Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SJ104 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2011, 09:43 PM
    Pressure under 50m of water?
    I'm playing with MEMS pressure sensors which detect air pressure. If I put the mems sensor in a water proof container and put it 50meters under water what 'pressure' will the sensor see (preferably in millibars)? Does it depend on the container? I mean, if the container is plastic won't the sensor have air pressure exerted on it? If the container is steel would the pressure be less? If the container is filled with water then I suppose the pressure would equal the mass of 50m of water.. Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
    If you seal the container at normal atmospheric pressure into a rigid container, then the air pressure remains at 1 atmosphere (which equals 1 bar, or 1000 millibars) regardless of how deep in the water you put the container. Think of a submarine - the air presssure inside remains relatively constant as the submarine dives. Otherwise the sailors would experience the "bends" when the submarine comes to the surface.

But if the container is flexible (like a balloon) or not completely sealed so that water can enter, then the pressure is proportional to the depth of the sensor in the water. For every 10.2 meters below the surface you get an additional 1 atmosphere of pressure. The formula for total pressure (due to atmosphere + water) is:

P (bars) = 1 + (0.0981)h

where h = depth in water of the sensor measured in meters. So at 50 meters the expected pressure is 1+ 0.981 x 50 = 5.9 bars = 5900 millibars.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2011, 04:56 PM
    I was in the canal 1 time with an empty glass, turned it upside down, dove down , and the air compressed to about half the volume, then filled back up with air at depth, and as I slowly surfaced, bubbles would pour out the side. Its basic, but interesting to see, once.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low hot water pressure on a kitchen sink, good cold water pressure [ 4 Answers ]

I have a single faucet sink where the cold water pressure is fine and all other sinks have good hot and cold water pressure. I replaced the kitchen faucet two years ago along with new lines. As of late I'm getting very little hot water pressure along with having to run the water for about 10...

Low water pressure-copper pipe-city pressure has been checked-pressure low at any fix [ 20 Answers ]

Low water pressure copper pipe low at all fixtures and faucets. City has checked pressure. They installed new shutoff in streetalso. They checked meter and was OK. I am orignal owner feed from street is 3/4".copper house also. House built in 1972. Problem started 6 months ago. I am at whits...

Hot water pressure down in spite of strong cold water pressure. [ 0 Answers ]

I have already cleaned the Megaflo cold water valve unit. The Megaflo Heatrae Sadia is only 3/5 years old. What should I do?

New Water Heater~ now no water pressure, pressure tank won't stay on... [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Yesterday, we had our hot water heater replaced as it was 18 years old. The utility company sent their plumbing contractor to take the old one our and put in the new one. Before they arrived our water was perfectly fine. After they left, we had no water. Basically told my wife, sorry we...

Does the pressure from the hot water tank effect the pressure of the cold water? [ 2 Answers ]

We have very low water pressure at our kitchen sink from both the cold and hot water faucets, but no problem with the water pressure to the bathroom or washer. The cold water tank is closest to the kitchen and the hot water heater is near the bathroom and washer. Someone told my roommate that there...

View more questions Search