Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurelio5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
    how to reinforce the floor in center of house that is sitted in post and 4x6 girders?
    I have an existing beam 4 x 8 is supporting 11 ft expand and I want to remove a pantry that is supporting this beam.

Now I want to put another beam under the existing beam that is an engineered
    4 x 12 and want to extended to 17 ft long.

My question is how can I reinforce the floor that is supported in post and 4 x 6 girders?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2012, 01:20 PM
    You description of what you want to do is a bit unclear. "existing beam 4 x 8 is supporting 11 ft expand"? Please re-read your post. To support any weight down, which is what you have here, you need to find where the weight goes to the floor and install support back to the main beam or down to the basement or ground. You can go back to a wall and reinforce that but still need to go back to a foundation or footing, it just can't sit on the floor.
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
    Your girders are under your joists which probably on contrete footers. You can not upsize the girder but can put more footers were you want to expand then add another girder Running off the end of the existing. So double up girder where you want support and off set your footings.

I could be wrong but that's what I got out that OP wants to do?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace the still, center beam and all floor joists on brick ranch house [ 2 Answers ]

I have purchased a 1950s brick ranch house that I have gutted the interior on to find it needs a new sill plate, the center beam and all floor joists replaced. It also has a dirt floor crawl space which was wet, which caused the extensive rotting. This will be fixed once opened up with the proper...

Reinforce 2x8 floor to hold tile & tub [ 6 Answers ]

I'm remodeling a house built in 1890. The second floor joists are 2x8, 16" OC over 12'. I just removed the cast iron tub out of the sagging bathroom (About 1 1/2' of sag). We want to put in tile and a claw foot. I have no problem removing the old joists. Will 2 - 2x8" be enough or should I go with...

2nd Floor Bathroom in Post and Beam house [ 5 Answers ]

First - thanks for the opportunity to get answers here. We live in a Post and Beam home with a second floor bathroom. The entire bathroom is raised on a platform. We need to have some fixtures replaced and I wanted to find out if it is possible to have a panning system installed under the...

Post and beam house 2nd floor plumbing [ 7 Answers ]

I have a post and beam house and want to install a new bathroom upstairs. The visible beams in my first floor are what support the second floor, hence no joist space. My question is related to the plumbing for the tub. I figure I need to build a platform for the tub to sit on. I want to know how...

View more questions Search