Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelenC Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Fixing a leaking intake valve
    Do I need to call a plumber to fix a leaking intake valve for cold water to my washing machine -- is this a soldering job? The valve leaks when I open it, and drips even when I shut it closed clockwise. Thanks, I tried searching this page and didn't see any previous posts, sorry if I am repeating an earlier question.
    gametime Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 08:56 AM
    Hey I seem to have the same problem with my cold water valve and I was wondering if you are having any other problems?? Smells?? Sorry I can't help Helen.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Helen,

I realize the faucet shown isn't the same as the washer hose bib but the innards are the same. If it leaks past the stem when on then snug up the bonnet packing nut until it stops. It it leaks out the spout when you shut it off then change out the washer.
    Gametime,
    You haven't given m,e enough data to answer your question. Where's your valve located? Is it a hose bib or a fixture faucet? What exactly is it doing? Get back to me and I'll get back to you. Regards, Tom
    gametime Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
    Hi speedball,
    The leak basically comes from just below the handle. The valve is located just behind the washer and I'm just trying to get rid of a smell from behind the washer and was just wondering if a small leak could over time cause a smell?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 25, 2006, 12:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gametime
    hi speedball,
    the leak basically comes from just below the handle. the valve is located just behind the washer and im just trying to get rid of a smell from behind the washer and was just wondering if a small leak could over time cause a smell?
    Yes, a leak could cause mold to grow and cause odor. Same answer as Hellen. If it leaks past the stem when on then snug up the bonnet packing nut until it stops. Good luck Tom

Jun 27, 2006, 07:21 PM
    Thank you Speedball,
    Here's what happens: The valve is closed. When I open the valve it leaks a whole lot, sprays, until the valve is completely open, and then it leaks less. When I go to close the valve, it sprays again, until the valve is completely closed.
    What is bonnet packing? Is there a special way to apply it? Clockwise, counter?
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 28, 2006, 10:37 AM
    Hey Helen,
    "What is bonnet packing? Is there a special way to apply it? clockwise, counter?"
    Look at the image I put up. The bonnet packing's under the bonnet packing nut. You stop a stem leak by opening up the faucet until it starts to spray water. Then you snug up the bonnet packing nut clockwise compressing the packing until the leak stops. If you can't get it to stop then the bonnet packing must be replaced. Good luck, Tom

Jul 4, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Helen,
    "What is bonnet packing? Is there a special way to apply it? clockwise, counter?"
    Look at the image I put up. The bonnet packing's under the bonnet packing nut. You stop a stem leak by opening up the faucet until it starts to spray water. Then you snug up the bonnet packing nut clockwise compressing the packing until the leak stops. If you can't get it to stop then the bonnet packing must be replaced. Good luck, Tom
    Thanks, Tom. It worked just fine once I got up enough nerve to look for the water shutoff for the entire house. All fixed! I'm batting 100 right now -- I managed to fix a loudly grinding fan this morning by spraying with a tiny bit of lubricant inside the opened housing -- so I'd better quit while I'm ahead. :) You guys on the internet make being a single mom/homeowner... manageable. My daughter gave me a high five! -- Helen
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 4, 2006, 11:54 AM
    Hey Helen,
    You not only get a hi five from us but a "WELL DONE and A HUG".

Proud of you! Tom

Aug 6, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Well, unfortunately, the nut started to leak a little so I went back and put in more packing. But I tightened the nut too much, so that it is cracked, now only half of it is holding, which I am worried about. Does the handle unscrew so that I can replace the nut? It has a flat screw in the top but it's not budging (counterclockwise, right?) . Thanks. Helen
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenC
    Well, unfortunately, the nut started to leak a little so I went back and put in more packing. But I tightened the nut too much, so that it is cracked, now only half of it is holding, which I am worried about. Does the handle unscrew so that I can replace the nut? It has a flat screw in the top but it's not budging (counterclockwise, right?) . Thanks. Helen
    Hi Helen,

Unfortunately I know of no replacement bonnet packing nuts. The valve will have to be replaced. Sorry, Tom

Aug 7, 2006, 11:07 AM
    Is this a soldering job or screwing on a new valve? I kind of stop at the soldering...
    Helen
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 7, 2006, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenC
    Is this a soldering job or screwing on a new valve? I kind of stop at the soldering...
    Helen
    As a rule the wash machine valves are screw in types with male threads.
    Shut the water off to the house at the house shut off amd unscrew and take it in to be replaced. Don't forget to teflon tape the threads before installing. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Water Shut Off Valve [ 4 Answers ]

The main water shut off valve inside the house is leaking. How do I shut off the valve "outside" the house so we can work on fixing this? The house is 16 yrs old. This is the original valve. Would you estimate that this is a simple washer problem? Or is this best left to a professional...

Airlock problem on water Intake valve into House [ 3 Answers ]

I have a house that is 4 1/2 years old. I am on city water and all of a sudden about just over 1 month ago I started having a banging problem on the major water intake Valve into the house when I flush the toilets, washer starts filling up with water, turning on the Taps in the basement. This...

Water supply valve leaking [ 3 Answers ]

Friends- I asked about water supply valve leaking a couple of weeks ago. Just got to repairing it. With some difficulty I got the packing around the stem and wonder of wonders the valve does not leak. Thank you. However, when I turned on the water supply to the house (There was no other turn...

Safety valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I installed new pressure switch and new tank, also new pressure gauge, also replaced the safety valve. Pressure switch is set to kick on at 40 psi and off at 65 psi, safety valve is suppose to open at 75 psi. How ever I get a small amount of leakage from the safety valve. What's my problem?

Water supply valve leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Friends- An indoor water supply valve to an outdoor spicket is leaking around the base of the stem when I open the valve to use the outdoor faucet. Is it most likely from a deteriorated washer or O-ring? Is this corrected by turning off the house water supply, opening the outdoor faucet to...

View more questions Search