Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    candy23 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2006, 02:01 PM
    Piercing the belly button
    HEY ALL
    Well i am new here and i wanted to know can i peirce my belly button myself??
    If so how?? And is it kinda like peircing the ears
    Thank you very much
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 5, 2006, 04:11 AM
    Hi Candy23,
    I personally, would highly recommend against. It is a great deal different than piercing your ears. Your ears are primarily cartilage. Piercing your navel would involve primarily adipose tissue (fat) which is much more susceptible to infection. There are the additional risks of many small blood vessels, and fascia -- the layer of connective tissue directly underlying the skin.
    It is nearly impossible to sterilize a needle without specialized equipment. Neither bleach, alcohol, nor boiling is guaranteed to kill all pathogens. If certain germs such as rarer forms of Strep were to enter the wound, they could cause a necrotizing infection that could rapidly spread through the fascial layer. Bacteria entering the blood stream could, in some rarer cases, lead to septicemia (blood poisoning). Though arguably not high, these are nonetheless, potential risks.
    It would be much safer to have it done at a reputable studio. Though I would insist on one that uses new needles for every procedure, as tattoo studios can harbor certain health risks of their own.
    Please be safe and have a professional do it. Take care. :)
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2006, 11:35 AM
    Great answer, Thomas! Could not give you anymore rep, sorry!

Candy, I have a navel piercing, and I went to a professional to have it done and STILL got an infection. Not to mention, it was very painful! The navel is one of the most sensitive areas to pierce, much more sensitive than your ears. Different friends of mine who have multiple piercings have said it's even worse than piercing your tongue or lip. So please listen to Thomas' great advice and go to a certified, health-inspected piercing facility. You can contract Hepatitis C from piercing with shared or unsanitized piercing equipment, so make sure the place you go to is certified.
    cookie86 Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Aug 6, 2006, 02:34 PM
    When I had gotten my belly button peirced, it didn't hurt at all. May be bicuz I paid a lot of money from a professional. BUt when you do get it done, make sure you clean it at least 5 times a day or it will get infected and it will hurt like hell.

Aug 7, 2006, 09:50 AM
    HEY!!
    thank you for answering back and ive peirced my belly i went to a hospital and did it anyways i have a problem with it you see i did it yesterday and my friend told me to move the ring a little bit and i did then the ball that closes the ring it broked into two halfs one half fell and the other is still stuck to the bar of the ring i was wondering can i take the ring out and replace it with a new one or do i just leave it as it is, although it does hurt sometimes when i bend and if i leave it this way does the sikn gonna heal on it?? please tell ASAP thank you very much :(
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 09:59 AM
    Generally you're not supposed to remove the stud or ring until the piercing has healed, but I personally would replace it with a new sterilized ring, since it's kind of broken and may cause you some discomfort because of that. Or else just replace the back piece, if you can. Just make sure the new ring or piece is properly sterilized. If you're still in doubt, you could also try ringing up the hospital and asking for their advice. Did they give you any aftercare information?

Aug 7, 2006, 10:11 AM
    Yea they did they gave some pills that won't make it get infected and they told me to clean it with alcohol and some brown thingy its like alcohol and they told me to clean it more they 10 times a day, but I can replace the back of the ring right it won't do any harm or if I replace the whole ring it do anything right? Since I did it yesterday?
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Well if you are able, I think it's probably better to replace just the back part. If you remove the whole ring, it might be pretty painful to insert a new one, or you might insert in incorrectly. Like I said, you should maybe call the hopsital, just in case.

Aug 7, 2006, 10:25 AM
    I see thank you very much just one more thing you think that the back of the ring it's the same as all of the other back rings or there some are different? I know its silly to ask that lol but I want to make sure and thank you very much
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2006, 11:22 AM
    I think it's likely the same... if you have some other rings on you, just check to see if it looks the same. If not, I would be tempted to buy a new ring with a similar back.

Also, I didn't think of this before, but maybe there is some kind of a warranty or guarantee on the ring you got with the piercing. That might include the back. In which case, I would go back to the place where you had the piercing done, show them the broken piece, and hopefully they would replace it for you, free of charge.

Good luck!
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Aug 7, 2006, 07:18 PM
    Hi Candy23,
    Orange gave you excellent advice. The only thing I wanted to add -- I believe the brown liquid they gave you is Betadine. This will also help keep the wound from getting infected, so definitely be sure to use it, along with the alcohol. Sorry to hear about the ring. I hope you are able to fix it, or possibly get it replaced for free. Take care. :)

Aug 7, 2006, 11:34 PM
    Yea I just might change the back of the ring and thank you very much for answering
    belloaar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 05:27 AM
    I would recommend either letting some one else helping or go to a professional and get it done because you may do the hole wrong and runn you skin then you'd have to let it heal before you can get your naverl pierced.
    belloaar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 05:27 AM
    I would say no go to a professional
    sexiigurl93 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2006, 11:15 PM
    If you wur 2 pierce it yourself, how would you do it?
    notyangel Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by candy23
    HEY ALL
    Well i am new here and i wanted to know can i peirce my belly button myself??
    If so how?? And is it kinda like peircing the ears
    Thank you very much
    Don't do it yourself... my friend fainted while she was doing her piercing!
    dimmu44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 11:20 AM
    I did it myself- it hurt but a nose piercing hurt more, seeing as I have 25 piercings, the most painful was nipple, second was nose, and then the belly button-its not bad just don't do it crooked!
    dimmu44 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2009, 11:22 AM

Also its pretty simple- push the needle up from the inside of your belly button, not from the outside.
    briza22 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 04:01 AM
    Comment on candy23's post
    Oh no! The brown stuff is benadine! Be careful, using too much of that can hurt your belly percing!! Be careful! Use salt water boiled, just put salt in a cup of hot water & hold it on your belly for 5 minutes
    briza22 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2010, 04:02 AM
    Comment on candy23's post
    U can get bigger bars, once mine heals I needa bigger one :( because the top jewell is growing in the skin, but its OK now!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lots of questions about the belly button [ 10 Answers ]

Hey I know I've asked a lot but I'm scared of my belly button getting infected so is it OK if I covered my peirced belly button with a bandaid for like the whole healing prosses? And how long till it heals? And how do I know it healed? And some times I get stomach ache and I get sick is it because...

Left belly ring out too long [ 2 Answers ]

Listin I need help fast I took my elly button ring out because it got red and my mom wa sgetting mad and now I'm worried I can't put it back in because it hurts I've had it for 6 months now will it close up if I leave it out for 3 days Some one help

Belly button piercing and scars [ 8 Answers ]

OK I was wondering if id be able to get my belly button repierced under these conditions. OK first of all, I had it pierced before but it came out and closed. Now I have a dime sized lump of scar tissue wheere it was pierced. I also revently had gallbladder surgery and I have I tiney incision scar...

Tetrwith large belly and sac exiting its bottom [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neon tetra that has developed a large belly over the last few weeks. Now it has a large encapsulated sac exiting from the bottom of the fish. The infected fish is also staying close to the bottom of the tank. I have had these fish for several months now without any problems. Not sure what...

Beer belly :( [ 3 Answers ]

I weigh 185lbs and I have been working out for a month now (running and bicyling).. I have lost fat around the chest and weight is coming off my thighs.. However my belly is being stubborn... Fat is sticking to my stomach (specially around the belly button) and it makes it look like a spare tire!...

View more questions Search