Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artwork express Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2009, 08:43 PM
    Who's pottery mark is this, a heart inside a square
    I found this small bud vase that appears to be hand made and has a gold rope bordering all decorations. There is a small heart inside of a square. I have attached photos of the vase. No name on the bottom. If anyone recognizes what company or artist did this please let me know. Judy:p
    Attached Images

roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 07:34 AM
    Beautiful handy work! Are there any markings or a signature inside the vase or underneath it?

If it is Japanese here's a link to a site with Japanese porcelain marks. I couldn't find that mark there... though.
    http://antiques.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ/Ya&sdn=antiques&zu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gotheborg.com% 2Fmarks%2Findex_jap_marks.htm
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 07:47 AM

Another link for you. ;) it has an alphabetical list where you can look at a-f and so on.
    Pottery, Porcelain and China Marks
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 08:15 AM
    I have seen similar pieces where I am.
    Most of them are imported from China or Thailand.

Is it possible that this is not an expensive piece?

Edited to add:
    The ones I mentioned though has a stamp at the bottom of the country of origin.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2009, 09:49 AM

I know the UK marks the bottom often with a crown. If it isn't oriental I'd say the UK possibly

You might have better luck looking using the word vase instead of pottery
    artwork express Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by roxypox View Post
    beautiful handy work! Are there any markings or a signature inside the vase or underneath it?

if it is Japanese heres a link to a site with Japanese porcelain marks. I couldn't find that mark there... though.
    About.com: http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/index_jap_marks.htm
    No Nothing on the bottom...I think its porcelain. Thanks Judy:)
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 01:40 PM

Okay, thanks ;) Yeah it kind of looks like porcelain from the pictures.
    Leesa_simpson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2009, 10:10 AM
    I actually picked up a piece with the same marking as yours and I am also having trouble locating it's origin. But I think it might be enamel...
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Sep 6, 2009, 10:59 AM

One way to tell if it is ceramic, and what type, is to tap or flick it with a nail. Ceramic will make a tinkling sound and porcelain makes a higher pitched sound than other clays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are of square, inside of a circle [ 14 Answers ]

A square is inscribed in a circle of radius 3(square root sign)2. Find the area of the square. First off, Idk how to put a square root symbol up on this question haha. Second, I get the radius. I just did 18x3.14 But I don't know how to get the area of the square if the only measurement...

Apple Quicktime Logo w/ question mark inside [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I HOPE you can help me!! I have yet to be able to figure out how to play movies on or with Quicktime, and NOW in place of where the icon normally goes in various websites, ( for advertising) I see a faded Quicktime icon with a question mark inside of it. :confused: Please advise...

Heart Shaped Pottery with Asian Mark on Underside, Identification [ 4 Answers ]

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me something, anything about this piece of pottery. I don't know a single thing about it except that it's kind of ugly in my opinion. Can anyone identify the mark, or tell me what the red spot on the bottom means? There is also an A scratched in the...

View more questions Search