Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    student007 Posts: 60, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2006, 10:41 AM
    Labour issues in France
    I just recently heard about something that's been going on in France about labour. I hear that France changed the minimum age at which a worker can be fired with no reason (or something). This sounds pretty interesting. But I've been having some trouble finding specific info online. Can anyone give me a brief update on what exactly has been going on?

Thanks
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 04:14 PM
    "The controversial bill, entitled the Contrat première embauche (CPE - First Employment Contract or Beginning Workers Contract), would make it easier for workers under twenty-six years old to be fired. It allows employers the opportunity to terminate employment of workers under twenty-six without any reason, with little or no notice, within their first two years of employment.

Those opposed to the First Employment Contract are worried that it could compromise job security, encourage social pressure with a view to lowering wages, and impede employees in having legal recourse in cases of sexual harassment, since this could lead to their subsequently being fired.

Meanwhile, proponents of the bill claim that high unemployment in the French youth was caused by the present labor laws instead of lack of economic growth."

Read more at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_la...ests_in_France
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Yes currently it is close to impossible to fire someone, I understand it can take up to a couple years even for fairly good cause.

So of course those who are perhaps less good workers ( maybe those unemployed) would not want that.

Of course they are use to Europe level of employment and rules. Had they have to come to the US they would consider our rules barbaric. We can actually fire someone for no reason in many states and for cause you can fire a person in all states.

And we don't even have to give paid vacations and expect you to work everyday and even be on time.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 09:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Yes currently it is close to impossible to fire someone, I understand it can take up to a couple years even for fairly good cause.

So of course those who are perhaps less good workers ( maybe those unemployed) would not want that.

Of course they are use to Europe level of employment and rules. Had they have to come to the US they would consider our rules barbaric. We can actually fire someone for no reason in many states and for cause you can fire a person in all states.

And we don't even have to give paid vacations and expect you to work everyday and even be on time.
    In Canada, each province sets it own rules and while a tiny bit more liberalized than the US, pretty much the same general rules as the Americans.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Yes I have a lot of relitives that decided not to move to the colonies and stayed in Canada. I almost moved there some years ago, but immigration was going to be an issue, citizenship and all of that, so I decided not to.

I like the health care program in general, everything can be improved but it is a better start than what the US has

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel between us and france [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! Does anyone know the law on a french citizen visiting the us (for 3 months) then returning to France. How long before he can return to the US? And what is the best option for him to be able to travel freely to both countries? Is it a visa and how does one go about obtaining one... ...

France [ 1 Answers ]

The number of republics France has had?

France-US citizenship [ 3 Answers ]

I am a French citizen living in the US . I have been here since I was 6yrs old.Iam married to a US citizen and work as a master plumber here. Iam trying to get info on how to get dual citizensip with the US and France

Retirement to France Enquiry [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this is the right board on which to post this question. I have also posted it under 'Travel". I am a US veteran with a disability rating of 100%, & have decided to move to Paris France. My disabilities, while major, do not limit my mobility or yet require use of wheelchair or other help to...

I'd like to move to england or france [ 1 Answers ]

Are there any good books and/or websites that have really good information about the inticacies of moving to either england or france and buying a home? :-/

View more questions Search