Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:51 AM
    Who/what is a Freemason?
    What does this term mean?

I have heard of it and read some articles about it, but I could not understand much.

And it seems there are more than one group of freemasons.
    Why are these freemasons viewed in fear?

What do these freemasons do?

Thanks in advance.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 04:52 AM
    If you Google it you will find all you need.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Sep 26, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Freemasonry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:00 AM
    Thanks,

I already did.
    But I cannot find why they are feared so much.
    What is it they actually do?

EDIT:::::Is it like a gentleman's club or more like a religion thing?
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    EDIT:::::Is it like a gentleman's club or more like a religion thing?
    It's all in Curlyben's link. :confused:
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:18 AM
    I read that but sounds all like assumptions...

Is there any evidence to say that freemasons still exists today?

EDIT:::
    It says that it is not a religion, but they believe in a supreme being,but they have these codes and women are not exactly allowed.
    Sorry my question sounded dumb, but it is confusing!
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:20 AM
    Of course they do. My workmate beside me is a mason. They have masonic buildings in most cities.
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:27 AM
    Ok,
    So what do they really do?
    The explanation says they have charities,code of ethics exclusive(sometimes code,unknown to others) to them.

And that many were killed in the Holocaust.But that it allows people from all religions as long as they come with free will.

I have seen a video which says that many current leaders belong to it,but they do not really show proof,just some assumptions.
    And some signs that may mean a person belongs to freemasons.

I have been hearing about it, a lot in the past year or so.I had never heard of it before.
    Uber Member

Sep 26, 2007, 05:40 AM
    Wait until Scott logs on, I believe he knows more than I about this. At least he's willing to type more (I'm more of a short ansewr guy here, between tasks at work). :D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 26, 2007, 06:04 AM
    It is all for those things, a social group, a club and based on some religion.
    It is based of course to be secret as for as what members do, but in general today they do many good works, charity things, my best friend was one, and I laught about the secret part, he has a license plate that says he is a member, he has a ring that says he is a member and a couple of bumper stickers, Their building has a giant sign, to be so secret, everyone knows who the members are normally.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 26, 2007, 06:13 AM
    The free masons are a charitable organization and social club. They originated from the free masons guilds of the middle ages who were among the first true craftsman. Because the techniques they used were kept secret to preserve the need to hire them to do any sort of building, they became a sort of secret society. And people fear what is kept secret.

The mason exist today and many famous and illustrious people have been masons. Their basic purpose today is to do charitable work. Masons often contribute to local charities and run fund raisers. They also run many social events in conjunction with raising funds.

There are others threads here where this discussion has already gone on.

But again, because they maintain a level of secrecy about their meetings, this has fostered some conspiracy theories. They are bunk though.
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    The free masons are a charitable organization and social club. They originated from the free masons guilds of the middle ages who were among the first true craftsman. Because the techniques they used were kept secret to preserve the need to hire them to do any sort of building, they became a sort of secret society. And people fear what is kept secret.

The mason exist today and many famous and illustrious people have been masons. Their basic purpose today is to do charitable work. Masons often contribute to local charities and run fund raisers. They also run many social events in conjunction with raising funds.

There are others threads here where this discussion has already gone on.

But again, because they maintain a level of secrecy about their meetings, this has fostered some conspiracy theories. They are bunk though.
    Thanks,
    So there is really no reason to fear them?

And which other threads?

Thanks again

Sep 26, 2007, 06:25 AM
    No there is no reason to fear them. Just use the search feature and search on Masons,
    spop Posts: 34, Reputation: 2

Oct 23, 2007, 07:09 PM
    I heard that The Freemasons are the oldest Christian fraternal organization in the world. They have members from all different races. They do charity work and community service. They have big conventions every year. They do not allow devil worshipers to join. They also march in parades. You have to know one of them to join. It seems like a nice group to join, but I don't know. Guess we got to Google it.

Oct 23, 2007, 07:27 PM
    Except for the fact that they are not a strictly christian organization you are pretty much correct.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 07:30 PM
    From my understanding, there are black masons and white masons they do not mix.

Oct 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    From my understanding, there are black masons and white masons they do not mix.
    You understand incorrectly.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2007, 07:47 PM
    Prince Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I was always under the impression that the black people joined this lodge of the Masons. In my town we have several lodges and I don't believe any people of color belong. But I am going to find out if they will tell me. I know a few Masons. Just like the police officers in the town have a different FOp that the black officers join. I'm not sure why, I don't know if it is like this everywhere.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 23, 2007, 08:01 PM
    Lets see, they can be traced back to the Knights Templar who fought in the crusades, gathered great wealth and power, were feared by Kings and the Pope who had them rounded up and executed. But that was a few years back. The group has gone through many significant changes but many people believe that they still have great power. Great power= fear. Read Curlyben's info

Oct 24, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Prince Hall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I was always under the impression that the black people joined this lodge of the Masons. In my town we have several lodges and I don't believe any people of color belong. But I am going to find out if they will tell me. I know a few Masons. Just like the police officers in the town have a different FOp that the black officers join. I'm not sure why, I don't know if it is like this everywhere.
    Most people prefer to socialize with people they have things in common with. Blacks and masons are no different. If a town has a masonic lodge that is all or mostly black then other blacks may opt for that lodge instead of another that is more racially diverse. But there is NO discrimination in masonic lodges on the basis of race or religion. Through my daughter I have participated in several lodges and have seen no evidence of any racial discrimination. If a lodge tends towards one race or another is a matter of preference on the part of people wanting to be members, not a decision of the lodge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search