Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aubreyj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2005, 11:20 AM
    Better way to hide password?
    My boyfriend's ex was a computer genius.. and also a little bit psycho. She had his email and so got my address. Now, I do not know how, but she was able to get my password or something and enter my inbox. So I did the logical thing and changed my password (we both did)... but she KEEPS getting it!! This has happened like three times. Is there any way to block her?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 14, 2005, 05:34 PM
    Sounds like she has a key logger on your system. Have you run an anti-spyware utility?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2005, 02:23 AM
    Also if you don't have one already - get a firewall on your PC. This should block whatever she is using to send the information off your PC. If you already have a firewall, reset all the programs allowed access. Then if a program asks for access and you're not familiar with it - then this could be it. Deny it access for now until you manage to find out what it is (Google the file/service name).

Sep 20, 2005, 12:50 PM
    Hmm.. well I don't think that is it, because I was not using a home computer when it all started, but going from internet café to café. And she is many countries away. Maybe she had friends in country doing it for her? Anyway, she's stopped harassing us mostly, but I'm still pretty freaked out. And I can't completely switch over to another address because I'm too afraid to lose touch with a lot of people.

As far as for my home computer- the firewall and anti-spyware utility- I use an ibook, is that still the right thing to do, and if so where do I get those?

Sigh.. thanks everyone.
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2005, 01:11 AM
    If you were moving from internet café to internet café and she was still guessing your password, I'm guessing you setting the password to something she could guess every time or she is hacking it somehow (but this is very unlikely). Are you using a combination of letters, numbers and special characters in your password (e.g. he1!0)?

Also who is your email provider?

Sep 21, 2005, 10:51 AM
    Yes, I am using passwords that there is no way she could guess, and I have a Yahoo account. I would not be surprised if she was hacking it if that is actually possible, because my boy told me that she could do stuff like that... But he does not really understand computers at all, so I do not know.
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2005, 01:31 AM
    I would say hacking into a Yahoo account cannot be done. To think that one person, on their home PC, could hack into a service run by a huge company with a lot of money, security experts etc. is pretty far fetched.

Most people "hack" into accounts by using social engineering. That's where you just simply ring up, pretty to be someone from support and ask. You'll be surprised how often people just hand over the information. Obviously this isn't the case in this situation as you wouldn't tell your boyfriends ex the password.

Maybe she got into your account this way - When signing up for an email account there is always some way you can retrieve your password if you forget it. Normal this is some kind of security question or something like that. It can also sometimes involve sending something to a separate email address. Is there anyway you think she could be using the forgotten password tool to help her get your password? Whould she be able to answer your security question? I'm not what info they ask for on the forgotten password tool on Yahoo.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to hide a running a program! [ 1 Answers ]

Now I have a program, but I don't want it to be closed by other users who use that computer,too. What should I do, is there a program to ask for a password whenever some one tries to close it?

Hide icon tray.. [ 4 Answers ]

I want to hide tray icon of my open program so that other can't use it... I all ready try systrayx it good but demo version is now enddate, so I'm just trying to find if there is any tray icon hider available "FREE SOFTWARE" :D...

Any Tricks On How To Hide Spots On Mirror That Need Resilvering? [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone can help with the following? The bathroom cabinet has 2 large smoked mirror doors that have lost the silvering. They are looking quite sad and I am seeking any opinions, advice, instructions, suggestions - any "HOME REMEDY TYPE OF TIPS" - like do it yourself...

How can I hide a program [ 6 Answers ]

Hello I have a question How can I hide a program from add or remove programs in control panel??

View more questions Search