Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 17, 2006, 11:10 PM
    I would assume you are on the right track with your inquiry into barometric pressure. I would believe it to be a combination of the dolls age, barometric pressure and temperature fluctuations.
    Given that the face appears to be made of some sort of vinyl or plastic material, if it is of any real relative age, it is probably undergoing a good bit of largely unnoticed chemical decomposition. Much of the air in the head has likely been largely replaced by the off-gassing of the sythetic materials used.
    The volume of a gas is generally far more reactive to changes in temperature than that of both solids and liquids. Temperature change is probably instigating a change in density, creating something of a vacuum, assuming that the head is relatively air-tight. These temperature changes may also be slightly altering atmsopheric pressure outside the doll; coupled with the aforementioned effect, exerting enough pressure to cause the head of the doll to conform roughly to the increased density of the gaseous mass within, rather than the gas more typically exerting pressure on the shape of the doll's head.
    Just a theory. I do believe in the paranormal or metaphysical as well, attempting to maintain a strong balance between the two. Personally, I'll buy either hypothesis. :)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Well I guess I have a bit of an update for you guys... nothing from the medium, but it's still interesting and a bit spooky. I decided a few days ago that I didn't want the doll around at all, so I gave it a friend of mine to keep for a while. Sooo, not sure if it's just nerves or whatever, but she and her boyfriend swear it has fallen off the shelf where they're keeping it several times on its own. The face has also sunken in, as usual. My friend's boyfriend now wants to play amateur ghost hunter and set up a camera in the room to see what happens. :eek: Honestly I hope nothing is recorded, because that would freak me out even more!

Anyway, thus the saga continues... ;)
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jul 18, 2006, 11:32 AM
    My guess is that the elastic properties of the head have changed over the years (through boys pushing the face in, or sunshine or whatever) and now the dolls head's natural position is with the face in, a bit like a spring, when you push it back out it is only temporary and gradually it moves back in. Can you hear a hissing noise if you squeeze the head, that'l tell you if it's airtight and therefore caused by trapped gas :)

As for falling off the shelf - definitely ghosts:D (not)
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jul 18, 2006, 01:30 PM
    Has anyone ever seen the horror movie "Dolls"... :)
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Aug 14, 2006, 01:53 PM
    I've been following along with this story-and it just stops! Orange, did your friends boyfriend record anything? Any new news? Your story fascinates me!
    avaadore70 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Maybe your mom is just trying to talk to you through her doll - after all, you do have three children & she wasn't able to have any more. Maybe she's jealous of you the way you were jealous of the doll when you were little? Or perhaps, since the doll is one of the only things of hers that you have, this is just her way of letting you know that she's around and is watching over you & your children - maybe treating them like the children she never had. :confused:
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 10:14 AM
    Thanks everyone, I appreciate your patience! Things have been pretty hectic around here, so I haven't had much time to be on the site and update you all.

My friend's boyfriend did film the doll, and the video shows the head popping in by itself, and the doll then falling down from the shelf. It doesn't show any other phenomena, like orbs or spectres or whatever. It's possible that the popping head causes the doll to fall off, so it still could be totally a physical phenomena.

However, the medium I mentioned earlier did go to examine the doll at my friend's place. We didn't tell her anything about it, we didn't even mention that it was my mother's. After examining it she called me and wants to meet with me. She believes that there is a baby attached to the doll, possibly a baby my mother had which didn't survive. So, a sibling of mine I never knew I had. I then recalled that my mother had 2 miscarriages, and after the second one she bought the doll to "comfort" herself because she couldn't have anymore children. She treated the doll like a real baby. I was about 4 at the time.

If it's true that a baby brother or sister of mine is attached to the doll, the medium thinks that we need to "help" this baby find my mother, if that makes any sense. The medium didn't know that I just had a baby myself, but I told her afterwards, and she thinks my pregnancy is related to the spirit appearing. She also thinks my mother is not at rest, although she's not specifically attached to the doll the way the baby spirit is. Anyway, I'm still not sure what I believe about all this, but I am willing to meet with the medium and help the baby "cross over" or whatever, if that's what needs to happen for this to stop.

We haven't met yet, and I'm not sure when we will, as recent family events have been really upsetting for me and my family, and we are dealing with that right now. I'm not sure we can handle anything more at this time. But I do want to get it resolved in the next few weeks or so if it's possible.

Anyway hope this update is somewhat satisfying to everyone who's following this thread. I'll come back here again when I have more to add.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 11:00 AM
    OK, that's it, You have completely freaked me out this time! There are only two things that freak me out: evil clowns and baby spirits. I am going to the nearest Chatholic church right now and get some counseling. Thanks Orange!

Aug 18, 2006, 11:48 AM
    Yea, that doll gives me the heebie jeebies. What is strangely familiar about this whole story, Orange, is that my mother passed away when I was 12 years old, and she actually collected dolls of all types, including some rather creepy looking ones. My grandma just the other day asked me after all of this time, if I would like to have the collection now, and although part of me wants to scream, "NO WAY, those dolls have always given me the creeps!" I will probably take the gift graciously. I love my mother, and there are few things I have to remind me of her, but just in case, I think I will store them in a safe place :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 11:52 AM
    If you were really creeped out Cgirl, you could always donate the dolls to a doll museum, and request a plaque dedicated in your mother's honour to accompany them. I am considering this for my mother's doll, as even if we resolve this issue, I'm not sure I want it back in my home.

Aug 18, 2006, 12:04 PM
    That is a very good idea, Chava! Thank you for suggesting that. Yea, I am not sure what I will do yet, but my husband doesn't like dolls either... they give him the creeps (he won't even let me keep my ragedy ann doll in plain sight!) Him and I are just a couple of scaredy cats :)
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Holy Cow that IS creepy! I started getting goose bumps just reading it! And then saw the picture and really got freaked out! There is a saying that goes, " if you think it is, then it is." I say, if its going to cost you money to find out, don't waste it, just believe that it is. If its not going to hurt you, let it be. How creepy, especially because of the correlation of it starting and you being pregnant!
    NightAlone Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2006, 05:28 PM
    Wow. I'm 15. I just read all six pages of those posts. That story is amazing...

How are you going to go about "putting the baby's spirit at rest"?

I say you duct tape that medium to a bed, and sit on her face until she admits she's not a medium. Unless she really is. Then appologise and graciously give her coat to her and show her the way out (from embarrassment of course).
    JDW1889 Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Maybe you should try to put a cross around it and see if it still happens. If it does it shouldn't be anything spiritual cause a cross should repel the spirit.
    JDW1889 Posts: 66, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Comment on orange's post
    Weird that your mom would never tell you about your dead brother or siste. I could see how the baby may be attached to the doll
    shoegal Posts: 263, Reputation: 18

Sep 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
    Hey orange, anything new with that doll? Strange, it's been almost a year since everyone was talking about it!
    MayMsredrose Posts: 189, Reputation: 13

Sep 8, 2007, 02:33 AM
    Dear Orange,

I read your post... GET RID OF THIS DOLL Immediately... most of the evil entities they haunt dolls... when you plan to get rid of it do not mention that in the house do it all of a sudden and get someone to help you... better if you burn it... Be careful while doing it..

Take care of yourself...

Ms. Redrose

Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Not sure if this is paranormal or not, but it sure is weird... I have an old doll that belonged to my biological mother, who is now deceased. I've never particularly liked it, but I keep because it's one of the only things I have of her. Anyways, a couple of times a month, the doll's head, which is vinyl, will pop in, as if someone has punched it or stepped on it. However, it does this by itself. I keep it locked up in a cupboard, and I will hear a loud pop sound, open the cupboard, and then sure enough, the doll's head is bashed in. I always just fix it and put it back in the cupboard. It last happened a week ago. I'm including a scan of the doll's face, before I fixed it again.

So what does everyone think? Do old dolls just do this? I was wondering if maybe it had something to do with humidity or barometric pressure. Even if there is an explanation for it, it's kinda creepy...
    wonderingspirit Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2012, 11:21 PM
    You say this was your mother's doll?
    Hmmm do you know who got it for her or if she was close to this doll because sometimes an occurrence like this can happen if there is bad memories surrounding an object.
    For example: a young girl is raped by her uncle who buys her a doll after and this doll always brings back memories but she loves the doll it's self. Many many many years later the girl dies of... natural causes and the dolls face begins to implode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Weird [ 6 Answers ]

I just took a look at my number of posts and I realize I have only 59 what's even weirder is that it says I have 71 in the last 90 days. Now I have been here from November 2005, and I have only 59 posts which is correct but in the last 90 days I have posted 71 times. Which I understand they don't...

How is this for weird... [ 1 Answers ]

may dad passed away last yr feb... had dream about waking up looking at alarm clock and saw the time my dad was telling me I'd be late for school... guess what... the daily #'s came out and MATCHED the time on clock!! and I never played them!! weird... happened 2x's so far.. thought they were...

Something weird [ 5 Answers ]

For a while now, every once in a while, while I'm walking, I'll feel kind of weird. My vision gets blurry and a bit flashy, and I have trouble keeping my balance. This usually lasts about 5 seconds or so and only happens about once every 3 weeks. Today, the same thing happened, but this time it...

Very weird one Please help! [ 2 Answers ]

I know this is going to sound weird but I am not kidding when I say that my monitor is causing my sound not to work. When I try to increase the volume I can visuall even see the volume going right back down all the way on its own. I have tested everything with different parts and everything works...

View more questions Search