Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2006, 12:02 PM
    Any Star Trek fans on here?
    Just curious to know if there are any Star Trek fans on here, or if you are close to anyone who's a major fan. I've never noticed much posted about Star Trek in the Television and Movies sections, so I was just wondering.

I would say I personally enjoy watching the shows, all except Enterprise, as I haven't seen enough of the episodes yet to make a judgment. However...

My husband is definitely a Trekkie! (and yes he wants to be called a Trekkie and not a Trekker lol). I have been to 22 Sci Fi conventions with him. He usually goes as a Klingon, and has a costume that cost in excess of $1000, as well as some other costumes. He has the fictional rank of Commander. He's been to Klingon language camp too, and has taught me a bit of Klingon lol. We are Jewish and so we don't celebrate Christmas, but we are getting a small tree this year because my husband wants to display all his Star Trek ornaments. He has a myriad of other collectibles and I'm sure would like to turn our home into a spaceship of some kind, but I won't let him. All his stuff is relegated to his den, which is really the Trek room IMO. He would definitely have qualified for one of the Trekkies movies.

I could go on and on but anyway lol just curious who else loves Star Trek. :)
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2006, 12:11 PM
    I was big into it as a teen. Knew every episode date, name, guests, director, etc... and went to 3 Star Trek Conventions... met McCoy, Nurse whatsername, and Sulu.

I've got the plans of the ship and several other collectible things in a box in the basement.

Before I sell them on eBay I'll be sure to post here to give you first crack at them :p
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Aug 5, 2006, 12:52 PM
    Star Trek was/is a big hit here in the UK.I remember Kirk,Spock,"Bones",et-el,from 1966!
    The Next Generation grew on me,Deep Space Nine was superb,and Voyager,was,frankly,appalling.Enterprise,with Scott Bakula was a "Trek" too far.Apart from that... I never saw it... :D
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Aug 5, 2006, 01:26 PM
    I really enjoy watching Star Trek: The Next Generation. The original series is good too. I have not been able to get into Deep Space Nine yet. For some reason, the few episodes I have seen make me feel as though the show has lost some maturity. I have not seen Voyager or Enterprise yet.

I do not, however, feel I am by any means zealous enough to be called a Trekkie.

I have only seen one of the movies but want to watch the others when I get a chance.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2006, 01:57 PM
    Thanks for the input, guys! Rick that is so cool that you met Sulu, Uhura and Nurse Chapel, haha. My husband has met Majel Barret Roddenberry, but not the other two. I've also met Majel, Brent Spiner (Data), John Delancie (Q), and Armin Shimmerman (Quark). Seen several others speaking at conventions, but never actually met them, although I did meet Barbara Adams of Trekkies fame. She was the fan in the Trekkies movies who, as a juror, wore her Starfleet uniform to the Whitewater Trial.

Nez I agree with your assessment of the various series... I loved Star Trek TOS as a little kid, but when The Next Generation first came out (I was a kid then too, 8 or 9 I believe), I didn't really appreciate it and found it boring. However when I was older it grew on me and I think it's my favorite of all the series now, although I still love the original, and I also love Deep Space Nine, esp. Quark and Odo. Voyager I've learned to like, but I'm not as keen on it as the other three. My husband only likes the episodes and series that have Klingons in them lol! ;)

Which movie have you seen Rudi? My favs for the movies are Wrath of Khan (II), Search for Spock (III), The Voyage Home (IV), and First Contact (VIII). The others featuring the original cast are so-so, Generations (VII) is pretty good for the TNG crew but not my favorite, and the other TNG movies, Insurrection and Nemesis are BLECH! (in my humble opinion ;))
    rudi_in Posts: 251, Reputation: 45

Aug 5, 2006, 02:09 PM
    I saw First Contact and I enjoyed it.

I really like the characters of Picard and Riker. I think they make a good combination.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Aug 5, 2006, 02:33 PM
    I am a Star Trek fan to the extent that I have seen, just about every episode of the original series several times; most episodes of The Next Generation; many of Deep Space 9; some of Voyager; and possibly none of Enterprise. Perhaps it was a case of Star Trek overload for me. I believe that one of the primary reasons for the staying power of the Star Trek franchise is that many of the episodes are "morality plays", in which people must choose between right and wrong. In other episodes they may be faced with a "dilemma"; meaning that they must chose between two courses of action, both of which are right. This causes a "thinking audience" to become more deeply involved. The stage of deep space, allows the producers to pursue moral questions without the limitations, of a western, crime show, or hospital format. This is just my humble opinion.
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2006, 07:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rudi_in
    I saw First Contact and I enjoyed it.

I really like the characters of Picard and Riker. I think they make a good combination.
    First Contact is one of the better movies of the series... some people might even say the best! And yes Picard and Riker have very good "chemistry". I like seeing them work together.

Quote Originally Posted by DrD
    I believe that one of the primary reasons for the staying power of the Star Trek franchise is that many of the episodes are "morality plays", in which people must choose between right and wrong. In other episodes they may be faced with a "dilemma"; meaning that they must chose between two courses of action, both of which are right. This causes a "thinking audience" to become more deeply involved. The stage of deep space, allows the producers to pursue moral questions without the limitations, of a western, crime show, or hospital format. This is just my humble opinion.
    I agree! Especially in the original show, Gene Rodenberry really was trying to convey messages about 1960s society that the TV censors would not have allowed... messages about the Vietnam war, racism, even hippies in one episode haha. I can't remember who, but someone once called Star Trek "space opera".

The morality play aspect is really great for me now that I have children, because I limit what they can watch on TV. But I do let them watch most of Star Trek, because it generally has a good message that they can learn from.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2006, 08:20 PM
    I am a Star Trek Fan Chava, I do not go to conventions but I have watched the different series religiously. I often find myself watching the Original Star Trek. Very much enjoyed it. My other favorite is The Next Generation. The voyager. Deep space nine, not so much. Enterprise, should have been given a longer stint. Some people might not like voyager because that was the first show with a women captain, I personally felt voyager was a lot better then DSN, and E. Anyway. Captain Picard is the favorite captain out of all. His Character was played very well.

Joe
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2006, 09:18 PM
    Picard is my favorite of the captains too, Joe. In fact, when I first started watching the Next Generation regularly (I was 11 or 12 at the time I think), I used to wish he was my father! Janeway was a great captain as well, I think she's my second favorite, although I don't like the whole Voyager series as much as the others.

I agree that Enterprise should have lasted longer... I was surprised that Paramount cancelled it, although I haven't seen it much and never became "hooked". Maybe Star Trek overload as DrD suggested. I do remember though, feeling disappointed when I found out that Enterprise was going to be a prequel, prior to the original crew. I usually dislike prequels.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2006, 04:10 AM
    I've been to some cons in the past. Of course I've seen every episode and movie.

The brother of an old g/f actually had a side biz running cons and was well known in the Star Trek world. He's the source of two funny stories I have. Another friend is the source of a third.

Story One:
    My friend was working as a helper at his college's registration. A student came up to him, asking for help filling out one of the forms. The student asked him, what should he use for one of the codes. My friend smiled (mostly to himself) and said; "use Code 2". The student paused, looked at him kind of funny and replied; "But the Romulans have broken Code2!" :D

Story Two:
    My old g/f's brother ran his business out of his father's heating co office where my old g/f worked managing the office. One day, she recevied a call asking for him. He wasn't there so she told the caller that and asked if she could take a message. The caller said, just tell him Lenny called and left a number.
    A little while later the brother came in and she gave him his messages. He went to return his calls. He came out a little while later and asked her if she who it was who called. She said, no and he replied that was Leonard Nimoy!

Story Three:
    This one's kind of macabre. The brother was getting of the subway one day. And as he got to the street there was a small crowd, including EMTs around a man collapsed on the sidewalk. Just as he got near the crowd, one EMT turned to the other and said; "He's dead, Jim!"
    Well the brother couldn't help himself and broke into laughter. :D Of course most of the crowd didn't get it and looked at him like he was crazy.

Scott<>
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 6, 2006, 06:16 AM
    During the week the wife and I watch the Next Generation reruns religiously, and the original series all day on Saturday. We have been trekkies since the original series in 1965. I love all the series though and when a series ends I cry. (choke) Star Trek and Dr. Who are really all I need along with sports. Love the movies too.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2006, 11:43 AM
    LOL Scott those are very funny stories! And actually I really like the one about the EMTs! I guess the crowd didn't watch much Star Trek. ;) Have you seen the Trekkies movies? Some fans consider them offensive, but I actually quite enjoyed both. There were some funny moments and good stories from cast members, too.

Talaniman, I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets emotional about Star Trek! I get sad too at the end of a series, and a lot of times I feel like crying at the end of certain episodes that have moved me. I cried at the end of First Contact too LOL. I saw it in the theatre with friends who were not especially Trek fans, and they thought I was nuts. :rolleyes:
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 6, 2006, 12:21 PM
    "Beam me up Scotty, there is no intelligent life on earth." Still love saying that.:)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2006, 01:08 PM
    LOL. Beam me up Scotty will always be said by so many future generations. I love hearing that. (;
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 6, 2006, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    LOL Scott those are very funny stories! And actually I really like the one about the EMTs! I guess the crowd didn't watch much Star Trek. ;) Have you seen the Trekkies movies? Some fans consider them offensive, but I actually quite enjoyed both. There were some funny moments and good stories from cast members, too.
    I saw the first Trekkie movie, but not the second. Trekkies can be proud to be the only time that fans every got the networks to reconsider cancelling a show.
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2006, 04:41 PM
    I love "Beam me up, Scotty" as well. :) Bit of trivia, however... do you guys realize that those exact words were never spoken in the show? Here's an excerpt from StarTrek.com:

"Beam me up, Scotty" is one of the most familiar expressions to enter the popular lexicon from the world of television (despite the fact that, word for word, that phrase was never spoken in the show).

It's kind of similar to the fact that the exact words "Play it again, Sam." were never spoken in Casablanca. Kind an "urban legend" of Star Trek. Just goes to show how pervasive the show has become in our culture!

And yes Scott I agree, Star Trek fans are amazing in their tenacity! I'm proud of everyone who protested the cancellation of the original show.
    dtvonfossen Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2006, 04:07 PM
    ME ME! I love Star Trek. I don't go to conventions or dress up but I have all the episodes of generations on tape and watch them day and night and I wish I could afford to buy all of voyagers tapes. I tried to get into Enterprise but it was hard. It just didn't have the same feel. I have 6 to 8 hour tapes of star trek and deep space nine that I go to sleep with every night. Lol my kids think I'n nuts!! MY older brother was just as bad. He died in June and his wife told me he had to have deep space nice on in the hospital. I guess its genetic.
    Debbie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Who are your favorite Actresses? [ 7 Answers ]

Who is /was your fav. Female movie star? Mine: Rachel Wies Hellen Hunt Phenelope cruze Camron dias Hether grahm Angelina Jolie

Star Trek: Starfleet Command Gold Edition Problems [ 8 Answers ]

I have downloaded this game, upgraded sound and video cards and drivers, have downgraded from WIN 2000 Professional to WIN ME, have downloaded December 2005 DirectX update, and this game will still crash when I try to run it. Before I downgraded from 2000 pro to ME, it would say; "DirectX init....

Star Wars [ 10 Answers ]

Does anybody know if George Lucas is secretly making another Star Wars movie? After I saw Episode III I went home and watched Episode IV, V, and VI. I read some article that said he may be writing a new one, but was just wandering if anyone else knew for sure.

Star Valve [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Guys! I have a new plumbing problem, I think :-/ I came home from the beach and was greeted by a notice on my door from the county water department. It read, "We were doing a random inspection of homes in the area and discovered your star valve was leaking". It went on to say, "Please...

View more questions Search