Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jan 30, 2010, 07:39 PM
    Laying laminate wood floors over concrete subfloor
    I have concrete floors which I painted and sealed with 4 coats of oil based polyurethane. I want to lay laminate wood floors now. Do I still need a vapor barrier? I am only doing this because the oil-based poly has yellowed in areas and looks like dog pee stains! The paint job is still good after 8 years.
    EZHangDoor Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2010, 07:46 PM

I would still recommend using a vapor barrier. Some of the padding made for installation under laminate flooring has a vapor barrier pre-attached. You will just need to tape the joints. This makes it much easier than laying plastic first.
    nortonalberta Posts: 58, Reputation: 2

Feb 1, 2010, 10:22 AM

I would have to agree with EZHangDoor Patty.
    Get the pad with the vapor barrier & tape the joints with Tuck tape.This will acually make the floor feel a bit warmer as well.
    Best of luck

Feb 4, 2010, 06:29 PM
    [QUOTE=nortonalberta;2206146]I would have to agree with EZHangDoor Patty.
    Get the pad with the vapor barrier & tape the joints with Tuck tape.This will acually make the floor feel a bit warmer as well.
    Best of luck[/QUOTE
    Has anyone used 15 lb roofing felt as the moisture barrier and underlayment?

Feb 4, 2010, 06:32 PM
    [QUOTE=pattyg2;2212456]
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonalberta View Post
    Best of luck[/QUOTE
    I am not sure where I am going to purchase the laminate wood floors from. Has anyone delt with Lumber Liquidators??

Feb 4, 2010, 06:46 PM
    [QUOTE=pattyg2;2212456]
    Quote Originally Posted by nortonalberta View Post
    Best of luck[/QUOTE
    I wouldn't use 15 lb felt. The felt may actually stick the subfloor and the laminate holding it and not letting it expand properly. The pad helps take out any small imperfections in the floor and helps it to float.

Feb 5, 2010, 03:24 AM
    [QUOTE=EZHangDoor;2212489]
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post

I wouldn't use 15 lb felt. The felt may actually stick the the subfloor and the laminate holding it and not letting it expand properly. The pad helps take out any small imperfections in the floor and helps it to float.
    Thanks!I'll go with the 6mil poly and the pad or a combo pad. Now I just have to find the floor I like. Any ideas of suppliers who are reputable?

Feb 16, 2010, 03:48 PM

Since the concrete is sealed with 4 coats of oil-based poly can I lay the 15lb felt and then the 6mil poly before laying the wood laminate floors? I'm not sure whether it will have the pad attached or not yet but if it doesn't I will lay the padding.

Feb 16, 2010, 06:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyg2 View Post
    Since the concrete is sealed with 4 coats of oil-based poly can I lay the 15lb felt and then the 6mil poly before laying the wood laminate floors? I'm not sure whether it will have the pad attached or not yet but if it doesn't I will lay the padding.
    You would only need to lay the 6 mil poly. Felt wouldn't be needed. You will still need to lay the pad underlayment on top of the poly.
    peet caliman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2012, 01:02 PM
    First of all, polyurethane floor paint is a great moisture/vapor barrier, but there's more to this. In your case, IF you don't care about the warranty and IF moisture is not an issue, and IF the surface is level and smooth, then you don't absolutely "need" an underlayment, but you are taking a risk and you may not like the results. Risks? As the floor is painted with 4 coats of oil based polyurethane, and has shown no signs of water damage after 8 years, then there's a good chance that any moisture from the concrete will never be an issue. BUT if the paint ever fails under the flooring, then you will never see it and that's not good. See, water could get through the paint if it ever cracked, as such I would at least lay down 6 mil plastic (overlap and join with duct tape). Beyond the paint and/or plastic, I think the standard foam padding is an option for some people in some cases. For example, if you did not use padding then when you step on the laminate you may feel it go down in some areas but not others, but the padding helps smooth out that 'experience'... For example, I put laminate flooring over vinyl flooring with no padding and there's just one spot where I can feel it moving down a little when I step on it, it does not bother me at all. But such issues bother some people so the industry always recommends (hypes) padding and there's money to be made in that too, so there you go. Personally, I would consider just painting the floor with Vanex Breakthrough and put down some area rugs. Likewise, you can lay tape and faux finish it to make it look like tile. I've done that too, it looks and holds up great.
    Celer Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 03:16 PM
    Ok I don't think anyone asked if this was above grade or below grade?

Do not double up on VB so don't put 6ml plastic down you will trap moisture between the VB.
    Dream Home - Quiet Walk Underlayment :Lumber Liquidators

This is only if your above grade, there are few to none that will warranty laminate below grade.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you use bleach water to clean laminate wood floors? [ 5 Answers ]

Can you use bleach and water to clean Mohawk laminate wood flooring? How diluted should it be if yes?

Polyuthane wood laminate floors [ 6 Answers ]

I have wood laminate flloors that were covered in polyuthane. They now have these little bubbles in them. How do I remove the poly without damaging the floors?

Removal of wood adhesive from wood subfloor [ 4 Answers ]

How do you remove wood adhesie from a subfloor? I want to install strand bamboo in a master bath. My contracter put 1/4 inch plywood over it but it crunches when you walk on it. Im afraid he tried to provide a smooth surface but didn't get rid of the initial problem-the ADHESIVE. I don't want a...

Laying new tile floors left mess on my wood floors [ 1 Answers ]

I had my wood floors removed from my kitchen and new tile laid. Unfortunately, there is mastic residue on the wood floors remaining in my family room. They are Bruce hardwoods a about 12 years old. How can I clean them?

Trouble laying 8" laminate wood flooring [ 5 Answers ]

We are being highly unsuccessful at laying our new laminate wood flooring. We can get one row, but then adding the next row (either by row or by plank) we can't get them to 'click' or 'lock' together. We've tried the brute force method, no good. We've tried the block and tap, tap, tap method, no...

View more questions Search