Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MariaO Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Kitchen Faucet No pressure Why?
    Hi all,

My kitchen faucet used to work just fine (normal pressure) but now it has no pressure and when I turn it off it takes a few seconds to shut off. Even when I turn on both (hot and cold) full blast my pressure never changes. Do I have a leak in the pipe some where? Please help. Don't want to call a plumber unless I just have to. :eek:
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Kitchen faucet
    Hi,
    What type of kitchen faucet do you have? Brand name?
    If it has a screen in the faucet, it might be clogged. Also, the on-off valves for both hot and cold might be worn, not allowing it to shut off the water instantly.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2006, 07:54 AM
    Good morning Maria,

Have you umscrewed the areator from the end of the faucets spout and checked for trash? With the aerator removed turn the water back on, full stream now? If not click on back.
    Regards, tom

Jan 15, 2006, 09:05 AM
    American Standard
    The faucet is a cheapy. American Standard. I cleaned out the screen at the end of the faucet as was suggested and it did help. Now I am not sure if it is back to normal. It still seems to have less pressure.

How do I change the on/off valve?

Thanks for y'all responses. Much appreciated. :D
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 15, 2006, 09:12 AM
    "How do I change the on/off valve?"
    Please explain, "off and on valve" do you mean the angle stops in the cabinet or the innards to your faucet? Regards, Tom

Jan 15, 2006, 06:13 PM
    On/off valve
    Speedball-
    The other expert that advised said something about the on-off valves might be worn down and that is why it doesn't shut off instantly. Also, my husband and I both agree that the pressure is still not totally restored. He noticed that the pressure in the washing machine is also nonexistent for the hot water. Could all this be related? Should I just by a new faucet?? :confused:
    Thanks again!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 16, 2006, 05:56 AM
    Good morning Maria,

"The other expert that advised said something about the on-off valves might be worn down and that is why it doesn't shut off instantly"

While "the other expert" gives great advice as a rule, this time he was off base. All the angle stops do is open up or shut down the water flow to the faucet, they have nothing to do with the way it operates.

" He,(sic; my husband) noticed that the pressure in the washing machine is also nonexistent for the hot water.

Your hot water supply hose to your washer has a screen in it also. Did you unhook the hose from the hose bib and check it?
    "Could all this be related? "
    I think the only thing that's "related" is trash in your lines.
    "Should I just by a new faucet?? "
    Not until you open up the faucet and check the inlet ports of the cartridge for trash and flush out the supplies.
    Do you flush your water heater on a regular basis?
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Let me show you how. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Hope this helps, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure on kitchen faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I'm hoping that someone can help me on my issue because I am at my end! I recently replaced my kitchen faqucet with a Peerless, two handle faucet with sprayer. Since then my water pressure has been poor. I then took off the sprayer and capped the middle threaded outlet underneath but I still have...

No pressure in my kitchen faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I moved into this house about 4 months ago, and all the faucets have great pressure except my kitchen faucet. I get no pressure there, and now very little water coming out of the faucet at all. The house is 11 years old, I have no idea what to do. Can you offer any suggestions?

Kitchen Faucet water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Recently I replaced the kitchen faucet fixture in an apartment. The piping is old galvanized. We also replaced the supply lines and shut off valves. The supply lines are the new fangled flood proof lines that shut off automatically if the line is torn. The problem is we now have much reduced...

Kitchen faucet pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced my single handle kitchen faucet to a double handle faucet. (No special reason.) I added a sprayer also. Everything has worked great, which has been about 3 months up until about a week ago. I have good pressure when I turn on either the cold or hot, but when I turn on the other, the...

Hot Water Pressure- Kitchen Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, The other day, we turned the kitchen faucet on and there was no hot water pressure all of a sudden... we just get a trickle. The water pressure in the rest of the house is fine (hot and cold) and the cold water comes out fine as well. Any ideas? Thanks!

View more questions Search