Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 1, 2008, 08:33 PM
    Sheer torture!
    413-pound inmate loses weight, sues
    An inmate awaiting trial on a murder charge is suing the county, complaining he has lost more than 100 pounds because of the jailhouse menu

Broderick Lloyd Laswell says he isn't happy that he's down to 308 pounds after eight months in the Benton County jail. He has filed a federal lawsuit complaining the jail doesn't provide inmates with enough food.

According to the suit, Laswell weighed 413 pounds when he was jailed in September. Police say he and a co-defendant fatally beat and stabbed a man, then set his home on fire.

"On several occasions I have started to do some exercising and my vision went blurry and I felt like I was going to pass out," Laswell wrote in his complaint. "About an hour after each meal my stomach starts to hurt and growl. I feel hungry again."

But Laswell then goes on to complain that he undertakes little vigorous activity.

"If we are in a small pod all day (and) do next to nothing for physical exercise, we should not lose weight," the suit says.

"The only reason we lost weight in here is because we are literally being starved to death."

The suit also asks that the county be ordered to serve hot meals. The jail has served only cold food for years.

The meals, provided through Aramark Correctional Institution Services, average 3,000 calories a day, jail Capt. Hunter Petray told the Morning News of northwest Arkansas for a story Saturday.

A typical Western diet consists of 2,000 to 3,000 calories a day.

Laswell's suit was filed without a lawyer in U.S. District Court in Fayetteville.

-- Associated Press

Do YOU feel for him?
    What would you do!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 05:29 AM
    Hello Saph:

I'd sue too. Cold sandwiches suck for dinner.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Our GITMO detainees are gaining weight . Perhaps a change of scenery ?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 05:35 PM
    He'll probably win. We had a 500 lb contractor that was determined to be a disadvantaged business owner because of obesity. He therefore had to be given favorable treatment for getting state contracts. It may vary by state or it may be a Federal requirement.
    It could become a handicapped treatment issue. They will at least have a medical evaluation and the Dr. may well determine he is receiving sufficient calories, even for his size, and he will have to lose weight to cut down on the cost to the taxpayers to feed him.
    But if they don't have the authority to make him lose weight, they will have to give him more food just like they would have to spoon feed a guy with no arms.
    Or they might put an electronic monitor on him and park him at IHOP.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

May 2, 2008, 05:42 PM
    Ex I thought it was bologna sandwiches breakfast, lunch AND dinner!
    Tomder maybe some kind of a deal could be made between GITMO and our prisoners.
    Smearcase IHOP sounds good too.

... and to think some people pay big bucks to lose weight!
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2008, 06:00 PM
    He needs to lose weight so when they hang him his head won't pop off.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 2, 2008, 06:09 PM
    Mag, that's great!:D

Aw, the poor guy, to think that he had to suffer so, my heart goes out to him. (sarcasm)

Are you kidding me? He weighs more than twice as much as me after losing 100 pounds and I'm supposed to feel bad for him. Ya, I'd love to say to his face "Suck it up buttercup." Nope, no sympathy here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sheer curtains for windows next to door [ 4 Answers ]

I am trying to find some plain white sheer curtains for the small windows next to my entryway door. I'm at least looking for something to keep some privacy from someone just peeping right at the front door. Does anyone know where I can find these? I can't find them at any stores. The window...

I am trying to find some plain white sheer curtains for the small windows next . To [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find some plain white sheer curtains for the small windows next... to keep some privacy from someone just peeping right at the front door.. . where could I find them??

Torture OK? [ 22 Answers ]

I heard part of the Democratic (US) debate last night. One question was along the lines of: If a Terrorist says there's an atomic bomb that will go off in 3 days, should the President OK torturing him for the location? I agree with most answers that the President should not condone it.. ....

Dark sheer tights outfit ideas [ 2 Answers ]

I want a fun casual outfit that I can wear dark sheer tights ( the black tights that you can see your skin though ) I want it to be very casual yet sophisticated. The colours that suit me are blacks, whites, reds , Bright colours, not pastels. I have winter colouring ( pale white skin ,...

Sheer cover or baremineral make up [ 1 Answers ]

What do u think is better, sheer cover or bare mineral make up , can u tell your experience in both of them. Thanks

View more questions Search