Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etribole Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2012, 01:35 PM
    Leaky Shower Upstairs-- Shower Pan or Tile-Grout?
    My upstairs shower is leaking through the ceiling. It only leaks when I take a shower. The shower has tiled walls, tiled bench, and fiber glass bottom. My house is 13-years old. Here's what I have done so far to isolate the source of the leak.
    1. I had a plumber come out who determined that the source of the leak is NOT the plumbing. He performed the following tests:
    a) Cut two squares through ceiling to evaluate the leak. He observed that there was no water barrier between the fiberglass bottom and the plywood. And the plywood was rotted, which he removed. He also observed that there was a small hole in the floor, outside of the shower, (exterior), not inside the shower. This is where the water is dripping out.
    b) He put paper towels outside of the shower door, ran the shower. No water on the floor, paper was dry. (Therefore shower door not the source of the leak.
    c) He removed shower head, and capped it. Turned on the shower for several minutes. No leak.
    d) He used a different source of water through a garden house, and ran it into the shower for several minutes. No leak.
    e) For good measure, he applied plumber's putty to shower head, drain, and around the shower knob fixture, which turns on/off water.
    Shower still leaking.

2. I had a shower guy come out. He found two possible sources of the leak. He removed the shower door frame, re-caulked all the metal surrounding the glass of the shower. He also caulked the periphery of the shower pan.
    Shower still leaking.

3. Next, I fill I plugged the shower drain and filled with water, and let stand overnight. No leaking.

4. Next, I put plastic around all of the tiled areas (2-walls and bench). I sealed with masking tape around the top, bottom, and sides. I took 3 showers and NO leaking! I assumed that the source of the leak was the grout/tile.

5. I contacted tile-grout guy, who said that tile and grout are not meant to be a complete water barrier. He was confident that the source of my leak is the shower pan--that it needed to be hot-mopped. While this guy has not seen my shower, I find his assessment notable, because, this means that he would not get my business $$.

I'm not sure of the next step to take and don't want to waste more money! Please advise--thank you!
    Evelyn
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 15, 2012, 02:00 PM
    Based of what you told us I'd say #4 says you need to be regrouted and then sealed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Tiled Shower - cracked grout between shower wall and pan [ 4 Answers ]

I just spent 10K on labor alone to remodel my master bath. I purcahsed all Hand made tiles (Walker Zanger) and the contractor came highly recommended... After less than one month of use (and I did seal the shower walls and floor with a very good sealer), I noticed a hairline crack in the Grout...

Leaking upstairs shower, tile shower, 55 year old home... [ 0 Answers ]

My 2nd floor shower seems to be leaking. After use there is a drip/puddle of water all the way down in the basement (no other signs or water damage on main floor so far). Drip is coming down into a storage area under the stairs near where the main house drain is located. Any ideas...

Leaky shower floor tile grout in corners [ 6 Answers ]

My shower stall is tiled, floor, walls, and ceiling. For some time now I have noticed that the grout in two of the corners of the floor always looked darker than the rest. Last week I scraped out this grout and found it to be moist for about 3" in each horizontal section of the wall/floor area...

Leaky Shower Bad Grout or Leaky Shower Pan [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought a townhouse that had the upstairs bathroom redone completely with a walk it tile shower. I have been there a year and recently noticed that the grout is slightly cracked around the base (floor and walls). I have also noticed mold that I have sprayed in the grout (Since leaving...

Replace concre-tile shower with new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my concrete-tile shower with swanstone 32x60L shower base. The new drain location will be around 4" away from the original drain location. What should I do? Can I use the existing P-trap with the new drain location by connecting them using a horizontal PVC pipe? Or do I have to...

View more questions Search