Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Roxy42201 Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Oct 4, 2007, 10:56 AM
    Puppy Needs To Gain Weight
    Hello All,

I have a 9 month olde english bulldogge and he's a little to skinny. When we first got him from the breeder he had a parasite that we immediately medicated him for and he has been parasite and worm free for almost 2 months now. The vet said he is perfectly healthy but can afford to gain some weight. We would like to stay away from canned food and he doesn't like rice. We add some meat in every once in a while, but it gives him gas and diahrea. He's not a big eater to begin with and we try to feed him as much as he will eat, but it not getting anywhere. If anyone has any ideas on a good healthy diet we can try, please let me know.

:) Thanks!
    Antony dot f dot Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Oct 4, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy42201
    Hello All,

I have a 9 month olde english bulldogge and he's a little to skinny. When we first got him from the breeder he had a parasite that we immediatly medicated him for and he has been parasite and worm free for almost 2 months now. The vet said he is perfectly healthy but can afford to gain some weight. We would like to stay away from canned food and he doesn't like rice. We add some meat in every once in a while, but it gives him gas and diahrea. He's not a big eater to begin with and we try to feed him as much as he will eat, but it not getting anywhere. If anyone has any ideas on a good healthy diet we can try, please let me know.

:) Thanks!
    Well, I don't think you have to stick to non-canned food. If it's dog food, it should be good for dogs (and dog food doesn't always com in cans, either)!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
    You might read through the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171 The essential part of it for you is LongLiveYourDog.com - Life Span Study - Rate Your Dog If his ribs were actually showing, likely the vet would be taking a more action. If not, lean is healthy. I do have a strong idea of a healthy diet for him, a concentrated, meat based dog chow such as Iams or Pro Plan. Since I don't think English Bulldogs have the joint problem many larger breeds do, you could continue the higher calorie puppy chow if you are feeding it. A high calorie working dog chow might be a good choice too. If you are feeding such a chow, I would continue it offering him what he will eat. Feeding a commercial dog chow is the easiest way to assure your dog is getting the complete and balanced diet it needs. If you are feedign such a chow, stick with it, and little else. Adding this or that to correct a non existent problem most likely will cause more harm than good. I have been heavily involved with dog guides and other service dogs for many years. The schools all have long term experience with thousands of dogs. They are all feeding their highly valuable dogs a common commercial dog chow.

Some dogs just insist on keeping themselves lean, perhaps with even a little rib showing. Accept it. Also see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/b...ghlight=Saluki
    Roxy42201 Posts: 17, Reputation: 5

Oct 4, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Thanks Labman, Right now he is on Eukanumba large breed puppy dry. My Vet's assistant suggested Science Diet Active Adult dry food. What do you suggest? Also, I don't want to make it seem like I'm trying to make my dog really fat, it's just that my vet mentioned that he can afford to gain a little weight. I'm more worried about his eating habbits. He was once diagnosed with anorexia (I never knew dogs could have this but I guess you learn something new everyday). We had him on the presciption canned food, but ever since then he never goes crazy for food. He will eat VERY SLOWLY and get sidetracked easily. Could this be from him just not liking the Eukanuba?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2007, 01:46 PM
    I doubt it is just not liking the Eukanuba. That does provide a second reason for trying the Science. It sounds like the working dog formula I mentioned. If nothing else, it will make your vet happy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Why can't I gain weight? [ 19 Answers ]

I'm 25 5'2 and 95 pounds and I want to gain weight so bad, but it feels like such a struggle to do so. When I eat a little I am 95, when I eat normal it's 95, when I eat a lot it's still 95! I've been skinny my whole life and even though I'm confident, I hate my body sometimes and isn't because I...

I want to gain weight [ 1 Answers ]

I know it's always a problem for lots of women to lose wieght but in my case I want to gain weight... I eat a lot of junk food but it doesn't work!! Wats the most quick way??

Puppy Weight Gain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My younger sister recently adopted a maltese puppy from the local dog pound, and then decided she didn't want him. I've taken him in but he doesn't feel very healthy. By that I mean he's very thin and a bit ribby, so I'd like him to gain a little weight. What are some good foods to give...

Gain Weight [ 3 Answers ]

I am on a mission to add 10kg's of weight to my body, I need suggestions on what type of food to eat and to know whether there is any medication I can take to make the process easier. If I gain 10kg's, I want to start body building and improve myself image. :cool: Any help is much...

View more questions Search