Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Your pet peeve.
    I'm sure at one time or another someone has started a thread about pet peeves. Heck, it could have been me, my mind is going, oooh, pet peeve number one, losing my mind.;)

Anyway, I'd like you all to tell me your pet peeves. For those of you for whom english is a second or third language, a pet peeve is something that gets on your nerves.

Mine?

- text talk.
    - people giving reddies to others because they don't like the answer.
    - people who post and change the color to yellow or fluorescent green. It makes it impossible to read. :(
    - people who don't pick up after their dogs. If I step into one more pile of *&%#, I'm going to get seriously mad! ;)
    - people who call you from a blocked number.
    - telephone solicitors who won't take, go to hell, for answer. Okay, they won't take no for an answer, but I seriously want to tell them where to go. ;)

There are more, but I can't think of them right now.

So, what are yours?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Two off the top of my head... but I do have worse ones

I hate when people type the wrong spelling consistently
    For example:
    Than/then
    There/their

I hate when people say (using starting point Pitts. Pa.)
    I am going down to New York
    I am going up to Georgia
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:44 PM
    People who tell me they'll call (not "I'll call you sometime" but... "I'll call you later tonight") and don't call.

People who are late... by a lot... with no apparent good reason.

People who don't answer simple questions with simple answers (i.e. - "Why do we need to go to the store?"... answers with, "Well, I woke up this morning...")
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 09:48 PM
    Sniffing.

Use a kleenex or a handkerchief, but stop swallowing your own snot where I can hear you.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:50 PM
    OOo...

When people can't guess the "what is this?" pictures... (tee hee) :D
    Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 09:52 PM
    People who think a closed office door is an invitation to peek in the window to see if I'll open it because they just need a quick question answered.

I closed my damned door for a reason! It was because I kept getting interrupted with "just a quick question" from too many people! Go away!
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    people who tell me they'll call (not "I'll call you sometime" but..."I'll call you later tonight") and don't call.

People who are late...by a lot...with no apparent good reason.

People who don't answer simple questions with simple answers (i.e. - "Why do we need to go to the store?" ...answers with, "Well, I woke up this morning...")
    Sounds like the easier people I have to deal with in life.
    I do know what you mean by the Well I woke up this morning... and then I had eggs and bacon and a bagel for breakfast. Then I went to the bathroom and then I walked the dog and then my sister called but I was paying the utility bill over the phone and didn't switch to the call waiting. Then I thought about what to have for dinner. We need to go to the store for toilet paper.
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2008, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    People who think a closed office door is an invitation to peek in the window to see if I'll open it because they just need a quick question answered.

I closed my damned door for a reason! It was because I kept getting interrupted with "just a quick question" from too many people! Go away!
    Sounds like my neighbors. They either pound on the door like Task force or they go to the window and start a conversation like you already left them in.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2008, 10:03 PM
    People who randomly approach you at a coffee shop, start making conversation... then talk to you for 20 minutes.

... all the while I have EARPLUGS in my ears... and I'm CLEARLY studying.

NO YOU MAY NOT HOOK ME UP WITH YOUR 17 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 13, 2008, 10:19 PM
    I agree with all of them everyone. Except hooking me up with a 17 year old daughter, never had that happen. ;)
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 05:50 AM
    I hate people who think they can start up a conversation with you when you're obviously reading, whether you're reading a novel, a newspaper, or schoolbooks, it doesn't matter. Library rules, people! You don't interrupt others reading in a library, so don't interrupt people reading on their break at work!
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Aug 14, 2008, 06:45 AM
    Pet Peeve #1 - Visiting a gasoline station that offers pay at the pump and for unknown reasons employees there do not refill the paper dispenser forcing me to go into the store for my receipt thereby defeating the purpose of using the pay at the pump feature!!

Pet Peve #2 - Unsynchronized red lights thereby wasting time and expensive fuel at intersections!!
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 06:48 AM
    OoOo... so I'm a bit of a speed demon... (no tickets, no accidents, woo hoo!) and my absolutely biggest pet peeve...

When two old (not older, old... like they should be in a home old) people drive side by side on a two lane road... and go 5 mph BELOW the speed limit.
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 06:50 AM
    Oh the gas station reminded me of one of my bigger pet peeves.
    I HATE when I have to pull into a really busy gas station and there are no available pumps,
    The lot is tiny. Then you see somebody is done pumping so you pull up behind them and they open the trunk and start cleaning it out or they take their time getting in the car and then sit there and put make up on, talk to the passenger, talk on the cell phone or whatever for a minute or two.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
    Mine: no brake lights on the car ahead of me. Grrrr...
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2008, 06:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ISneezeFunny
    OoOo...so I'm a bit of a speed demon...(no tickets, no accidents, woo hoo!) and my absolutely biggest pet peeve...

when two old (not older, old...like they should be in a home old) people drive side by side on a two lane road...and go 5 mph BELOW the speed limit.
    OR they pull out in front of you out of a parking lot you have to slow down from 35 miles per hour to 5 miles per hour and it is a one lane road and you can't pass. WHY don't they let you go by before they pull out if they only want to go 5 ot 10 miles an hour?
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 06:54 AM
    My pet peeves:

1.) If I'm living with someone and they leave ALL of their clothes on the floor, dirty or clean.
    2.) When the dishes get so high that you have to climb a ladder to deal with them.
    3.) When driving on the highway or a back road, it drives me bonkers when someone doesn't use their directional signal, especially those on the highway because that is dangerous.
    4.) Drivers that weave all over the highway, don't even think about other drivers or causing an accident. They think they own the road with their stupid beamer. ERRR...
    5.) When people call you (not you calling them) and don't even talk.
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Oooh... the driving stuff reminded me...

When people decide they're going to turn (with a turn lane) or exit (with an exit lane) and hit their brakes/slow down BEFORE they're in that lane.

Seriously... the lane is THERE for you to slow down. Don't start breaking a 1/4 mile in advance so that I'm driving 30 down the highway because YOU are turning.
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2008, 08:16 AM
    Ooppps, Synnen, I think I am guilty of that but I don't slow down 1/4 of a mile, I think it's more like a couple hundred feet before the turn. Is that okay?
    Expert

Aug 14, 2008, 08:24 AM
    It's those people that do it even when you can see plenty of room ahead of the turn to slow down in, in the turn lane.

If you have a straight exit (not a cloverleaf) for example, and you hit your brakes a couple hundred feet BEFORE the exit even starts, that's just silly. There's a couple hundred feet of EXIT to slow down in!

I mean, I slow down to take a turn. That's safe and logical. I just hate the people that start braking down to 20 miles below the speed limit while they are still ON the freeway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What does "Pet Peeve" means? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm learning English and would like to know what this expression actually means? Thank you! :)

View more questions Search