Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielhelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 09:53 PM
    Is putting myself on child support good for me?
    I just want to know if its benefiting to put myself on child support when I got to court? I already filed with the court and served her with the sheriff. I am just waiting on her reply and to go to court. Cause I am guessing that's what's going to happen right? I have supported my son since he was born, bought clothes, diapers, food, and so on. My ex has cheated on me and I has basically her slave all this time, I finally realized I didn't deserve that cause I am a good person. I also don't get to spend time with him alone or my family, she always has to be there. Would it be tough on me, meaning not be able to get my own time? Any help would be appreciated, also and advice on what to do or what's going to happen will be appreciated, thanks.
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 6, 2012, 09:59 AM
    First, you seem to be laboring under the impression the child support and custody/visitation are related. Whatever happens with support will not affect your visitation rights. If you would like visitation, you have to pretition separately for it. If there are no issues, at a minimum, you will receive visitation that will allow you to take your child with you instead of visiting in the mother's home.

I think that child support is a good idea. It gives your children the regular support that you are already providing, while protecting you in the case that you ex decides that all of your financial support has been a gift. If you live in a state that allows for retroactive support, she could file later and get support all the way back to the birth of your child, regardless of what you have already paid paid. You will be instantly in arrears, and could face consequences such a suspension of professional and operators licenses, garnishment of your wages, and jail time. Just make sure that you stay on top of your payments and report any changes in your financial situation to the court or child support caseworker immediately. Make sure you respond to any requests for documentation in a timely manner.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 11:37 AM
    You file for child custody or child visit, the court will either order or she will file for child support ( if she gets custody of the child)
    Handyman2007 Posts: 988, Reputation: 73

Jan 6, 2012, 07:33 PM
    How does one "put themselves on child support"?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 6, 2012, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman2007 View Post
    How does one "put themselves on child support"?
    You file for it before the mother does. And you ask the courts to approve it.
    danielhelp Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 10:04 PM
    Actually both child support and visitation/parenting time was in the same packet, so I filed for that stuff in particular, thanks for the responses, I just would like too know what would happen after she gets served? Like what would happen if she agrees or not? Also would getting a lawyer a good idea or just a waste off money? What is some stuff she can use to affect me cause she doesn't want me seeing him or spending time, if she got a lawyer would it affect me if I didn't?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I owe back child support, will child support garnish the whole tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

Will child support garnish the whole tax return?

Can my sons father get out of child support, or back child support? [ 2 Answers ]

The paternity was established for my son at 6 months of age.. will the father have to pay the past 6 months?

Should you have to pay child support even if you take good care of your child? [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, My boyfriend has a 5 yr old daughter by a greedy gold diggin' baby mama (which they do not get along at all!). His child lives with her mother. He takes much care of his daughter, buying her stuff that she needs/wants, spending time w/ her, picking her up from daycare, etc... Basically,...

Putting the child first [ 8 Answers ]

My husband and I have cared for his biological niece for 10 years, she will be 12 in June. We are finally setting forth to adopt for her. She deserve this, we deserve it! We are setting to terminate the fathers rights who hasn't ever been with her. We are doing this through a paralegal. The...

View more questions Search