Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HoustonMI Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 06:12 PM
    Free space disappearing for no reason
    About three years ago I purchased a Dell XPS 8100 computer with a 1000 gigabyte hard drive, Windows 7 Home Premium with an Intel Core i7 CPU. Until recently, this computer has performed wonderfully and I've always had approximately 850 gigabytes of free space.

A month ago, in one day, the free space decreased by about 90 gigabytes. Yesterday, in approximately 12 hours, it decreased by another 110 gigabytes. I've not downloaded anything out of the ordinary during this time, as I mainly use this computer for emailing and surfing. The Dell site checks indicate all hardware is okay (although at one point it said "Unexpected Error Occurred"), and checks by Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes, SpywareBlaster and Spybot indicate all is well.

I would definitely appreciate suggestions.
    Garvit chauhan Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2013, 10:21 PM
    One reason can be installed softwares occupying space else it is weird
    Appzalien Posts: 540, Reputation: 57

May 23, 2013, 08:03 AM
    You might want to try using a disk space monitor to see if you can identify what is using up the space.
    Five Best Hard Drive Space Analyzers
    System Restore can use a lot of space but typically it is set to a certain allocated amount and you lose older points for new points when you reach the limit. Sometimes a program will create temp files while doing its function and then it should delete them after it finished. If something goes wrong with the program it may fail to delete its temp files and just start growing out of control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do, if anything , to free-up space? [ 5 Answers ]

My Local Disk D in Windows Vista has a Volume of 8.30 GB. The Used Space is 8.01 GB, leaving 291 MB of free space. This is not even enough for 1 back-up of the System. What can I do, if anything , to free-up space?

How To Free Space On My C Drive? [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a Windows XP Computer with a C drive that's very nearly full. I've tried to defragment. However, this process won't work--I get a message saying there's not enough free space to run a Defrag, since it requires a certain amount of free space to function. I have transferred all my iTunes,...

Where is my free space? [ 1 Answers ]

Ive never really paid close attention to how much free space I have, because Ive always had plenty. I don't have any big programs, and Im am constantly doing maintenance. Deleting temp files etc. Now, all of a sudden Im down to 10% free space. Ive done disc clean up, but there isn't anything for...

Getting more free space [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbor asked me to get her computer running faster a month ago. When I went over there I went to disk clean up on her computer and I was only able to get her freespace percentage to fourteen (it was at five at first).To do a disk defragment fifthteen percent freespace was needed. She went...

Best Free FTP space? [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone recommend the best free FTP site. I occasionally need to sen out large files, 32MB tiffs and up.

View more questions Search