Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blondie117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Connecting to 1 1/2" copper drain with pvc kitchen sink drain trap
    I'm trying to rehook up the kitchen sink pvc trap to the old copper drain pipe but the connector doesn't fit tight enough and the water links out. Any ideas how to stop this leak?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 12, 2008, 07:11 PM
    You could get Flex Seal coupling. It is easy to install and will not leak.j

What fitting is on the end of the copper pipe ?
    blondie117 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2008, 10:17 AM

Nothing, it was cut back in '87 when the first kitchen reno's took place
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 13, 2008, 10:42 PM

Ok, go to Home Depot, to ABS fitting department. There is a display with rubber Flex Seal couplings. Select the small 1 1/2 to 1 1/2" rubber coupling. (not the black one but light grey; black one would be too big since it is for 1 1/2 ABS pipe. ). It costs about $2.99. Slip it over one end of the pipe, line up second pipe, slip it back over second pipe and tighten both s.s. clamps. That's all...
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2008, 07:26 AM
    Milo suggested a flexible coupling. I prefer a more ridged connection such as a 1 1/2 " metal band Coupling,(see image), Good luck, Tom
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 07:30 AM

Tom; Tubular PVC is thin wall and is true 1 1/2" in diameter. Metal band coupling will not squeeze tight around tubular PVC and / or warp it when pressure applied.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 14, 2008, 07:37 AM
    I'll take your word for it Milo but you can crank a No-Hub Bamd down real tight. Tom
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 05:20 PM
    Milo... what makes you think it is a TUBULAR pvc trap? I can see where you are headed, but not absolutely sure here?

Blondie117... what kind of pvc pipe/trap do you have? A thin-walled flexible pvc or a very rigid pvc... let us know so we can tell you exactly which clamp to order... ;)

MARK
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 14, 2008, 06:15 PM

Rubber adapter clamp (1 1/2) will do the job. Whether it be tubular, copper, or pvc. You will not need the rigidity of the metal band coupling for this fix. You can make a 1 1/2 adapter clamp( fernco coupling) squeeze down a whole lot more than a metal band coupling. I would prefer to see you use a namebrand adapter(fernco) because the actuall clamps are much stronger and will suck the rubber up tight without stripping the clamp.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installation of a deeper kitchen sink and trap/drain requirements [ 6 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of choosing a contractor to remodel my kitchen. I already know that the new kitchen sink which will be installed is approximately 4" deeper than my current sink. One of the contractors told me that the horizontal drain pipe coming from the wall would need to be...

Connecting a sink drain to a shower drain [ 1 Answers ]

How can I tie a new sink drain into an existing shower drain? I have a stall shower that has been removed for replacement and woulde like to add a sink on the abutting wall. Can I tie the drains together?

Adding washing machine drain to 2" kitchen drain. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 2" drain that goes to 1 1/2" for the kitchen sink and connected dishwasher. I am tool proficient and have some plumbing experience. I want to add a washing machine drain breaking out from the 2" hub. The washing machine is 5' away on the same wall. The drain pipe need not be in...

Copper sink drain too slow, not clogged which type drain is best [ 2 Answers ]

We just refinished bathroom with double vanity copper sinks. They have a flat grid drain in the bottom, not vented. Is there a different drain that would allow the water to drain easier? We have to swirl water or stir water to get it to begin draining, like there is a suction...

View more questions Search