Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corvette12 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2011, 05:46 AM
    2002 Sonata cold starting problem
    2002 2.4 l 110,000 miles cold starting problem. The car will start after about 10 seconds of cranking and runs normal. The fuel pump was replaced but did not fix. If I bump the starter twice and then try to start, the car will start and run normal, It sounds like a fuel delivery problem, no error codes. After starting the car will start normal from then on. Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 09:10 AM
    . Start your car this way:

Turn the ignition switch to ON, until the fuel pump stops running. This fully pressurizes the fuel rail. Then, turn the ignition switch to START. It should, then, fire right up.

. Clean the throttle plate, throttle body, upper and lower ports, and air box. Replace the air filter, if it has not been changed in the last 25,000 miles.

. Replace the spark plugs with the same ones that came in the car, if they have not been changed in the last 3 years.

Oct 10, 2011, 12:24 PM
    The problem is that the fuel pump does not run in the ON position. It has a 40 PSI sensor near the fuel tank that I replaced with one from the junk yard. The pump doesn't run with either one in the ON position. Do you have a wiring diagram of this circuit? Thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 02:18 PM
    . Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter--be very thorough.

. Clean the main ECM ground.

. Check, or replace, the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

. Check, or replace, the main relay.

Oct 11, 2011, 06:53 AM
    All the fuses are good, I'll check the ECM ground and the ignition switch. Do you have a diagram of how the fuel pump get it's voltage in the on position? Thanks
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2011, 07:00 AM
    Nope.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2002 Hyundai Sonata battery keep draining [ 16 Answers ]

My 2002 Hyundai Sonata battery keeps draining. I have had 3 batteries: Dec 2010, January 2011, Feb. 2011; and March 2011. Now this time it drained out 7 days from the last purchase. These batteries was replaced with new batteries. The guy check my alternator and they said it was okay. Can...

2002 hyundai sonata blown fuses [ 1 Answers ]

The fuse for the dashboard lights/right rear tail light keeps blowing. What is the cause?

93 Honda civic ex starting problem in cold, wet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Civic EX (2 door) that has a strange problem. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. I can not start the car in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have changed the spark plug...

2002 hyundai sonata starting problems [ 7 Answers ]

Have 2002 Sonata, the car starts fine and then die when the engine is warm (approximately after 10 minutes of engine runnning). After that, it will not start. It doesn't start also in the morning, it will just crank but will not start. Have check all fuses and all are okey. Spark plug is new,...

View more questions Search