Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaulaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 09:12 PM
    Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form?
    :( hi,

I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax form for North Carolina am I still considered a non-resident (since I have Indian citizenship like in the federal tax form) or am I a part time resident since I moved to North Carolina in September on OPT. Please help me out with this doubt since the deadline is approaching.

Thanks in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Paula:

You are a part-year resident of NC. The state does not really care about your visa status, only how long have you been within the borders of NC.
    PaulaC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 06:40 PM
    Thanku so much for yr response.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B from Oct'05: part of year resident? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm on H1B, my wife and son are on H4. We are in US (California) starting Oct 12, 2005. I have several questions: 1. I filed an extension of time. As I understand, after 5th of June I will pass substantial presence test (SPT) in 2006, and therefore can file 1040A for 2005 under...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Question on state tax - NJ resident NYC job [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I started working in NYC from JULY 2005.Before that I was in India and I am o n H1b.I reside in NJ.I rented a house in NJ on 15th August and stayed till 31st Dec,2005. My husband came to US in July 2005 end on F1 and resides in New York state. We are trying to fill up the return...

Part year resident for MA : bank interests [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The instructions for form 1-NR/PY ( I am a Mass. Part-year resident) say on page 9: "Income: Lines 5 through 11, 24, 27 and 28 If you earned only a portion of the income you reported on your U.S. return while you were a Massachusetts legal resident, subtract from your U.S. income the...

As non-resident, how do I deal with form 4137? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1099-misc for which I should file form 4137 which computes Social security tax and Medicare tax. As F-1 student, I should not pay those. What should I do? File the formm 4137 with my 1040NR and write 0 o lines 10 and 11? How do I explain that? Write a note that I should be exempt? Thanks!

View more questions Search