Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ShermanVA Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 01:10 PM
    Turn off heat pumps in cold weather
    Since Heat pumps lose efficiency at lower temperatures, at what outside temp does the cost of running the heat pump (compressor, defrost cycle & ware & tare) exceed the cost of operating on backup heat? I have been told never, 30, 20, 10 deg.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 01:47 PM
    The reason you get many different answers is the fact that heat will still be generated by a heat pump down to -20 and below since in our world there is always heat that can be extracted it seems from the air no matter how cold it is.

The problem is the fact that sometimes the additional wear and tear on equipment is not worth the operation of a heat pump at lower temperatures. All heat pumps will have a chart as seen below available from the manufacturer or included with the machines paperwork for each different model number of unit. While this chart along with other information is used to calculate the balance point of the system (the point where a system will need to use strip/resistance heat to make up for indoor temperature loss due to the fact that the heat pump itself will not supply all the heat needed) it also can be used with other information to help calculate when it is best to turn off the heat pump and go with strait resistance heat.

There is much more to this subject and the installer/startup tech should have adjusted the system to automatically switch over during installation. Since much more info is needed to give you an exact answer I will defer the remainder of this to your local service company who professionally installed your system.

NOTE: The chart below is for a 5 ton/60,000 BTU unit.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

I have never had a heat pump before so am not sure what the problem is, first of all it was coated with a white substance for quite awhile. The top of it was free of stuff, fan running etc. The top foot or so on the side woul come off if you scraped it off the bottom white stuff was more like ice....

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 6 Answers ]

Do heat pumps have heating elements? My thermastat is set for 68 degrees but when I got up in the middle of the night is was cold to me so I checked the thermastat and even though it was set at 68 before I went to bed the actual only said 57. It is running but not getting up to the temperatur the...

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

Is a heat pump efficient in a climate like N. Minnesota where temps can be below 0 for extended periods? GSJ

Proper procedure in attaching manifold gauges on heat pumps during cold weather [ 3 Answers ]

To get the proper pressure and temperature reading using manifold gauges on a heat pump during cold weather; knowing the reversing valve will reverse the both coil functions in the system, where do I attach the manifold gauges since there are 4 service ports on a heat pump during very cold weather?

Heat pumps in cold weather [ 2 Answers ]

I just want to know at what level should a rheem heat pump be caple of heating a house down to. It won't get past 30 and I have done countless things to it. Its 3 years old and has never done what I was told it should do. I was told to around 0 and its not even close to that. I put commercial grade...

View more questions Search