Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jatlaw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida
    Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida?
    I have a house that I rented out, I have been told the rental income is subject to sales tax. I had rental property in California, I never paid sales tax the rental income.

Can someone please confirm this for me.
    Thanks
    MarkRealEstateConsultant Posts: 49, Reputation: 5

Oct 18, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Generally No, not sales tax. Business income tax yes.

UNLESS the premises are part of a building where separate accommodations for two or more families living independently of each other are supplied to transient or permanent guests or tenants and the term of this Lease, above, is for six (6) months or less, under the Florida "Convention Development Tax Act", Landlord is required to collect and Tenant is required to pay, in addition to rent, a state tax (hereinafter referred to as "Convention Development Tax"), equal to six (6) percent of the monthly rental rate. Also, under the Convention Development Tax Act, the county may impose a tax (hereinafter referred to as "County Convention Tax") in addition to the state's Convention Development Tax. The aforementioned taxes apply to leases with a term of six (6) months or less and is collectible for a period not to exceed six (6) months if Tenant continuously resides in the same physical location. Landlord is prohibited from paying for, reimbursing Tenant or compensating Tenant, in any manner, for payment of these taxes. Additional information regarding these taxes is available from the county department of revenue or taxation in which the premises is located.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

S. Florida easement/Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

The neighbor is tearing their house down and re-building. They are asking for an easement to put the elec. Lines in the ground (10-15 feet into our property). Our house is on the market to be sold. Should we say no?

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida [ 1 Answers ]

Is rental income from real estate subject to sales tax in state of Florida? I have a house that I rented out, I have been told the rental income is subject to sales tax. I had rental property in California, I never paid sales tax the rental income. Can someone please confirm this for me....

Income tax treatment of sales tax on improvement to rental property [ 3 Answers ]

For income tax purposes, major improvements to my rental property must be depreciated over a period of years. Can I take the sales tax on those improvements as a deduction in the year of the improvement, or must the sales tax amount be included in the depreciation schedule? Thank-you, ...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

NC Residential rental real estate. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant here in NC who has been under a verbal rental agreement with me (& my wife) since July 2006. We allowed her to rent well under market in order to get back on her feet. Over time she would get the utilities in her name and would be able to pay closer to a fair market rent. It has...

View more questions Search