Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KrisKG Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 11:28 AM
    VGA Problem
    Hey I have this problem with my computer, it's a HP Pavilion Dv6 Notebook, The problem is.. the main laptop screen stopped working, so I set it to a monitor, worked fine for about a year now... Until a week ago, it started doing ''No Signal'' and it takes really long time for the screen to actually show something(I have to turn the computer on and off for several times before it even shows anything) and it has started being REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATING, I really want this fixed.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 04:35 PM
    You may need a new video card. Either way a good cleaning and remove / reinstall the card wouldn't be a bad idea either. The contacts could have corrosion on them.

Installing or Replacing a Video Card HP Pavilion dv6 Entertainment Notebook PC series - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
    joecoolvette Posts: 54, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
    If an external VGA monitor shows a good display when attached to a laptop, but the laptop's internal monitor does not, the problem lies with the Video Cable, or in the Display Assembly.

A) Video Cable:
    For HP it is Display Panel Cable.

1) Connections:
    Check the connection of the cable TO the motherboard, and check the connection AT the back of the LCD screen.
    ( Means you have to open the Display Assembly, plus you remove it from the laptop body, first )

Display Panel Cable motherboard side; Step 16,

How to disassemble HP Pavilion dv6 laptop >> Inside my laptop

Note*
    The connection at the back of the LCD screen may appear to be plugged in tightly, but in reality it may not be. Just takes a small little increment, away from the LCD screen connector, and you have problems.

Step 8 and 9,

How to replace broken LCD screen on HP Pavilion dv6 laptop >> Inside my laptop

2) Damage to the Display Panel Cable:
    If there is obvious signs of damage to the sheath of the cable, there may also be damage to the tiny wires inside.
    Obvious signs or not, the cable should be checked for continuity of it's wires, with a multimeter.

Also have an assistant gently wiggle the cable, and see if you get an intermittent reading.
    Indicates a broken wire.
    (Checking individual wires)

Display Panel Cable checks out it's on to the screen Inverter.

Display Assembly/screen Inverter:

Primer:
    An LCD screen cannot produce light. It needs an additional light source.
    A Backlight is the additional light source.

A Backlight can be a CCFL, or a series of LED lights.

A CCFL is a Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp.
    Similar to Fluorescent lighting used in homes, and businesses, but on a MUCH smaller scale.
    (One example: 2mm in Width, and almost as long as the LCD screen is in height.
    2mm is a little thicker than 1/16th of an Inch )

The HP Pavilion DV6 series of Notebook PC's, use either CCFL, or LED. Just depends on the model.

The screen Inverter converts the power from the laptop, for the LCD screen, and Backlight.
    90 PERCENT OF THE TIME the fault is the screen Inverter.

How to test?
    Requires a sensitive multimeter. Read fairly expensive,

LCD Inverter Test - Laptop Testing for Backlight or Inverter Failure

Most do not have a sensitive multimeter, nor access to one.
    For this reason, plus the ease of accessing to replace, and the usually low cost, the screen Inverter is replaced.

Parts changing I know.

The thin plastic 'frame' in front of your LCD screen is a Display Bezel. (HP)
    Behind it, and mounted at the bottom of the LCD screen assembly, is the screen Inverter.

However, although models that do use a CCFL, ( or two CCFL's), for Backlighting, do use a screen Inverter, models that use LED for Backlighting may, or may not.

For the models that use LED as Backlighting, and no screen Inverter, the Display Panel is replaced.
    (Display Panel = LCD screen)

Sorry to be so 'Windy', wanted to cover both problems.

Your problem now may lay with the laptop;
    A) Being dirty inside,

Or,

B) A graphics chipset problem.

1) If the laptop is dirty inside the Processor, for one, will overheat.
    (The Processor and the graphics chipset, give off the most heat )

If a Processor becomes too hot it turns off. (BIOS turns it off)
    This is a fail safe measure that it built-in. Keeps the Processor from burning up.

2) I agree with calidadof3 about the graphics card statement.

But, only IF it is one of the models that use an MXM technology graphics card, and not one of the models that use Integrated Graphics.

Intel GMA,

Intel GMA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If this holds true the problem may be in the mounting of the graphics chipset.

Apr 24, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Chip and Chipset are slang terms for I.C.
    Integrated Circuit,

Integrated circuit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The chipset for graphics is a GPU,

Graphics processing unit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IF the laptop is using Integrated Graphics, it is a chipset (GPU) soldered to the motherboard.
    The mounting is a BGA surface mount.
    Ball Grid Array.

Compare to an older Intel Pentium 4 processor, that uses a Socket 478 processor socket.

The processor has contact pins on the bottom. (478 of 'em)
    The processor socket has matching socket holes. (478)

With a BGA surface mount, there are no contact pins, nor socket holes.
    Solder Balls take the place of the contact pins.
    Copper Pads take the place of the socket holes. (Copper Pads are gold plated)

The graphics chipset is set into place, with the Solder Balls of the graphics chipset, lining up with the matching Copper Pads on the motherboard.
    Heat is then applied at a specific temperature, and length of time.

The solder balls melt, which solders the chipset to the copper pads.
    (Thereby soldering the chipset to the motherboard )

IF, the graphics chipset overheats, the solder joints made will begin to soften.
    Then re-harden as the chipset cools down.
    This creates Cold solder joints, and a bad contact of the graphics chipset TO the motherboard.

The proper solution is to use a BGA Rework Machine. (Not an oven, propane torch, or Godzilla's flaming breath )

Depending on your model, the graphics chipset may require more cooling surface area.
    Copper sheeting is properly applied.

Here is one method, although it is used for a Dell XPS M1330,

Dell XPS M1330 - nVidia GeForce 8400M GS - Copper Mod

Here is another method for Pavilion dv2000 series, dv6000 series, and dv9000 series Notebook PC's,

HP Pavilion DV6000 Blank screen fix BGA rework video problem - YouTube

Regards,
    joecoolvette

Apr 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
    Edit:
    "1) If the laptop is dirty inside the Processor, for one, will overheat."

Should be, "1) If the laptop is dirty inside; the Processor, for one, will overheat.

( If the laptop is dirty inside, the cooling capacity of the cooling system, will drop tremendously.
    Processor and graphics chipset overheats )
    KrisKG Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 08:48 AM
    Thanks for all your answers!:)

Apr 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
    You're welcome!

Also wondered if you get time, if you would post back your results.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

VGA problem [ 0 Answers ]

So I have this problem with my Computer, it's a Hp Pavilion Dv6(laptop) (the screen has broke - Stupid, I know... and the guarantee is over so I just connect a monitor) and for some reason, the monitor I have for it says ''No Signal'' and it's weird because when I run it on the battery with no...

What is vga signal? [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to boot my computer it displays no VGA & VGI signals, what might be the problem because I replaced the fan and motherboard

Vga driver [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I need a driver for my graphic card drivers name is ARK logic 2000 MI Thank you

VGA problem [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, I am a new comer to this site.. I have a very peculiar problem here. I have a nvidia-6200 AGP card. As I reinstalled my OS I updated the VGA drivers with the latest forceware driver from nvidia. Even after installing the driver, in my device manager its "showing video controller not...

View more questions Search