Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chloe085 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2014, 09:35 AM
    Threatened with being sacked.
    I've worked for a company for 8 years now and have lost my name badge, I have been told that if I don't buy a new one for £5 then they will go through the correct procedures and sack me. Might I add that this is the first time I've lost my badge since I started. Is this fair being forced to pay for a new one?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

May 15, 2014, 09:50 AM
    It may not be fair but the rules, are the rules, and you lost yours they didn't. Not worth being fired over, as irritating as it may be.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 15, 2014, 10:13 AM
    Sure they can... If you have a name badge.. then you can be required to wear it... if you lose it, they can make you pay for a replacement. They do this because people pay more attention and lose them less frequently if they have to pay for a replacement. And replacements do cost the employer money.

Be glad its only that much.....certain smart card ID's cost three times that much to replace.

May 15, 2014, 11:03 AM
    Ok thank you. How frustrating especially considering I don't like my job. Thanks again.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2014, 04:09 PM
    There has to be a published rule that states that lost badges will be replaced with a fine. That rule also has to be applied to everyone. If you were not aware of this rule because its not published or its not applied to everyone, you might be able to fight it, but it will cost more than fine.

I'm assuming this is an RFID card that you can swipe against a reader for door access etc. These are expensive so its not unusual for companies to charge to replace them.
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

May 15, 2014, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chloe085 View Post
    Ok thank you. How frustrating especially considering I don't like my job. Thanks again.
    Really, you have another option, you can quit and maybe you won't have to buy a new badge. Thank your lucky stars you have a job as I am sure many would like to have your job and be grateful for it. Be more careful in the future.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 15, 2014, 05:08 PM
    You lost your name badge. They're asking you to replace it, but you have to pay for it because you lost it. Why should they fund it when you lost it?

It's simple. Either pay the $5, or get fired because you don't want to. From what you posted, being fired wouldn't be so bad, since you hate your job anyway.

If you think it's so easy to get another job, keep fighting this fight. Bottom line, you lost the name badge. It's no their fault, it's yours.

I have two kids. My son lost his scooter a few years ago. I paid $150 for that scooter. He wanted me to buy him a new one. I said no. Why should I? I paid for the first one, and he lost it! If he wants a new one, he can pay for it, and maybe after paying for it, he'll take better care of it, because he now knows what it's worth, and what he had to do to earn it.

It's $5. Pay it and stop whining about it.

May 16, 2014, 01:20 AM
    I wasn't whining I was just curious. Especially as seen it's the first time I've lost it. It's only a name to show who I am, just a magnet and a bit of plastic. I'll pay thank you for your responses.x

May 16, 2014, 04:34 AM
    just a magnet and a bit of plastic.
    Why do you think that? Do you swipe the card like a credit card or just hold it up to a reader? I've not seen magnetic stripe cards used for ID cards for a while. More likely the cards are RFID, which means there is a chip embedded in them. In addition to the cost of the card (my company pay over $4 per card), plus the cost of printing the card. There is also the time spent to disable your old card and add your access to the new card. It may only take a few minutes, but that's time the security or IT person could be doing other things. Managing ID cards is part of my responsibility, so its not insignificant.

While it may be draconian to apply this the first time, the rules are there and they should be applied strictly.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 16, 2014, 06:45 AM
    (minor, but note this is 5 pounds, not 5 dollars)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 16, 2014, 06:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    (minor, but note this is 5 pounds, not 5 dollars)
    . Converted to 8.40 US dollars.

May 16, 2014, 07:03 AM
    I know, but I'll let her do the conversion ;)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 16, 2014, 07:06 AM
    I have to pay $10 USD for a replacement badge.

May 16, 2014, 08:36 AM
    It's a name badge , it goes on my shirt and there it stays.

Jeese 10dollars

May 16, 2014, 09:43 AM
    It's a name badge , it goes on my shirt and there it stays.
    Its not used for door access or used to identify you to anything electronic?

May 16, 2014, 11:53 AM
    No nothing electronic.

Or door use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sacked [ 8 Answers ]

Can you be sacked for being ill then getting an operation and then having a week off with a doctors line from stress?

Can I been sacked from work when I've had doctors sick notes? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have been absent from work 3 times over a period of 26 weeks first time was beginning of April 2 days with sickness and diarrhea 2nd time was end of April with a trapped nerve in my shoulder which I had a doctors,s sick note to cover this and was off 8 days 3 weeks ago I had my big toe nail...

Why should I be threatened? [ 3 Answers ]

Right here goes... Ive been having a lot of trouble with my fella lately as you can see on my older posts. Its just not stopping because its one thing after another me and the boyfriend have discussed sorting out our relationship but once again we have another problem on our hands, this...

We are being threatened after judgment against us. [ 4 Answers ]

Our family business repaired a car for a client that ended up having some problems. We offered to take the car back and fix it for free but they took the job elsewhere and sued us for not only what they paid there, but claims that we stole expensive items off the car (of course we did not). ...

Being Threatened by Grandma [ 6 Answers ]

I live in Washington. I have a 2 1/2 year old. Her father lives in Oregon. He dumped me when I was 4 months pregnant, saw her at the hospital and once a week later. I moved out of the area to be with my parents for help since he was not around. He hasn't seen her since she was 1 month old. He does...

View more questions Search