Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woomanfoo Posts: 32, Reputation: 7

Aug 6, 2006, 03:30 PM
    The New "Gay People"
    Maybe this was already discussed, but I wasn't about to go through those pages to find out. Why do so many people think that being gay is a choice? The way I see it... I like dogs. I will always like dogs. I can't, even for one day, CHOOSE to like cats better, because I know that I like dogs. Besides that analogy, there is some evidence that gay men are born gay. The straight male pituitary gland tends to be significantly larger than the gay male pituitary gland. There is no correlation with gay/straight females, though. And what about the people who don't WANT to be gay. My father is a perfect example. He is a very miserable man. He is married to a woman that he is not in love with after divorcing my mother due to being gay (he's also a Christian, which I find ironic).

I'm going to side step here and ask about religion. How do you know? I'm agnostic and I just have a hard time believing something for the SOLE reason that a man (or woman) with a book told me so. I'm not trying to just take a jab... I really want to know where the faith comes from. I know it sounds random, but a lot of people in the first "Gay People" post were making biblical referances and I was wondering, how do you KNOW that God forbids it? If it were proven that homosexuality was NOT a choice, would that suddenly make it unsinful? Would God suddenly NOT damn a gay man/woman? How do you explain the physical evidence behind gays that would suggest that God had something to do with homosexuality?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 6, 2006, 04:38 PM
    Welcome to AMHD and with all due respects, maybe a lot of what you are asking has already been pretty thoroughly hashed out on that thread you aren't too keen on reading all the way through? So I wouldn't be too surprised if there was viewing without a lot of posting here. Just a thought? And again, welcome to... well, here!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2006, 04:48 PM
    I agree with Val. You should look at the original thread. There are pages and pages of arguments on the religious aspects, gay marriage / civil ceremonies, having children, and choice vs. genetics.

For what it's worth though, I agree with you. Being gay is not a choice. I believe it's genetic, and definitely not a sin. Gay marriage was recently legalized here in Canada, and I'm proud of our country for being so forward-thinking.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
    That has been a discussion brought up many times, and hashed out many times. You may see a bunch of people viewing this thread but it is up to them whether they want to respond to it or not. Instead of expecting an answer, why not go back to other threads and you will find out where everybody stands on this issue and maybe you can continue the discussion on another thread.

Joe
    ejsilver Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2006, 02:08 PM
    I agree with you; since I'm new on this site, how do I get to the original thread?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Okay you click on the button the says subjects. Go all the way down. You will see Forum. Click on members discussions. Then it will bring you to a whole bunch of discussions that has happened and you can read through all of them there.

Joe
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Sep 14, 2006, 08:59 PM
    In some cases it might be genetic while in other cases it might be a consequence of socialization. The ancient Greeks are a good example,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosex...ancient_Greece
    mysticque Posts: 95, Reputation: -7
    -

Sep 15, 2006, 06:09 AM
    As far as I remember biology and science even stated itself that it has nothing to do with genetic. If that is my memory is correct. The x and y chromosomes plays a lot of important factors during cleavage/human reproduction. Here's some helpful links http://www.kanglaonline.com/index.ph...=kshow&kid=672 for those of you that doesn't know about sexuality.
    Krs Posts: 2,906, Reputation: 320
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2006, 06:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticque
    As far as I remember biology and science even stated itself that it has nothign to do with genetic. If that is my memory is correct. the x and y chromosomes plays a lot of important factors during cleavage/human reproduction. here's some helpful links http://www.kanglaonline.com/index.ph...=kshow&kid=672 for those of you that doesn't know about sexuality.
    Ye, I heard that too.
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 15, 2006, 11:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticque
    As far as I remember biology and science even stated itself that it has nothign to do with genetic. If that is my memory is correct. the x and y chromosomes plays a lot of important factors during cleavage/human reproduction. here's some helpful links http://www.kanglaonline.com/index.ph...=kshow&kid=672 for those of you that doesn't know about sexuality.
    Biology and science have taken new looks at old questions and are at the moment undecided. However, it seems likely that there is some physiological basis for it and the idea that it is bloody minded rebellion and nothing more might haver to be abandoned. Best wait until more is known.

M:)RGANITE

Sep 15, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    I agree with Val. You should look at the original thread. There are pages and pages of arguments on the religious aspects, gay marriage / civil ceremonies, having children, and choice vs. genetics.

For what it's worth though, I agree with you. Being gay is not a choice. I believe it's genetic, and definitely not a sin. Gay marriage was recently legalized here in Canada, and I'm proud of our country for being so forward-thinking.

That does not preclude further discussion. If it did, there would be few subjects (if any) open to discussion.

M:) - Keep tl;asking - Nobody knows everything!
    juanv225 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2006, 01:31 AM
    I would also like to add that I myself am gay and I grew up in a very christian (southern baptist) family. I dealt with being gay very harshly and almost committed suicide several times.

First of all, I don't believe that any god, which I do believe in a higher power, would allow anyone to be "harmed" if we are all his creations. Also, he would be the one that invented "gay" and allows it to continue, otherwise it wouldn't even exist at the snap of a finger or "wave of a wand" if you will.

Secondly, I don't know if there will ever be an answer to the "choice" question. I could sleep with women, have a relationship, marry... have children. But why would I want to be that unhappy? Would God want me to be unhappy? I believe we're put here to learn and explore and to be happy.

Third, anyone that is gay you should be nice to if they are being nice to you, because everyday is a struggle for them and there are lots of gay kids out there that fight with their parents, family, and religion over these issues. Would you want someone to be so unhappy they kill themselves because you've pushed the fear into them that "God will getcha!"

Fourth, and finally - sorry for the long post - I have honestly became more and more aware that I don't believe in "the devil". I was always told Good had to exist and Evil had to exist. Well, supposedly the devil was once an angel himself, so he couldn't have been so bad, however, he did supposedly do a horrible deed and was banned from heaven for eternity. In the end, he was still a "good angel" at some point, not the horned, red, fire breathing evil-wrath bringing "angel".
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 22, 2006, 06:06 AM
    The movie C.R.A.Z.Y. (filmed in Quebec) is a powerful exploration of growing up confused about one's sexual identity in a religious family.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 23, 2006, 07:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    The movie C.R.A.Z.Y. (filmed in Quebec) is a powerful exploration of growing up confused about one's sexual identity in a religious family.

I consider that kind of film propaganda.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Aren't all movies Starman?

BTW
    There is no BTW. :D

Oct 23, 2006, 04:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Everything is propaganda - except what I write. That is simon pure truth free from any kind of bias or prejudice.
    31pumpkin Posts: 379, Reputation: 50
    -

Oct 31, 2006, 03:22 PM
    I LOVE YOU ELTON JOHN!!

Thanks for the music... forever!! I can even play a few tunes(always did)

LITTLE JEANNIE
    FUNERAL FOR A FRIEND (Idisturbed the peace with that one)
    DANIEL
    ROCKET MAN

LOVE IT>>>LOVE IT>>>LOVE IT!! AWESOME FOREVER!

YOU make the difference for loving the sinner, hating the sin.

DID I SAY YOU WERE ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVORITES?

GOD BLESS. :) :) :)
    motherof3 Posts: 51, Reputation: 6

Aug 17, 2007, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by juanv225
    I would also like to add that I myself am gay and I grew up in a very christian (southern baptist) family. I dealt with being gay very harshly and almost committed suicide several times.

First of all, I don't believe that any god, which I do believe in a higher power, would allow anyone to be "harmed" if we are all his creations. Also, he would be the one that invented "gay" and allows it to continue, otherwise it wouldn't even exist at the snap of a finger or "wave of a wand" if you will.

Secondly, I don't know if there will ever be an answer to the "choice" question. I could sleep with women, have a relationship, marry... have children. But why would I want to be that unhappy? Would God want me to be unhappy? I believe we're put here to learn and explore and to be happy.

Third, anyone that is gay you should be nice to if they are being nice to you, because everyday is a struggle for them and there are lots of gay kids out there that fight with their parents, family, and religion over these issues. Would you want someone to be so unhappy they kill themself because you've pushed the fear into them that "God will getcha!"

Fourth, and finally - sorry for the long post - I have honestly became more and more aware that I don't believe in "the devil". I was always told Good had to exist and Evil had to exist. Well, supposedly the devil was once an angel himself, so he couldn't have been so bad, however, he did supposedly do a horrible deed and was banned from heaven for eternity. In the end, he was still a "good angel" at some point, not the horned, red, fire breathing evil-wrath bringing "angel".
    Well said

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"Little People" [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, Since Democrats are always coming across as being for the "little people", such as myself, I thought the following was interesting: SOCIAL SECURITY: Franklin Roosevelt, a Democrat, introduced the Social Security (FICA) Program. He promised: 1.) That participation in the Program would...

View more questions Search