Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jennivilla1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 07:19 AM
    Did I steal from the company?
    I work for a small roofing company. We have a roof repair department, recently one of my co workers got fired. Because he stole a customer from the company. Now the owner of the compnay is suiting him. My sister asked me if I new someone that would to the job for her for less, and I ask my co worker if he could give me a estimate, and he did. But never did the work. I want to know if I should tell the owner of the company. Before he finds out on his own. And how should I tell him? I'm not able to sleep at night because I'm scared that I might lose my job.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 07:29 AM
    The big question is, the gentleman who actually gave you an estimate, does his boss know that he is moonlighting? Will by you going to the boss, and coming clean on your favor to a friend, get this other guy in trouble? I would certainly bet that your boss would get more upset with HIM, than with you.

This is a tough spot to be in. I would talk it over with the other guy first, before I did anything.
    jennivilla1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2009, 07:39 AM

Yes I think the RR guy was moonlighting and mu boss knows that. But we are not allow to talk to him. And I'm scared that he will tell my boss something and then I get in trouble.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Nov 18, 2009, 07:59 AM
    I think it would be best that he hear it from you, instead of the other guy. This was your friend that you were trying to help with a little savings. It wasn't like you cut someone off at the door and told them to go talk to the RR guy. You had nothing to gain in trying to be a good friend. You were not to profit off this transaction, so tell him that you made a mistake in judgement.

I personally don't think that you "stole from the company", the profit from the potential job was not something that the company owned yet.

If your boss doesn't appreciate your honesty, then maybe he's not worth working for. I don't quite understand who you are not "allowed" to speak to.

You'll continue to wonder what will happen until you tell him the truth.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck to you.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 25, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Your co-worker was already fired for moonlighting, according to your original question. If that's the same co-worker you asked to give you an estimate, then you are in the clear. He no longer works for the company, and you have the right to get estimates from anyone you choose.

I'm guessing that the "stealing customers" issue meant that he was actually using his on-the-job access to customer calls and contact information to round up side jobs for himself. That's quite different from simply moonlighting, which means working an additional job outside of your regular employment. If that's the case, while you might want to help him by throwing work his way, I would be leery of anyone who would stoop to an underhanded method of making money. Many companies have their employees sign forms promising not to do that, and some even require that employees sign that they will not open a competing business within a certain distance from their current employer's range. If an employee signs those forms or agrees not to undermine the business by stealing names and contacts and then does so, he is not behaving in a very ethical way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 11 yr old son lies cheats & steal. [ 7 Answers ]

My 11 yr old son lies cheats & steal. I don't understand why though we provide him with best since childhood, He can't control his facination for things.

Backstabbing sister trying to steal my man [ 9 Answers ]

My sister always goes after the guys I am into or with, and now I am in love with this guy and she keeps throwing herself at him. They are friends and I'm afraid I'm going to loose him to her, not only that, I feel like I should never compete with my sister, that's family. What should I do?

Steal head from the stairs to add flour space above [ 7 Answers ]

I'm renovating my third floor. I wanted to add floor space by closing in some the opening for the staircase coming into the room. The floor joist surrounding the stairs are 2x8 they run the full 15 feet of the house and go into the brick on the North and South exterior wall. To fill in some of...

Bother manipulating 90 year old mom to steal everyone's inheritance. [ 2 Answers ]

I am the youngest of eight kids. My parents made up their wills in 1999 after my father discovered he had cancer. He passed on in 2004. Their wills were written to put the home into a special needs trust for my mentally challenged brother so he could live there the rest of his life. My...

Theft Under $5k, but didn't steal anything? [ 7 Answers ]

This is going to sound rediculas but it's a real issue and I need some real help. I am currently unemployed and a bit down on my luck (which is NO excuse) but I went into a Costco with the intent to steal. I removed some items from their packages within the store, but at the end I just...

View more questions Search