Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arthurbach4 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Wireless router not connecting with SOME devices.
    I have a reasonably unusual problem with my wireless router.

I am running a PC (laptop with XP) and I have a Netgear WGR614 v7 wireless router (4 port).

At various times I wirelessly connect the following:
    Ps3/pda/laptopx2.

For a good 6 months everything would connect (often all at the same time) with no problem what-so-ever, but recently I have had some issues.

Now NOTHING will connect wirelessly to the router EXCEPT my laptop.

That's weird right?

To clarify - everything FINDS my router and often hooks into it at full or excellent strength but while it connects to the router per say it does NOT go on to connect to the INTERNET proper.

The really weird thing is that the wireless card on my laptop (also netgear as it came with the router) DOES wirelessly connect just fine.

You should see the looks my flatmate is giving me as she sits there with her "kind of but not quite" connected laptop!

I tried having the ethernet cord connect into one of the four connections at the back of the router (as opposed to the main ethernet connection at the back). This presents the same issue but now MY laptop also doesn't connect to the internet (though it does connect to the router).

If it matters, when the ps3 fails to connect it says:

"An error occurred during connection with the server. This is a DNS error (80710102)".

I was thinking maybe it was a problem with the settings on the router but that is where my "expertise" ends.

P.s. If it matters - when I connect the ethernet cord DIRECTLY into my laptop it also works perfectly.

Hope you can help.

Pete.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 09:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurbach4
    Now NOTHING will connect wirelessly to the router EXCEPT my laptop. That's wierd right?
    It's an indication something, somewhere changed. Have you had any power blips that might have reset the router to defaults or hit a reset button?

Quote Originally Posted by arthurbach4
    I tried having the ethernet cord connect into one of the four connections at the back of the router (as opposed to the main ethernet connection at the back)....

"An error occurred during connection with the server. This is a DNS error (80710102)".
    I would begin troubleshooting by getting your two laptops working correctly WIRED. Verify that both laptops have either a static ip address on the same subnet assigned or are getting a DHCP assigned address from the router. The command "ipconfig /all" from a command prompt in Windows will tell you this. If the devices are expecting to get an address via DHCP and the router isn't serving addresses, then they won't work. Assume the network settings on your laptop's wireless adapter are "correct." Similar settings will need to be transferred to the wired adapters. You may get a complaint about another adapter having the same settings in which case increment the ip address by some arbitrary number.

Posting the ipconfig results for both laptops before changing anything would be helpful.
    boredINmind Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Apr 28, 2008, 05:42 AM
    First, check all the wire connections, just to make sure no one has messed around with them.
    Second, turn off and restart the router.
    Third, try rerunning the start up disc in order to reset everything to default.

Some router brands have a website you can go to in order to connect your equip to the router, check see if yours has one! (Linksys does, not sure about your brand)

I agree with what Scleros is saying about the addresses, so def follow those directions!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 28, 2008, 05:47 AM
    Have you called Netgear tech support? I also agree that its likely the router may have been reset and you may need to restore security settings. But Netgear has good tech support and they can walk you through setting up the router.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connect to wireless printer and wireless router at the same time [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I can connect wirelessly to my router and I can connect wirelessly to my pinter one at a time. If I'm browsing the internet and want to print I have to break my connection to the router and connect to the printer. This is a pain in the .(especially when listening to pandora radio) ...

Wireless router [ 1 Answers ]

What are the steps to installing a Netgear WRG614 wireless router if I'm already using Verizon DSL with a Westell 6100 modem?

Connecting 2 PC's using a router [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have two laptops (both with windows xp) at home and they are connected wirelessly to the internet through a WRT54GL v1.1 linksys router (both laptops have a built-in wireless card). How could I connect my two laptops together wirelessly through the router and be able to access the files on...

Wireless Handheld Devices [ 1 Answers ]

Please give me the List of Wireless Handheld Devices

View more questions Search