Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygell Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2006, 09:56 PM
    My dog won't drink or eat ANYTHING (isnt active either)
    I have a dog that used to jump, bite and run, but now it seems like he is weak for some reason. He doesn't run like he used to. I give him food and water but he doesn't eat or drink it neither. He has vomit once and this other time was trying to vomit but couln't get it out. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I din't know what! PLEASE help!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2006, 06:08 AM
    Hi, mygell,
    Thank you for asking a question here, and Welcome to this site.
    Do you have a Vet?
    The answer to your question of "I feel like I'm doing something wrong", is that you probably haven't done anything wrong yourself; except not taking him to a Vet. Please take him.
    Find out what is causing it. Also, how old is he? I do wish you and he the best.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2006, 10:21 AM
    You simply must take him to a vet. How old is he? Older dogs can develop all sorts of conditions. Younger ones are more likely to bolt down something they can't pass. Very likely this is nothing you caused or can remedy.
    VLynn123 Posts: 35, Reputation: 5

Mar 28, 2006, 02:46 PM
    What you need to do is take your dog to the vet. That's how my dog was when she began to get sick, vomiting, lethargic. It's been almost 6 weeks since my dog was sick, and she's beginning to get better now. I suggest you take her as soon as possible.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Our cat did this and it ended up being a heart issue.

The little snot is now on a beta blocker.
    LifeIsTooShort Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2008, 01:07 PM
    I hate this so much... seeing people on the net begging for help for their sick pooch - it simply breaks my heart because I know how it feels. If vets didn't cost so much, people wouldn't have to resort to this. My dog got sick once with pancreatitis and gastroenteritis and it killed me to sit there and watch her dying. I was so upset and so desperate that I was at the drug store begging the pharmacist to please give me some ideas of what I could do to keep her alive until Monday when her vet office was open (this was a Saturday night). I was crying like a sissy - I finally took her to the ER, but they wanted 1500 up front!! I was begging them to please let me make payments, but the vet there was not too caring and kept shaking her head no! So, I finally had to beg my husband (who had no emotioal attachment to this dog) to give me his credit card. He was freaking out and saying, "noooooooooo." I started crying hysterically and he finally relented and gave me his Visa card. I ran right back to the ER and said, "here, now get my dog on that IV now!!!"

Unfortunately, my dog is sick again today, 5 years later. I'm not sure if it's the same sickness as last time, but the symptoms are almost the same, yet a lot milder. The good news is she got sick during the weekday while the regular vet is open, so we have taken her to the vet twice and each time was 100 bucks... if you can spare it, it's totally worth it. Most vets like mine are just great people and will try to help you as much as possible, knowing you don't have a ton of money. My vet, with each visit so far, has given me a new antibiotic, worm medicine, nausea medicine (Cerencia - good stuff), and even gave me a bag of fluids with needles to use subcutaneously (which I'm making the hubby do - ewww). We are hoping this helps because we cannot afford 1500 again (actually, by the time they were done at the ER the last time, it was 1700, plus we had to take her to her regular vet the following Monday, which was another 300 bucks! My hubby now calls her "The Money Pit." hehe).

Unfortunately, the subcutaneous fluids don't always work for severely dehydrated dogs, but in my case, my pup is at least drinking on her own - she just won't eat and keeps having small amounts of bloody diarrhea.

I'm so sorry you had to go through this. How did it all turn out - is your pup okay?
    grammy daubert Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygell
    I have a dog that used to jump, bite and run, but now it seems like he is weak for some reason. He doesn't run like he used to. I give him food and water but he doesn't eat or drink it neither. He has vomit once and this other time was trying to vomit but couln't get it out. I feel like im doing something wrong but i din't know what! PLEASE help!
    My dog has chronic renal failure. He was doing real good, now he won't eat . Any suggestions?
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Mar 10, 2008, 08:46 PM
    Grammy--it's also time to call your vet. Chronic renal failure is a rocky road, and your vet needs to know if the dog is having problems. This may be something you can get past with some fluid therapy, prescription food, etc. but his kidney function definitely needs checking out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why isn't my pet eating? [ 4 Answers ]

My dog is believed to be half pitbull and half someything else.he hasn't eaten in about 3-4 weeks.When I feed him he only eats a little bit and spits it back out whens he's done.He's been eating grass every once in a while.he throws up every two days and its different colors eachtime.His ribs are...

My dog isn't eating! [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question, my 4-year-old dog, Brat, isn't eating. She has been diagnosed with epilepsy and I'm afraid that is the problem. She has had this for about 2 years, or has had symptoms of it for that long. She has just started to do this shaking thing and it is starting to scare me :( . Now...

Cat just had kittens and isn't eating well [ 1 Answers ]

My cat sassy just delivered kittens almost a week ago and isn't eating too well... I keep putting healthy dry food and once a day a little wet food in front of her and she sticks her face in it and has maybe a bite or two but that's it. Im worried because I know she needs to eat and stay healthy...

Won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a komondor dog that won't eat or drink been 3 days he has been vomitting and is now brining up bile, he has no get up and go even though we have a ***** that has just come into season

Dog won't drink when alone [ 2 Answers ]

My dog will not drink water when he is home alone. Recently this has been causing issues, I believe, with heat/dehydration. He has twice collapsed after I get home from work. I have have started giving him a bowl of gatorade before leaving for work so that he has SOME fluids in his system. The...

View more questions Search