Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    calliedre Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Abandonment on children
    If the father is not on the birth certificate and has not paid or seen the kids in a year can I get him for abandonment so that my fiancée that has been helping me raise them adopt them. Please help me!! How do I go about this?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 10:15 AM
    You will have to first determine paternity, before you can do anything else.

Until it is legally determined who the father is, there is noting you can do regarding abandonment.

Jul 14, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Actually we went to court in 2006 and he acknowledged he is the father so all of this is done. I am going through the state because it started costing me an arm and a leg him not paying and not seeing the kids that it started costing me a lot of money. Not to mention he is on drugs, a drunk, and has had 1 hit and run and another being investigated. I do not feel like my kids will be safe with him.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Be ready for the long haul. Its not as easy as you might think. Mnay states have time limits that must be reached and also you must be married before anything can happen. Most courts won't do anything until your married for at least 1 year.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
    Is there an order for support and one for visitation? You can go back to court for the order of support to be enforced and the judge can ask his employer to take it from his check. As calif pointed out most states require you to be married for a full year before the other party can adopt and even the ones that don't you have to show a steady relationship.

Jul 14, 2008, 02:51 PM
    There is a court ordered and he owes actually 20,000.00. I have been with my boyfriend for a year. The dad does not work and every time we finally reach him where he works he quits. This has been ongoing for two years. He recently about a month ago got into a motorcycle accident and is not working we go to court Monday 7/21 for him owing me so much money can I get him for abandonment this day because he is going to tell the judge he does not work and will not be able to work for a while. It is not about the money at this time it is about my kids and we have made it this far without him I just want him out of our lives because he does nothing anyway.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 03:07 PM
    In most states, just not visiting and not paying support is not grounds to take their rights away. And this is not considered abandoment in most states Also normally one of the best ways, is to get that court ordered child support in place and start forcing him to pay chilc support, when he is paying the money, he may behappy to sign over for the adoption to get the payments to stop
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 03:26 PM
    What you can do is contact support kids or another agency like that. They won't take any money out of your pocket and they will use their many resources to collect the money owed. As far as the adoption I don't know of a judge that would grant it after just a year of dating (even if you are supposed to get married you aren't yet). Also Fr chuck pointed out that in most states abandonment is leaving a child such as at a bus stop what state are you in? That information could help greatly.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 14, 2008, 04:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by calliedre
    there is a court ordered and he owes actually 20,000.00. i have been with my boyfriend for a year. The dad does not work and everytime we finally reach him where he works he quits. this has been ongoing for two years. he recently about a month ago got into a motorcycle accident and is not working we go to court monday 7/21 for him owing me so much money can i get him for abandonment this day b/c he is going to tell the judge he does not work and will not be able to work for a while. it is not about the money at this time it is about my kids and we have made it this far without him i just want him out of our lives b/c he does nothing anyway.

The answer to your question about the courts. Its NO. When you go to court you have a specific issue that your going on and if you have other issues that's a separate hearing. It sounds like your going for some kind of a decision on arrears or some jail time. The rest is for the judge.

Jul 14, 2008, 04:36 PM
    I live in Louisiana.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Abandonment from me and my children [ 1 Answers ]

My husband left my children and I on Monday. I want to know what I need to do. I have not seen or heard from him at all. We were planning on separating anyway. I went to get a weekend by myself on Saturday and was back on Sunday. I want a place of my own and then I was going to file for divorce. He...

Abandonment [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Texas been living hear for 7 months my ex lives in Arizona I've had my kids for 2 years and she has not seen them in 2 years since I have been gone she has had one abortion and now she is giving a baby up for adoption I need to know if this fuls under abandonment in the state of Texas

Abandonment of children? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a brother who had been married for 13 years. Then his wife left them for other man. She left my brother and the children 13,12, and 5years old. Nine months later, she seeks her right to see her children. Does she really have the right to do so? And one more thing, when they were married,...

Abandonment [ 1 Answers ]

My ex-husband is taking me to court for abandonment,how can he do that if I never left for more than 2 weeks at a time.and also in 1997 I have court papers from when he would up and leave me and my children for no reason and that's not abandonment.the only reason I left before was he would always...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

View more questions Search