Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jnabney Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2003, 12:41 AM
    Graphic Program Slows Computer
    I am running Windows XP with 1 GB RAM but when I close down a graphics program after using it, I find the computer runs very slowly and I must reboot before I can continue to use it?
    Is there some work that has been stored during the operation of the graphics program that I can clear out so I don't have to re-boot all the time?
    Please help. Thanks.
    heliotrope Posts: 57, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2003, 11:25 PM
    Hmmm... any chance, do you get a pop up asking if you want to save "the large amount" of info that's been saved to your clipboard? I'd suggest you click NO.

I run Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Jasc's PSP 8.0, Corel Draw Suite 11.0, Bryce... plus tons of other stuff and never have a problem.

Also, are you running a defrag on a regular basis? I run mine 3 times a week. The more "stuff" you do, the more "fragmented" your PC gets. Running your defrag will clear up all the bits and pieces.

One more thought: Do you have a lot of "Start Up" items; reducing these will keep your PC running more efficiently.

Rose

Jul 27, 2003, 12:06 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I have seen the re: clipboard query when I close Photoshop. No, that's not the problem.
    I don't have a number of startup items either. This problem occurs only when I close 3ds max 4.
    It's getting worse too.
    Also, it seems to be wiping out all my previous 'restore points' as well on Windows XP?

Jul 27, 2003, 12:37 PM
    I'm stumped. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

One thing you can do, re: Restore Points, is download a little software program that will let you set your own restore points, and create ones immediately by double-clicking on its icon.

It's just a stop=gap measure, but it might help until you can find out what's causing it. You can download it from Windows XP Utilities and download it directly from System Restore .zip (direct download).

The only other thing I can think of, is possibly some spy/adware. Do you have AdAware or Spybot S&D installed to check?

Lavasoft's AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy

You can also install Spyware Blaster which prevents any spy/adware from installing on your PC in the first place.

I'm grasping at straws, but it couldn't hurt to check.

Rose

Jul 27, 2003, 01:04 PM
    Thanks for your help. I have both ad aware and spybot and run them regularly. I don't think it's that.
    I have checked the 'performance' in the administrative tools before and after I run the graphics program and it doesn't seem to be closing down properly. In other words, even though I exit, it still seems to be running in the background?
    Very odd!

Jul 27, 2003, 01:11 PM
    Well, 1 last stab at a solution:  maybe the file's become corrupted.

Can you save all your files/plugins/etc. to a separate file (so you don't lose anything you've added on), uninstall, then reinstall the program?  Make sure to reboot afterwards, even if it doesn't say you need to.

This is a real puzzler.  Maybe we need more "heads" on this one, if a reinstall won't work.

Rose
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jul 27, 2003, 09:12 PM
    Have you tried manually killing the process in the ctrl+alt+del process manager?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan slows down [ 3 Answers ]

I have 9 Hampton Bay ceiling fans in my house . They are all remote control. 6 of them have slowed down. When they are on high, they work at the same speed as the others are working on slow or med. Some of these are on the same remote. When I put them on high, one goes very slow and the other...

Graphic software... [ 6 Answers ]

May I ask you guys... I'm having problem with adobe and corel ruler... their measurements are not exact in a real ruler... how can I fix it... :confused:

Want to write program to create computer driven car [ 4 Answers ]

How hard would it be to write a program that takes input from 4 wireless high-speed digital video cameras and use it to be able to drive a car? My idea is to write this program, put sensors on the manual controls, and use RC servos to control controls. Use the sensors slaved to another comuter in...

Computer Program for New School [ 6 Answers ]

I help run a new private school for dental assistants, and we are having to keep all of our information manually. How do I write a program to keep up with student information, grades, transcripts, payments etc. I don't know where to begin. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Technical Computer Program Documentation [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, There is a type of document that one creates in a programming company to document all elements of a created computer program. I remember learning that in high school but I can't find my notes. Does anyone know what is the structure of that type of document?? Thanks for any help lent! ;D...

View more questions Search