Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waleed055 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2012, 12:11 PM
    '97 Mercury Grand Marquis does not shift to 1st gear
    Hi,

I have a '97 Modal Grand Marquis, and its transmission is having problems . When I shift into 'Drive' the first gear is not chosen and the 2nd starts working. 'Reverse' is working fine, and there are no problems shifting, but whenever I brake my car, it starts to vibrate. When I shift the gear into D1 it strugles in moving. I have not changed the oil yet.

In real bad situation

Nothing I've tried so far works, but I checked the gear oil, and it is full and is a brownish colour. All other gears work fine
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Drop and clean the pan and magnet, replace the filter, and refill with Mercon V ATF. Ford's transmission pan gaskets are reuseable and awesome. Do this ASAP. Better yet, follow the procedure below:

How-to Easily Change All Transmission Fluid and Filter

Example: Total Fill (13 quarts) - Initial Fill (7 quarts) = Balance (6 quarts)

1. Disconnect transmission return cooler line, at the radiator. Look for a 6 inch length of 5/16” I.D. neoprene hose, connecting the radiator (transmission cooler) to the transmission's metal return line. Place end of hose into an empty gallon jug.

2. Start engine and pump transmission fluid into jug, until you can hear it “slurp” in the transmission pan—the pan should now be empty. Turn engine off.

3. Drop and clean pan with brake cleaner. Remove and clean magnet, being sure to reinstall it in the same location. Cleaning the magnet is more important than you might think, since it helps prevent metal particles from coating electro magnets in the transmission, which can affect performance. If you find what appears to be a child's toy top, discard it. It's a filler tube plug used to keep contamination out of the transmission during assembly. When the dip stick is inserted, at the factory, the plug is dislodged and remains on the bottom of the transmission pan. It is an indication the transmission fluid and filter have never been changed.

4. Remove and replace transmission filter, coating the O-ring with ATF. Ensure the filter is completely seated in the transmission body.

5. Replace pan. If gasket is the reusable type, reuse it.

6. Add Initial Fill of ATF through the filler tube (7 quarts).

7. Start engine and pump out half of Balance (3 quarts of ATF). Stop engine and add 3 more quarts of ATF.

8. Start engine and pump out the other half of Balance (3 quarts of ATF). Stop engine and add 3 quarts of ATF. The system should now have the Total Fill of ATF (13 quarts).

9. Replace dip stick, start engine, and, with the car level, move the gear selector through each gear (PRNDL), pausing 5 seconds in each gear. Warm car up to normal operating temperature, place car in (P)ark on a level surface, and check the dip stick with the engine running. Ensure fluid comes to the top of the “Full” line.

I've used this procedure on other Mercury Grand Marquis and it works really well.

Feb 2, 2012, 12:21 PM
    Hi Nothing else would be the problem right ?

Feb 2, 2012, 12:25 PM
    And the problem may finish right
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 12:26 PM
    I can't say that for sure. This is about all you can do, however, without taking it to the dealer. There's a 50/50 shot that this may be all that is needed.
    topher Posts: 65, Reputation: 3

Feb 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
    Does it have a 5.0. I had a 92 Lincoln Mark VII with a 5.0 H.O. with an automatic and there is a bushing on the throttle body that is connected to the a kick down cable in the transmission. I think that was a recall item a while ago you may want to check that to.

Feb 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
    No other component may have been damaged rigth and may help to regain my cars torque and performance

Feb 2, 2012, 12:32 PM
    Aa topher it has a 4.6 liter v8 and there is no troble in the transmission to shift gear and TxGreaseMonkey fingers crossed brother hope the solution you gave me may resolve the problem I am having
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Obviously, no one can guarantee that more serious damage hasn't taken place, especially since the fluid has turned brown. My experience has been that Ford transmissions, however, are very tough. That's especially true on Ford trucks, full size Mercurys, and crown Vics.

Feb 2, 2012, 12:40 PM
    Right TxGreaseMonkey there no problem in others gears to produce torque and they are running good and this would be my first encounter with this tipe of situation and my car has been runned 129000 miles ?
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 12:44 PM
    Hopefully, this will solve your problem.

Feb 2, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Thanks TxGreaseMonkey for suggesting me the solution hope it may solve my cars shifting problem a one more question brother can me you tell me what sholus be the factroy date to change the transmission oil,spark plugs,spark plug wirring and fuel filter and some high performance sparks plugs are added may it help in producing more pover and would it damage my engine ? I wanted some one to answer these questions of mine
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 01:01 PM
    My advice is to only use the same Motorcraft platinum spark plugs that originally came in the car. Change them every 50,000 miles, instead of the recommended 100,000 miles.

Transmission fluid and filter should be changed every 30,000 miles.

Fuel filter should be changed every 30,000 miles.

Engine oil and filter should be changed every 5,000 miles. I recommend full synthetic engine oil; e.g. Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum. With synthetics, change the oil and filter every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first.

Coolant should be changed every 30,000 miles. Use a 50/50 mixture of the recommended antifreeze and distilled water.

Completely change the brake fluid every 2 to 3 years.

Change air filter every 30,000 miles.

Change power steering fluid every 50,000 miles (Mercon ATF).

Change PCV Valve every 100,000 miles.

Feb 2, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Thanks TxGreaseMonkey for suggesting me the exact timing of these important changes What should be the minmum of all these changes brother ? Sorry for me asking some silly questions :(
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 01:10 PM
    I'm not sure what you mean by minimum of all these changes.

Feb 2, 2012, 01:13 PM
    Is this the maximum limit of al this changes or there is some other limites for some weak engines just in general
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2012, 01:22 PM
    Basically, these are Ford recommended intervals for vehicles. If you use conventional engine oil, I would change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

Feb 2, 2012, 01:26 PM
    Ok thanks a lot again for the help really thankful to you brother :) Now I am relifed

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mercury Grand Marquis won't reverse [ 1 Answers ]

My car drives just fine. However, it will not reverse. The grears slip, they won't catch for reverse or park. My machanic says it's some box in the steering coloum, but I want to be sure. What do you think and how much is it

2000 mercury grand marquis [ 1 Answers ]

My interior light s will not shut off on a 2000 merc. Grand marquis any ideas?

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis [ 1 Answers ]

Where is the crank sensor lacated on a 92 Grand Marquis with a 4.6 liter engine?

93 Mercury Grand Marquis that Won't Come out of Park and go into gear [ 1 Answers ]

I have 93 Mercury Grand Marquis, it seems to be stuck in Park, it starts and runs just fine, wheel turns and everything, it just won't come out of park and go into gear? :(

View more questions Search