Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xxgawjuzuxx Posts: 78, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2009, 12:17 AM
    DOG WHISTLE/ silent whistle / galtons whistle?
    Hey I was wondering if anyone knew whether these whistles are good & work properly, I want to teach my dog a few more things & also when I take him off leash he listens to me (mostly) but responds better to high pitch whistles etc. ( I can't whistle lol ) I was wondering if this would be good for that also? Thanks (:
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 04:04 AM
    Are you planning on carrying the whistle his/her entire life? If you depend on a tool you better always have one. If the pup "mostly" responds to voice, why don't you keep working with voice training instead. You might consider hand gestures for close in work, as well.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 04:29 AM
    Never used clickers except to reinforce hand signals. For distance, voice works best until you get to radio range, then you need the military.

BTW, Shazzy, wasn't bestter a bad guy on Babylon 5?

Jun 6, 2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks, I don't know how to get his attention sometimes though, its like his sick of hearing my voice half of the time lol. I try saying his name in a higher pitch or treats (liver treats that he loves). He stays with me sometimes right next to me & sometimes 4-5 metres away..
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsmine View Post
    Never used clickers except to reinforce hand signals. For distance, voice works best until you get to radio range, then you need the military.

BTW, Shazzy, wasn't bestter a bad guy on Babylon 5?
    Haha whoops! Darn typos... I spelt whistles wrong too :o
    Guess that'll teach me not to proof read!
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 11:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by xxgawjuzuxx View Post
    thanks, i dont know how to get his attention sometimes though, its like his sick of hearing my voice half of the time lol. i try saying his name in a higher pitch or treats (liver treats that he loves). he stays with me sometimes right next to me & sometimes 4-5 metres away..
    You didn't mention his breed. Some dogs, especially the more intelligent ones, get bored with training routines and need a variety of regimens to keep them engaged. I do Dobermans (look left, can you tell) and they need a bit of training then a bit of play then a little more training. Heel is the best to start with, I've always felt.

Jun 6, 2009, 06:05 PM

his a border collie x husky, I've noticed he gets bored of things easily. When I'm teaching him I reward him by throwing his ball (his favourite thing to do) & treats. Ill keep trying thank you :)
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 06:22 PM
    You might try frisbees and Kongs, as your pup is an extremely intelligent and easily bored mix of breeds. You ARE going to have a very interesting time, and a lot of fun.

Jun 6, 2009, 07:26 PM

Yeah he loves his kong he has I think they're great (: thanks for your help.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 6, 2009, 08:26 PM

I find that the best time to train is after a vigorous walk or run. Wear out the dog, then train.

I too have a border collie mix, they're very intelligent dogs, need a lot of stimulus otherwise they're easily bored.

We play a game with our border collie. Remember, they're bred to work, and a dog that's instinct is to work, needs to work, otherwise bad things can happen.

Give your dog a job. It can be as simple as carrying a backpack on a walk. Playing hide and go seek in the yard (you hide, he seeks). Anything that will keep him mentally challenged and happy.

They're not easy to train, they're stubborn as all get out, but, once trained, they're very obedient, very intelligent, and make very good family members.

Good luck with your pup. :)

Jun 7, 2009, 03:16 AM

(: that sounds like my dog lol, his sneakily climbed up on the chair nxt to me & has his head on my lap lol, he likes playing hide & seek at the beach, he always finds me :) thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why is it bad luck to whistle in a kitchen? [ 11 Answers ]

My chef(teacher) asked me this today and I ave no idea why it's bad luck? Any ideas?:confused:

How to whistle [ 3 Answers ]

How on earth do you whistle with your fingers in your mouth??

Wanting to whistle [ 2 Answers ]

Can any 1 give me some tips to learn how to whistle with my fingers I want to learn very badly

View more questions Search