.He also said maybe the vent was punctured by a nail during drywall installation.What do you think we should do? Pull the toilet up? We are both very new to this and need some info on what to do and how to do it.Please help.We can not use a plumber because we had the permit whiched into our name already.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 15, 2006, 05:43 AM
    You can still use a plumber. No problem except you will have to pay them the going rate. The permit is of no count in this issue.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 15, 2006, 06:46 AM
    When we test a unit and call for inspection we block off the sewer at the clean out, block off every drain opening and fill the stacks from the roof until they overflow. We then let it set overnight before calling in a inspection. If the stacks are still full and no water in sight then we've passed.
    Since you have failed to inform us as to how the vent's configured or if it can be inspected for leaks or even how it was inspected in the first place,( was the vent filled with water?) we can't begin to offer suggestions. How did the inspector suggest that you go about repairing the situation? Get back to us with details we can work with and we'll answer ASAP. Tom

Apr 16, 2006, 08:04 PM
    The inspector had us block the clean out with a plumbing ball,and the vent on the roof we capped,he then filled each drain with water(toilet ,shower,sink.ect)he stuck a long piece of clear tubing in the toilet filled it part way with water,held his thumb over it and then watched for any movement in the water and then listened for air.It made a gurgling sound and air bubbles came up,the water didn't stay in the tube.He said that we should pull up the toilet because it was not holding air.check to see if it is leaking underneath,or their may be a hole in the waste vent somewhere.He said we should check the toilet first. This building has passed the first two inspections and the waste line smoke test. The only thing I can think of ,is the flange.We used a pressure flange(not glued)(not sure if that's really what its called)I have just went out and got a standard PVC flange and was going to pull up the toilet and change it.I was hopeing we may have over looked something so I don't have to pull it up.My husband was thinking the plumbing ball wasn't properly aired up(sealed ) or the pressure flange is failing.I do most of the fixing things ,he works a rotating shift. I was going to retest it myself. Put the ball in the clean out and run the shower to see if any water is coming past the ball.Then go do the air tube test thing.I think their was air in the lines.What should I do first ? Or how else can I test it ? Thanks ,Bernadette
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 17, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Good morning Bernadette,
    First off, a toilet flange only duty is to secure the bowl the floor. It's the wax seal that prevents water from leaking out, but I would like to know more information on the brand of flange you used and why you didn't use a regular glue in flange. If the inflatable plug were leaking air or water then that could be the cause of the problem. Try the test again and let me know how it comes out. Good luck, Tom

Apr 18, 2006, 05:41 AM
    We seen a new type of flange and the salesperson at Lowe's said it was good because it sucksions in and there is no glueing needed(he said that is what he would use)(I won't listen to anyone but a professional anymore).However I think that is the problem.I did the test again. I blocked the vent,clean out and filled all the sink traps,then ran the shower.The toilet started bubbling up air.I would have to assume it is the toilet seal.I plan to remove then toilet and put a new wax ring and standard flange(clued).Any suggestions or comments? Thanks again ,Bernadette
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbutt28
    We seen a new type of flange and the salesperson at Lowes said it was good because it sucksions in and their is no glueing needed(he said that is what he would use)(I wont listen to anyone but a professional anymore).However I think that is the problem.I did the test again. I blocked the vent,clean out and filled all the sink traps,then ran the shower.The toilet started bubbling up air.I would have to assume it is the toilet seal.I plan to remove then toilet and put a new wax ring and standard flange(clued).Any suggestions or comments? Thanks again ,Bernadette
    The reason big box plumbing sales men aren't out in the field as plumbers is because they aren't.
    Let me know how the test comes out after you've swapped out the flange. If you can give me a brand name of the that Lowe's sold you I would like to check it out. Good luck, Tom
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 18, 2006, 06:31 AM
    He is probably talking about the new style replacements for the wax ring. They are PVC and have "O" rings at the part that sets into the PVC pipe in the floor and a Vinyl/edpm rubber flap thet fits to the toilet base. Some actually have glue like substance that hold it to the base of the toilet for instillation purposes.Tried a sample 3 years ago and it would not pass tests so I never used one again.

Apr 19, 2006, 07:16 AM
    No,It's not the wax ring he was talking about. He stood their and showed me this flange.I should have just went with my first instinct to get the standard flange.I hate it when they sound like they know what they are talking about but DON'T.

Apr 24, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Ok,I replaced the flange(glued) and put on a new wax ring,and installed the toilet.I pluged the clean out ,the vent is capped and I began to run the water in the shower . Air bubbled up out of the toilet for about a minute but then stopped(it stopped once the water drain was filled in the shower). I stuck a clear tube in the toilet and put water in the tube then heald my finger over it.The water did NOT move(I waited about a min).(I assume that is what it is supposed to do,so it will past the inspection?)I am now wondering if we(the inspector) did not run the water long enough the first test.The air in that pipe has to escape some how,the toilet I would think is the easiest way to come out.I sthis correct? How else can I test it? Is that all I need to do? There is NO leaking anywhere.

Apr 24, 2006, 10:55 AM
    Ok,I replaced the flange(glued) and put on a new wax ring,and installed the toilet.I pluged the clean out ,the vent is capped and I began to run the water in the shower . Air bubbled up out of the toilet for about a minute but then stopped(it stopped once the water drain was filled in the shower). I stuck a clear tube in the toilet and put water in the tube then heald my finger over it.The water did NOT move(I waited about a min).(I assume that is what it is supposed to do,so it will past the inspection?)I am now wondering if we(the inspector) did not run the water long enough the first test.The air in that pipe has to escape some how,the toilet I would think is the easiest way to come out.I sthis correct? How else can I test it? Is that all I need to do? There is NO leaking anywhere.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2006, 02:43 PM
    I would call the inspector back and get the inspection passed. Sounds like changing the flange did it. Congratulations! Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my cellar toilet vent OK? [ 1 Answers ]

A toilet in the basement drains to the floor with no vent in sight. There is a vertical "wet" vent about 15 feet away that drains (among other things) a third floor washing machine. It also vents out the attic roof. When the washer drains, there is gurgling and swirling in the cellar toilet...

Toilet Vent Location [ 1 Answers ]

How close to the toilet should the vent line be? I’m in the process of moving a toilet and am not sure if I need to extend the vent too. Currently, the vent line is about 6 inches from the toilet, and after I move the toilet it would be 2 feet. Thanks Scott

Toilet Vent [ 5 Answers ]

I am putting in a septic system at my cabin, there is a toilet in the bathroom that will need to be tied to this new septic system. The toilet has a 4" pipe that runs through the crawl space, under the footings and is stubbed outside the cabin. This pipe is a straight pipe with total of about 13'...

Max distance of vent to toilet [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding two toilets (1.5 baths) to the ground fllor of my house (which is a concrete slab. The house is in NJ. What is the maximum distance the toilets (WC's?) can be from the vent line (I'm using 3" drains and 2" vents). Thanks Mike

Pecans in my toilet vent [ 4 Answers ]

The vent on the roof for our toilets were never covered and we are having problems with pecans down inside of the vents. My husband has been trying to snake them out but they will not break down. What would be the best solution for this problem? :eek:

View more questions Search