Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spiegel27 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2010, 02:50 PM
    Moving to Los Angeles California any recommendations, tips, or suggestions?
    Hey everyone I currently live on the north east coast and in 2 weeks I am moving to my Los Angeles California, a place I have been wanting to live for a long time. I am 23 years and moving out by myself. I have been out many times and made friends and connections etc. I have never lived in a year round sun state and I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations for beaches to go? Places to visit? Restaurants to eat at? Things to do anything at all let me know thanks a lot! =)

Aug 3, 2010, 02:52 PM

P.S.

Also any job recommendations that offer fleixble hours that I can apply at would be greatly appreciated. I am very much a people person so anything like that thanks!
    Just Looking Posts: 1,610, Reputation: 480
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 04:16 PM

I went to college at USC, and then lived for the next 4 years in Los Angeles before moving back home. I lived there from 2000-2008. LA is a great place to live at your age. There are so many things to do. Do you know what city you are going to live in or which part of LA? I lived downtown while in college, then in the Miracle Mile for 2 years out of college, and then Santa Monica for 2 years. Santa Monica is a great place to live and to go to for the beach, restaurants, etc. It depends on what you are looking for in a beach. Venice Beach is a lot of fun. Malibu is more laid back. I love the beaches in Orange County, such as Laguna Beach.

There are so many restaurants. If you give me an idea of where you will be living and what type of food you like, I'll suggest some restaurants. One of the great things about LA is that it draws lots of bands and there are many venues for them to play - Universal, Hollywood Bowl, and smaller venues. You can literally find something to do on any day of any week. What type of music do you like? There are also lots of live theater, symphonies, ballet, and other performing arts, if you like anything like that.

I loved living in LA for those 8 years. I'm not so sure it's the place to bring up a family, but in your 20's it is fun. As far as work, what experience do you have? Do you have a degree, and if so in what?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 04:19 PM

I have a friend that lives in LA. I'll talk to him and then get back to you. He works at the LA museum. :)

Aug 5, 2010, 04:27 PM

I am actually going to be sharing a house with 2 friends that have lived out there in Sherman Oaks. Where I live now in Northern New Jersey really the weekdays are dead and the weekends can be fun if you want to drive 50 minutes into NYC but its always a drive to do something here lol. I just became single so I also figure it's a great place to have fun and meet someone. Like a billion other people I am actually pursuing my acting that I have working out for several years in NY. I figured I made a decent amount of connections its time to pursue it in LA single, and away from the snow =p. I love asian food, italian, greek, really anything decently healthy. I am also very athletic. Its nice to hear that there is almost something to do every night of the week in LA haha. Any suggestions please let me know! Its greatly appreciated thanks a lot!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 04:34 PM

Well my friend is actually coming to visit Canada in a few weeks. His son lives here, but spends summers with him in LA (what a waste, I'd rather live in LA during Canadian winters).

I'll talk to him. He's a great guy, way to old for you, but still a great guy. ;)

Just give me a while. It's not always easy to get in touch with him. Maybe send me a PM in a week if I haven't posted on your thread, just to remind me. I tend to forget things. Too many threads, too many people. ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 5, 2010, 05:06 PM

Sherman Oaks is nice. I haven't spent a lot of time there, but many of my friends really like it and want to buy houses there. It's less than 15 miles to Beverly Hills or Santa Monica.

Restaurants

Italian – look into the Drago restaurants. Drago (Santa Monica) is always highly rated. Panzanella is in Sherman Oaks.

Asian – Little Island Sushi or Midori Sushi (Sherman Oaks) Musha (Japanese, Asian Fushion – in Santa Monica)

Greek – I haven't been there but the one I always hear about is called The Great Greek Restaurant and Taverna – not too original of a name

Sports

Some of the best places to run are Griffith Park, along the beach walk in Santa Monica (lots of people watching), Malibu Creek State Park.

There are many marathons, half-marathons, and 5-10k runs all over the city. The LA marathon (also includes shorter distances) is huge.

I always joined intramural sports leagues (volleyball, basketball, softball, even kickball) – lots of young, single 20-somethings.

Clubs
    Too many to name and the popular ones are always changing. I bet your friends know where to go, but I'll ask mine where they are going now. Of course my friends are now late-20's and we're all getting engaged, married, etc.

Jobs
    As far as acting goes, this is so far away from my profession that I know nothing about it.

PS - You will love the weather. :) If you miss the snow, take a drive to Big Bear or Mammoth... or even Tahoe. Tahoe is gorgeous and about 7 hours from where you are moving. You can even throw in some gambling for the weekend.

Aug 6, 2010, 07:37 AM

Thanks a lot for the information its greatly appreciated! I am really looking forward to getting away from all crap I'v been dealing with in NJ. It will be nice to have a complete change of lifestyle =) I will take you up on those recommendations and I will try them out for sure. Staying active and joining a Volleyball league would be a lot of fun as well. I am also sure there are plenty of single woman out there which will help me easily forget the old ex there =p Would you have any recommendations for normal monday-friday jobs just so I can get some income going when I first get out there near my area?? Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2010, 09:18 AM

There are a lot of single women and single men. It seems that most of them come from other states. My guy friends always tried to avoid the natives. ;) If you like to play volleyball there are always games going on at the beach in Santa Monica, or if you want to drive a little further there are always games at Laguna Beach. Laguna is a cute town – lots of shops, art galleries, and places to eat – and is one of the most beautiful beaches, in my opinion.

I am not sure what to recommend job-wise. There are so many businesses and it depends on your experience and interests. There are dozens of nice malls if you are interested in retail or lots of restaurants if you want to go with the standard of hopeful actors (waiter or bar-tending). You will be close to a lot of studios. Burbank and Hollywood are both only 10 miles away. Like I said, this is all out of my field. Your friends might be able to give you a better idea.
    kenny118 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 25, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Have you made the move yet? I'd have some tips for your moving day. To make everything easier you should ask for a moving service to help you out, they can make a world of difference for you. I did that the last time I moved, I got help from <a href="http://www.flatrate.com/san-francisco-mover.html">San Francisco movers</a> to relocate form San Francisco to LA. Hopefully sooner or later this kind of advise will help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Los angeles [ 7 Answers ]

YouTube - Tent cities spring up in LA

TR in los angeles [ 1 Answers ]

Any one knows where to get TR for retouch in los angels, santa monica area? And if my hair is falling out from the last TR, it was 3 months ago, is the new TR going to be applied only to the new hair or the treated hair as well?

View more questions Search