Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amateur_vince Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Concern about circuit panel overload
    I'm in a process of adding a full bath and have a few concerns that I need your help with:

#1. I have a 125 Amp circuit panel, and I did some calculation by adding up all the Amps for individual circuit breakers. I came up with:
    a. On the left hand side, the total of 155 Amps.
    b. On the right hand side, the total of 235 Amps.

Is this true that for a 125 Amp circuit panel, you can only have up 125 amps when you added all the indidual circuit breakers together?

#2. I'm planning to add 2 more circuit breakers of 20 Amps to this panel, my concern is about overloading the panel. Can I do this? If not can you advise me what I need to do instead of having an electrician guy upgrades to 200 Amp panel. We don't have the budget right now to upgrade to the 200 Amps.

Your help are valuable.
    Thanks.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 30, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Load calculations are not done by adding the overcurrent rating of fuses or circuit breakers.

If you provide a list of all appliances, heat, cooling and square footage of livable space in the home, I can do the calcs to check the size of your service. I do not do the calcs here or explain how they are done.

If any one would like to see how the load calculations are done they can visit the library and review any edition of the National Electric Code.

If your service was sized properly, there should be plenty of room for future expansion, and the two circuits should be fine to add without fear of tripping the main breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power supply of Fan concern? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I new to this so can anyone help? A fan on my power supply has recently beening getting noisy. The noise come and goes. Its gets loud something's and then quiet downs for a while. Like I mentioned above this started to happen recently. Is this problem cause by my power supply...

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Concern [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 22 and I have been experiencing sharp breast pain, and I have a light spotting. I have been on the ortho tri-cyclen for 3 months and this is the first one that spotting and breast pain occur. I had my period 10 ago and I don't know what to think. Is this something due to the pill or should I...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

Girl Friend Overload? [ 3 Answers ]

It's understandable that you want to do these things for him, as you love him. It's all well and good as long as he appreciates it but the worry is that he will become to rely on you too much. When in a relationship some people adjust slightly but keep their independence, as you have. However,...

View more questions Search