Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2019, 08:10 PM
    Is it climate change or stupidity?
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...991f80bb626b1d

There are fires in eastern Australia, there are fires in California, and there have been fires in various other places for various reasons but is it climate change or stupidity? People build houses surrounded by combustible material, they live in places that cannot be defended if fire erupts and then there are those who defend their property instead of leaving. I have a unique perspective on this having had a bush fire crown over the top of me in 1975 while working to stop a fire. Very unpleasant experience..

Recently Trump decided that in the US he wasn't going to help California, we haven't become so insulated from human suffering that we would take such a step but realism has to kick in. Regulation that prevents clearing of vegetation must be over hauled, we cannot afford tree preservation orders in residential areas any more, property protection has to become a priority, or we retreat

After this fire season I think we should consider the wisdom of how much of the country is locked up in national parks which are really tinder boxes full of combustible material in inaccessible areas
    Vacuum7 Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Nov 9, 2019, 10:20 PM
    Paraclete: Like the old saying, "If you are going to be stupid, you got to be tough!" Climate has been changing and will be changing from now on, whether or not man exists or not.....I don't know how much influence we humans have on it and, if we do, what degree that influence is, really. But, I am with you: California is a special case of stupid: I mean they are ""out there" on everything from legalized dope, Sanctuary Cities out the arse, race problems, horrible politicians of ALL descriptions and parties, seismic conditions abounding, a fleeing population trying to escape out while another population tries to "escape in", and big time geographical differences, tremendous industrial output, and a huge population......and, all the while enacting the law/provisions you site: Not being able to clear vegetation and endangering homes.
    Ultra Member

Nov 9, 2019, 11:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacuum7 View Post
    Paraclete: Like the old saying, "If you are going to be stupid, you got to be tough!" Climate has been changing and will be changing from now on, whether or not man exists or not.....I don't know how much influence we humans have on it and, if we do, what degree that influence is, really. But, I am with you: California is a special case of stupid: I mean they are ""out there" on everything from legalized dope, Sanctuary Cities out the arse, race problems, horrible politicians of ALL descriptions and parties, seismic conditions abounding, a fleeing population trying to escape out while another population tries to "escape in", and big time geographical differences, tremendous industrial output, and a huge population......and, all the while enacting the law/provisions you site: Not being able to clear vegetation and endangering homes.
    Yes Vac, the same here. I don't know who borrowed these ideas from whom, but, it is time to say; we have heard you and it is B/S. You want to tell someoneelse what to do, go and live as they do. We have the rediculous situation here where, in my district, you cannot collect rainwater to alleviate your water costs, where elsewhere you are forced to install water tanks in new houses, and we have water restrictions, but universally you cannot remove trees without permission, no matter they dump leaves and bark creating a fire hazard. These fires are a case in point, some originating in national parks and reserves, where hazard reduction isn't allowed and what have they done, created fire storms and destroyed towns and I have heard the news, I know similar things happen in other countries. time to kick the do gooders and dills out of office
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2019, 05:26 AM
    I am not alone in my comments
    https://www.news.com.au/technology/e...d6fdceecb37f86

My thoughts have been echoed by a firefighter who clearly blames environmental policy and not climate change for the disastrous bush fires in Australia, and should you be unaware, tomorrow will be another day of catastrophy with communities being told not to expect help and to leave now

There has been one plus from this Trump has been kicked off the news

Nov 11, 2019, 11:14 AM
    Paraclete: Again, perfect example of man resisting The Laws Of Nature....and getting his arse kicked up one side and down the other! Nature has a very good winning record against man.....and I don't think that will change any time soon.
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2019, 01:44 PM
    Vac, I don't think we know the laws of nature, the rule is everything changes, tomorrow will not be the same as today
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2019, 03:14 PM
    I guess it's to much to ask humans to adapt to the conditions they face in a practical way. If I had to choose between climate change and stupidity, I would certainly not discount human stupidity even if it could well be a combination of both. Humans are helpless to nature.

It's like falling asleep in bed while smoking. You going to blame the bed for burning or the cigarette for igniting the bed? No blame the stupid human that lit the cigarette and fell asleep in the bed.

Nov 11, 2019, 08:03 PM
    Talaniman: I often wonder if my dog looks at me, his master, and other humans, and thinks that we are entirely stupid! Man is such a waste: I think we are truly efficient, truly effective for a miserable amount of time that we suck oxygen in....my estimation: maybe 20%, tops, of our time alive!
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2019, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vacuum7 View Post
    Talaniman: I often wonder if my dog looks at me, his master, and other humans, and thinks that we are entirely stupid! Man is such a waste: I think we are truly efficient, truly effective for a miserable amount of time that we suck oxygen in....my estimation: maybe 20%, tops, of our time alive!
    Vac, your dog looks at you as his god, he thinks you are wonderful, you have much, he has nothing but you. You have a purpose, making your dog's life worthwhile

Nov 12, 2019, 05:43 AM
    Paraclete: Never thought about it from that viewpoint.....great perspective!
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2019, 03:06 PM
    I would agree with many liberals (gasp!) that increasing the CO2 content of the atmosphere is not a great idea. To say that it has caused a marginal increase in the surface temp of the earth is probably accurate. The big problem is what to do about it. The dem's crazy idea of the Green New Deal is DOA, so how can we get away from carbon fuel usage? It's a tough question. It might very well end up being a whole lot cheaper and more practical to adapt to the changes. We'll see.

Ideas???

BTW, this was good. "You want to tell someoneelse what to do, go and live as they do. We have the rediculous situation here where, in my district, you cannot collect rainwater to alleviate your water costs, where elsewhere you are forced to install water tanks in new houses, and we have water restrictions, but universally you cannot remove trees without permission, no matter they dump leaves and bark creating a fire hazard. These fires are a case in point, some originating in national parks and reserves, where hazard reduction isn't allowed and what have they done, created fire storms and destroyed towns and I have heard the news, I know similar things happen in other countries. time to kick the do gooders and dills out of office."

Nov 12, 2019, 04:20 PM
    We aren't changing anything: Even now, record low temperatures are striking various parts of the U.S..….weather/weather patterns are cyclical.....Plants love CO2......The U.S. isn't going to or, should say, the U.S. ought not put itself at a disadvantage against foreign adversaries by relegating itself to the stone ages to accommodate an untenable situation in terms of reduced industrial capacity in order to fulfil the wants of a pseudo religion called Global Warming. If Global Warming is real, then we should seek REAL solutions: Adopt Nuclear Power! We just aren't taking charge of this like we should....too much in the way of emotions and not enough in the way of answers.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2019, 04:34 PM
    The problem with nuclear has always been waste. I supplied links to that mess in an earler post, and it details how cost extensive and time consuming it is to clean up. Sometimes decades.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2019, 04:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    The problem with nuclear has always been waste. I supplied links to that mess in an earler post, and it details how cost extensive and time consuming it is to clean up. Sometimes decades.
    Tal this is not the big problem it used to be, still the waste has to be dealt with and using spent uranium in weapons is a bad idea. We have to be smarter and not build reactors in earthquake zones. Renewables isn't the answer either, a stopgap at best, and we have to be resigned to the fact that coal and oil won't last forever. The answer is unpalatable, population reduction and limits. It doesn't matter that we are reducing CO2 per capita while ever population increases, emissions increase and however much this contributes to climate change it is unsustainable. The facts are that longterm climate change has been with us for a very long time, so I think we stop this nonsense about CO2 and put our research into solving the problem. Ours is a very wasteful society anyway enough rant for now
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2019, 04:52 PM
    To clean up what? As I understand it, and who knows if I do or not, when nuke plants are run properly, the nuclear waste needs a place to go, but beyond that there is nothing to clean up.
    Expert

Nov 12, 2019, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    To clean up what? As I understand it, and who knows if I do or not, when nuke plants are run properly, the nuclear waste needs a place to go, but beyond that there is nothing to clean up.
    Check this out.
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2019, 05:54 PM
    Hansford was not simply a reactor site. It was a nuke weapons production site where they were learning as they went along. They made a lot of mistakes. You can't apply that model to the typical nuke plant that exists now. Not even close.

Wind and solar are too unreliable. Hydro is already about tapped out. If you don't want fossil fuels, then what's left other than nuke?
    Expert

Nov 12, 2019, 06:38 PM
    It's an all sources on deck approach, as grid technology and best practice methods are developed. Still we are talking decades.
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2019, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    It's an all sources on deck approach, as grid technology and best practice methods are developed. Still we are talking decades.
    yes whatever happened to cold fusion I guess you have to put in more than you get out but there is still he3 so back to the Moon

Nov 12, 2019, 07:32 PM
    Darn it all! If FRANCE can do, why can't we (Nuclear Power, I mean).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Climate change?? [ 35 Answers ]

Hello: Look, I'm a climate change denier too, but this is some crazy weather we're having, huh? So, even though global warming is a hoax, if my home had been destroyed by Sandy, I wouldn't temp fate again. I'd move or rebuild it on stilts. You? 98% of the worlds scientists AGREE that...

Climate Change [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it there? How has it changed? What are the different perspectives? What has been done?

Climate Change? [ 195 Answers ]

Hello: I seem to recall that when it was cold, the climate change deniers said, LOOK at that. It's cold. Global warming MUST be a hoax... Ok, LOOK at that. Massive flooding in the mid west, massive drought in the south west, unending tornadoes, and a humongous snow pack. If we have a hot...

EU Agrees Climate Change [ 95 Answers ]

Hello Today ahead of a meeting in Copenhagen it was agreed that the EU will fund the improvement of the newer states to help them bring into line their emissons News Sniffer - Revisionista 'EU strikes climate funding deal' diff viewer (2/3) The essence is the EU will offer some 100bn...

View more questions Search