Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babbs Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Can something be done?
    Hi, glad to have found this. I had a baby in July of this year, already knew that adoption would be best choice . I am 19 yrs old, 18 when baby was born. I had not told any family about pregnancy or my decision for adoption. I had lived on my own for 1 1/2 yrs. Anyway a family member got concerned about me and couldn't locate me. They called hospitals, the one I had delivered at informed them I had been discharged, but a baby was in intensive care nursery to be adopted when health issues were stable. The family member immediately told all family what had happened.I did not want them knowing any of this, I made what I will always believe the right decision. Any help on this appreciated.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 09:53 PM
    You don't need any help, just a nod of appreciation for putting the needs of the child before anything else. Hats off to you. I'm sure a good family will be extremely grateful for a chance to love your child.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2006, 01:40 AM
    Part of what you said concerns me a bit.

You said you told NO ONE you were pregnant.

Does that mean you did NOT tell the father?

Because the father had a right to know.

However if you did tell the father or you simply don't know who the father is, that is another issue.

But if you have this child up for adoption without even telling the father, that was wrong.
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by babbs
    The family member immediatly told all family what had happened.I did not want them knowing any of this, i made what i will always believe the right decision. Any help on this appreciated.
    So how has your family reacted? It's sad that you didn't feel you could count on them to help and support you through the pregnancy and adoption procedure. You aren't finished with this yet, of course. It will be a lifelong thing to deal with and even though you did do what was best for your baby, there will always be concerns and twinges of regret and possibly guilt to deal with. Especially if your family is judgmental and unsupportive, I would urge you to get some counselling to help you work through the emotional trauma that this experience has been. And yes, what about the father?
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 19, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Sounds like you are getting pretty good advice here, thus far. It is sad that you didn't feel confident in getting the support that you needed during and after the pregnancy. If they are being judgmental and unsupportive than you don't need them taking up any additional space within your heart, emotions and mind about this. Yes, counseling is imperative at this time. And I would also speak to an attorney about your confidentiality at the hospital being exposed. It has caused you un-needed emotinal pain and suffering. If you didn't want anyone to know, that is your choice. But it wasn't the person who gave out your information to your family to make that choice for you. They can be held liabel and infringment of your fundamental rights to privacy. Was this an open adoption? If it was, you will find comfort in the long run of knowing that your child is safe, healthy and in a happy home. But if its not an open adoption, it can be very traumatising for you "not knowing" in the future. Your circumstances may change in years to come. But I will tell you, I am very upset about your rights to privacy being violated!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I doing the right thing? [ 8 Answers ]

Just needing some opinions. I hope I am taking the correct route in paying my debts. First off, I had a higher paying job when I acquired a lot of my debts. I no longer have that job. Anyway, I had acquired so much debt that I could not keep up. I saw a bankruptcy lawyer for a consultation...

Did I do the right thing? [ 4 Answers ]

For 2 years now I have been dating(on and off) this guy I feel madly in love with, the first time we met. He had issues in the begginning with getting over his first love, and concentrating on our relationship. A year after being together, we broke up due to his drug use with cocaine, and him...

Is there such a thing? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there such a thing as a reliable lawn tractor , not garden tractor,under $1000?? Any comments are welcome

What Is This Thing? [ 3 Answers ]

Terresa Marie, my friend, felt something sticking her in the back. When I unsipped the dresss this is what I found. She has been bitten by a Brown Recluse Spider and is deathly afraid of them. I attempted to identify the bug on the internet but no joy. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks, ...

Am I doing the right thing? [ 9 Answers ]

? I met this 23 year old guy this past May. We started dating and everything was fine. After a whole and huge mess we broke up this past September. I didn't see him for 3 months. Then we saw each other again a week before Christmas and we got back together. Eveything has been really good. A...

View more questions Search