Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjl Posts: 486, Reputation: 26

Sep 25, 2008, 02:41 PM
    Gum Grafting
    I used to brush my teeth too hard when I was younger and I just had to get some gum grafting 2 days ago (tuesday) on my 2 lower central incisors because of it. I have had no pain what so ever since I got it done, but I have been taking advil ever since just like the dentist told me. Anyway, the past 2 morning I've woken up to blood in my mouth even though nothing bleeds throughout the day. Also, I've woken up this morning to a bit of swelling even though I've had no swelling the day of, and the next day. The swelling hasn't gone away yet.

Is it normal to not have any bleeding all day, but wake up in the morning with it? Is it normal to not have any swelling for 2 days after the surgery, but then suddenly have swelling on the 3rd day?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 25, 2008, 03:34 PM
    The swelling and blood in the morning could be from grinding your teeth at night, which has disturbed the teeth and therefore the gums. I would talk to the dentist about the grinding because sometimes they can change your bite so it doesn't happen.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 25, 2008, 03:35 PM

mjl,
    Did the dentist put a "bandaid" over the surgical site? Is the blood a bright red or pinkish in colour?
    You should call him/her to tell him/her what you are experiencing.

Sep 25, 2008, 03:51 PM

I normally do wear a bite plate at night for clenching my teeth together when I sleep, but I was told not to wear it right now... but that does make sense of why it is bleeding at night.

Yes, there is a "chewing gum" like patch over my hard palate, and in front of my lower cental incisors. It is bloody just underneath that one, about where the fenum is. It just started bleed again there but it seemed to have stopped... Yet again.

Is it normal to have bleeding?

Sep 25, 2008, 03:52 PM
    Oh, and it is red blood not pinkish.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Sep 25, 2008, 05:06 PM

MJL... the reason you are bleeding at night is because when you lie down, (due to less gravitational force) the blood pressure in your head increases (just like a toothache throbs more when the "victim" lies down) It's common and nothing to worry about... swelling peaks at 48 to 72 hours... again... nothing to worry about.. if it goes gown, then back up that means infection... either way, if you have an concerns, go see the dentist! He should have scheduled you a post op check...
    Dr. Amir

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search