Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alison reavill Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Lump under left armpit
    Hi

I have found a lump under my left armpit the size of a pea. It is hard and does move around when you feel it.

I also have a dull ache across my back across my shoulder blades.

I also have a dull ache going from the armpit to my left breast almost like a growing pain that I remember when I was younger ( I am 41). I also have a burnng feeling going down my left side from my armpit to almost my waist.

Any suggestions

Thanks
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 03:53 PM
    This could be nothing more than a swollen lymph node, have you had a cold or been sick recently?

When was your last mamogram? It would be wise to have your doctor check this out.

Feb 17, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alison reavill
    hi

I have found a lump under my left armpit the size of a pea. It is hard and does move around when you feel it.

I also have a dull ache across my back across my shoulder blades.

I also have a dull ache going from the armpit to my left breast almost like a growing pain that I remember when I was younger ( I am 41). I also have a burnng feeling going down my left side from my armpit to almost my waist.

Any suggestions

thanks
    I have never had a momogram, I have had a cough for a couple of weeks, I was given antibiotics, it cleared to cough but it has now returned.
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 04:04 PM
    It does sound as though it could be a swollen lymph node since you recently were a little on the sickly side.

However it would be in your best interest to have your doctor check this out.

Feb 17, 2007, 04:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    This could be nothing more than a swollen lymph node, have you had a cold or been sick recently?

When was your last mamogram? It would be wise to have your doctor check this out.
    I have never had a momogram. I have had a cough since just after christmas, I was given antobiotics which cleared it up , however it has returned in the past few days.

Feb 17, 2007, 04:07 PM
    It does sound as though it could be a swollen lymph node since you recently were a little on the sickly side.

However it would be in your best interest to have your doctor check this out.
    If it was something sinister would it be tender?
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 04:10 PM
    As I said, this could be nothing more than a swollen lymph node due to your infection. You had an infection if you were on antibiotics. But it is best to have your doctor confirm that it is indeed a swollen lymph node. A mammogram is not necessary for this.

However, you are getting close to the age that a yearly one should be done.

Feb 17, 2007, 04:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alison reavill
    If it was something sinister would it be tender?
    Would it be tender if it was something sinister and would I have a burning feeling down my side
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Well, my breast cancer was tender and slightly painful, but did not have a radiating feeling like you are experiencing.

Have your doc check this out, you just could have another infection.

Feb 17, 2007, 04:12 PM
    As I said, this could be nothing more than a swollen lymph node due to your infection. You had an infection if you were on antibiotics. But it is best to have your doctor confirm that it is indeed a swollen lymph node. A mammogram is not necessary for this.

However, you are getting close to the age that a yearly one should be done.
    OK many thanks I will book to see my gp

Feb 17, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Well, my breast cancer was tender and slightly painful, but did not have a radiating feeling like you are experiencing.

Did you have a lumo under the arm or in the breast, I don't have a lump in the breat as I have checked
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 04:16 PM
    Mine was in my breast, however there is still some breast tissue under the arm around the armpit area.

Feb 17, 2007, 04:20 PM

Did you have a lump undedf your arm? I haven't got a lump in my breast. Can breat cancer start under the arm then go to the breast. I always thought it was the other way round?

Feb 17, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Mine was in my breast, however there is still some breast tissue under the arm around the armpit area.
    Can breat cancer start under the arm the go to th breast I thought it always started in the breast?

Feb 17, 2007, 04:47 PM
    One last question does a momogram hurt
    Expert

Feb 17, 2007, 08:10 PM
    I am pretty certain you do not have breast cancer, but swollen lymphs as I suggested earlier. However, in answer to your question, breast cancer starts where ever there is breast tissue, the Tail of Spence is breast tissue and is in the armpit area.

No a mammogram does not hurt exactly, but it is quite uncomfortable, it only lasts for a minute, but is one of the best tests you can have done yearly at this age, just as the pap smear is important to us women, mammograms are equally important.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a lump [ 1 Answers ]

well i have a lump in my ear. its smaller then a per. and i have a lump in my arm buts its smaller then a pea. what sould i do? is it cancer?

Lump behind daughters left ear [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 year old daughter was complaining to me about her left ear being hard of hearing for a short time while she was at school then it went away. The next day she had noticed a lump behind her ear that is somewhat firm. I had taken her to the doctor that same day and they did a preasure test on...

A Lump? [ 1 Answers ]

This is kind of awkward... but, recently I found that I have a small lump on the inside of my.. ehm... butt? I have no idea what it is and am concerned it might be a tumor. I'm hoping that I am just jumping to conclusions and worrying about nothing, but it's bothering me. It doesn't hurt, or itch,...

View more questions Search